Jewel Specialty Restaurant Question

Tagoladad

I read this board regularly, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen this question…

I know that in the main restaurants, you can order as many appetizers, main courses and deserts as you like, but how does it work in the specialty (surcharge) restaurants? Can you order as much as you’d like? Do they allow you as many appetizers and deserts as you like, but limit you to only one main course? Are all selections limited to one choice?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a glutton (OK, my wife may disagree), but I enjoy trying different things. If they have a chilled melon and avocado soup on the menu, I might want to try it, if they have a pineapple stuffed scallop, I might want to try that too.

We will be on the Jewel this summer sailing the Mediterranean (7/16 sailing) and although we’ve got more than 100 days till we sail, we love talking about the trip and would appreciate any advice you’d have. Thanks.

I read this board regularly, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen this question…

I know that in the main restaurants, you can order as many appetizers, main courses and deserts as you like, but how does it work in the specialty (surcharge) restaurants? Can you order as much as you’d like? Do they allow you as many appetizers and deserts as you like, but limit you to only one main course? Are all selections limited to one choice?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a glutton (OK, my wife may disagree), but I enjoy trying different things. If they have a chilled melon and avocado soup on the menu, I might want to try it, if they have a pineapple stuffed scallop, I might want to try that too.

We will be on the Jewel this summer sailing the Mediterranean (7/16 sailing) and although we’ve got more than 100 days till we sail, we love talking about the trip and would appreciate any advice you’d have. Thanks.

It seems to depend on who your wait person is or so I have heard. I am sure you can order more than one appitizer but the main entree might be a different story. We never have tried so don't quote me on this one. NMnita

The pay extra restaurants on the Jewel are Cagney's, Le Bistro, Chin-Chin, Shusi, Shabu-Shabu and Teppanyaki. The only one that I experienced was Cagney's, I ordered the fillet, it was very good, the cost $25.00 per person. I'm sorry, but I don't know what the cost is in the other restaurants. However, there is no extra charge to eat in Mama's Kitchen and they serve very good Italian food. I was dissappointed the the lunch and dinners served in the main dinning rooms, however Tsar's Palace, one of the main dining romms, did serve a good breakfast.

We just came back today from the Jewel. The Bistro cover was $10. Cagneys was $15 unless you wanted the 1 1/4 lb lobster, that was $25. Be sure to make reservations early. Mama's seems real hard to get into. Food is excellent and there is no cover charge. Also the cover charge is 50% less for reservations BEFORE 6:30.

The pay extra restaurants on the Jewel are Cagney's, Le Bistro, Chin-Chin, Shusi, Shabu-Shabu and Teppanyaki. The only one that I experienced was Cagney's, I ordered the fillet, it was very good, the cost $25.00 per person. I'm sorry, but I don't know what the cost is in the other restaurants. However, there is no extra charge to eat in Mama's Kitchen and they serve very good Italian food. I was dissappointed the the lunch and dinners served in the main dinning rooms, however Tsar's Palace, one of the main dining romms, did serve a good breakfast.

wow, $25 at Cagney's, we have never paid that much. We paid $15 for steak. When were you on the Jewel? NMninta

Just got off the Jewel after 2 wks! Hi Cruisersandr!

1/2 pr. earlybird specials every night (CC info saying that was gone is wrong - it was off during the holidays and is back on) except a la carte & teppanyaki.

The specialty restaurants have absoloutely taken off. Full every night. Chin Chins has a wonderful new extended menu (we first sampled it in Oct. and it is awesome - we had shabu shabu twice).

Prices extremely reasonable. $10 for Bistro and Chin Chin (and filet set menu at teppanyaki), $15 at Cagney's. I've never been on any NCL ship where Cagney's was $25! That is only if you have the special Maine lobster, like cruisersandr said.

Book early! When they allowed making rsvns the day before or day of, people complained that they didn't want to have to keep coming down to reception (or calling) to make rsvns - so now they let you do it all in one fell swoop for the whole cruise (if you wish)....so now people complain that they get closed out if they wait too long.

You can always change up to 5 pm without penalty.

Food was really good. Review to follow.

Both Mama's and Tangos are "free" specialty restaurants, though you need a rsvn. Make them early in the cruise if you can.

Mama's also offers "al fresco" dining if you request a table outside. Some people really liked it, though we were inside both times we went. Fantastic antipasto cart and delicious lasagna.

As for the "pay" restauarants, I'm sure you could have extras if you wanted. At Cagney's you can order several sides and at Le Bistro, pace yourself as there are several courses and the food can be rich (escargot, french onion soup). I've never ordered an extra entree so don't know how that is handled, but perhaps others can help you there.

In the main DR's you can try as many things as you like.

The charge in Cagney's can be as high as $25 - it depends on what you order. We both ordered Filet Mignon and Lobster. We paid $25 each. It was well worth the price. The menu tells you which item has an extra charge.
yes, if you order Steak and Lobster but I think the confusion comes in when a poster indicates it was $25 just for steak. I guess either she just neglected to mention the Lobster as well or wasn't aware of the actual price. NMnita

Archived