Fear and Loathing in Miami! Carnival sailing questions!

mainieroa1

I have a Carnival cruise coming up and I won't lie, I'm very nervous about the potential of virus exposure. My wife and I are both vaccinated but I know so much is going on with the Delta variant and I've also read that people that have been vaccinated are now contracting the virus again (hopefully my vaccine is recent enough that I'm not at risk of that)! Can anyone who has been on the recent sailings give me some feedback? What is the boarding process like? Temperature scans at all or thorough checking of the vaccination? Are there any rules in place once on board? I obviously want to enjoy the cruise mask free but I'm wondering about tight quarters or tendering when disembarking for the islands. Are they seating strangers together at dinner like they used to? Have rooms seemed to be cleaned thoroughly between sailings? Any info would be greatly appreciated, just want to ease the tension a little bit! Thank you in advance!

There’s plenty of threads detailing experiences from embarkation to debarkation. There’s also tons of YouTube videos you may watch with information that may help your fears or maybe increase them. I will tell you this about my experience. I’m recently off the horizon this past weekend. At no point did I feel unsafe or exposed. I’m now 5 days home after the cruise and haven’t experienced a single symptom for Covid. I disembarked last Saturday. I’m also vaccinated with the J&J if that matters. If you’re unsure or you’re scared, perhaps cruising at this time isn’t for you. I feel like it’ll tarnish the enjoyment. 

• Like 6

We were on the Breeze recently (so out of Galveston, not FL) and I felt like the whole cruising experience is pretty much just like it used to be (so you might not be comfortable yet).  There is no social distancing once you get on the ship.  People crowd into elevators and hallways just as before.  You will come in close contact with people on the stairs.  People sat right next to me at the shows and in the loungers during the outdoor movie (loungers were lined up right next to each other as before).  We had "your time dining" so other people were not seated directly at our table with us, but were just a few feet away.  Although the capacity was significantly reduced, you still come across areas where there are lines or congestion, and I didn't not see anybody leaving a noticeable distance.  Of course the parties and dance floor were crowded as usual.

Embarkation was fairly crowded, but moved quickly.  However once we got up the room where you wait for your group to be called (just before boarding) it was packed, and we were seated (briefly) next to people we didn't know. 

Debarkation was similar to past experience...a long line that kept moving for the most part, but again, no significant distance between people.

I don't recall ever having temperature screened, but yes, I can confirm they closely checked our vaccine cards against our photo ID before we allowed to move on to general check-in.  

And just to clarify, I'm not complaining, none of this bothered me.  I'd get on another ship tomorrow if I could.  But I am trying to give you an idea of what you might experience.

• Like 2

This is great information!  I am cruising on Horizon Sept.26th.  I am not worried about getting covid.  I am vaccinated, as well as my family.  Cruising is one of the only forms of travel where you know for sure that most everyone is vaccinated,  so the chances of getting the virus is very low.  The only ones that won't be vaccinated will mostly be kids, and with the additional charges for testing them and school starting, I doubt there will be very many onboard.

4 hours ago, mainieroa1 said:

I have a Carnival cruise coming up and I won't lie, I'm very nervous about the potential of virus exposure. My wife and I are both vaccinated but I know so much is going on with the Delta variant and I've also read that people that have been vaccinated are now contracting the virus again (hopefully my vaccine is recent enough that I'm not at risk of that)! Can anyone who has been on the recent sailings give me some feedback? What is the boarding process like? Temperature scans at all or thorough checking of the vaccination? Are there any rules in place once on board? I obviously want to enjoy the cruise mask free but I'm wondering about tight quarters or tendering when disembarking for the islands. Are they seating strangers together at dinner like they used to? Have rooms seemed to be cleaned thoroughly between sailings? Any info would be greatly appreciated, just want to ease the tension a little bit! Thank you in advance!

You can only ask these questions if you are driving to Miami in a 1973 red Caprice convertable.  Loaded with all the appropriate supplies, including ether of course.

If you are honestly stressed or worried stay home.  Brutal truth is every cruise is going to have people that get Covid and trest positive.  It's the world we live in.  With that being said if your vaccinated your chances are very low and more then likely if you did get it you would have mild symptoms if any.  Only you can answer if you are willing to take to that risk.  We are leaving on the Horizon on Sunday and could care less about Covid as long as I don't have to wear a mask.   

In the real world (i.e. not on the cruise ship), what are the chances you are surround by people who are (pretty well guaranteed to be) 95% vaccinated, if not higher?  With sanitation measures constantly being implemented as you and you fellow passengers move about the ship?

IMHO, unless you self-isolate at home or stick to bubbles of friends who are 100% vaxxed, you are safer on the ship than at home.

On top of that is the relatively low (but indeed, non-zero) risk of you getting sick because you have been fully vaxxed, should you get exposed to someone on the ship (or at a port or on an airplane).

13 hours ago, mainieroa1 said:

The best thing you can do is stop watching the national news.  Vaccinated people who contract the Delta virus generally don't know they have it or have a cough, sneezing, runny nose..... a cold.  Don't fret it