Paying for toddlers and infants

d4l

Bigerr19, what you say is not correct. The situation has nothing to do with your infant sharing your cabin. It has to do with Coast Guard regulations and the number of spaces in a lifeboat. Each ship has a limit to the number of passengers they can accept regardless of how many cabins they have, due to how many can fit in a lifeboat. For instance, if a family were allowed to book six in one cabin (lets say they have two sets of twins who are under age 4, plus the two adults), even though that cabin would usually hold a max of 4, the number of berths that ship could sell is reduced by 2 because there are two extra in a cabin that's meant for 4. Once a ship has reached it's maximum berth space, even if it has a lot of empty cabins, they can't book any more passengers. So even though your infant is sharing your cabin, the baby counts towards passenger berths and lifeboat space. So, if there are lots of infants, regardless if they are sharing cabins with the parents, once the max number of passengers are reached, and infants are passengers, the cruise line cannot legally sell to full fare passengers despite the fact that they could have 50 empty cabins. That's where the revenue is lost.

My reference to single passengers is germane to this subject in the fact that I was trying to point out that the cruise lines can, and do, charge whatever they want, be it for kids or single passengers.

I have to admit I was wrong on this subject. Yes, having my infant son on board takes up a berth/lifeboat space and reduces the amount of potential drinking/gambling/picture-buying adults that could otherwise be on board. Thanks for you and the others for setting me straight:)

By the way, please don't tell my wife that I admitted I was wrong;)

Bigerr19, what you say is not correct. The situation has nothing to do with your infant sharing your cabin. It has to do with Coast Guard regulations and the number of spaces in a lifeboat. Each ship has a limit to the number of passengers they can accept regardless of how many cabins they have, due to how many can fit in a lifeboat. For instance, if a family were allowed to book six in one cabin (lets say they have two sets of twins who are under age 4, plus the two adults), even though that cabin would usually hold a max of 4, the number of berths that ship could sell is reduced by 2 because there are two extra in a cabin that's meant for 4. Once a ship has reached it's maximum berth space, even if it has a lot of empty cabins, they can't book any more passengers. So even though your infant is sharing your cabin, the baby counts towards passenger berths and lifeboat space. So, if there are lots of infants, regardless if they are sharing cabins with the parents, once the max number of passengers are reached, and infants are passengers, the cruise line cannot legally sell to full fare passengers despite the fact that they could have 50 empty cabins. That's where the revenue is lost.

My reference to single passengers is germane to this subject in the fact that I was trying to point out that the cruise lines can, and do, charge whatever they want, be it for kids or single passengers.

*Sorry if double-post, first one didn't show up?*

I have to admit I was wrong on this subject. Yes, having my infant son on board takes up a berth/lifeboat space and reduces the amount of potential drinking/gambling/picture-buying adults that could otherwise be on board. Thanks for you and the others for setting me straight:)

*Sorry if double-post, first one didn't show up?*

That's gonna cost ya! I think you better look for the rest of us in the thread on your future cruises cause you will owe us all drinks! LOL

Archived