Self tours in Belize City and Costa Maya??

tall traveler

our ship stopped in belize last year and we arranged a tour with an independent company... i can't remember the name but i know it's been talked about on the belize boards... they took us by boat over to the cay, we stayed and sunned on the cay and the others on the boat they took snorkeling.... we saw dolphins and manatees on the trip over, quite cool! And they were very good tour guides... i'll look for their name so i can post it.

that was the name of the people we use... they have a good website. We went to caye caulker and just had the best relaxing beach day ever, but after they dropped us off, the rest of the people on the boat went snorkeling... they seemed happy when they returned to pick us up!!! Belize is beautiful... i would love to go back -- enjoy your time there!!

We booked a tour to the ruins in Costa Maya through an independent highly recommended on cruise critic ports of call board. Here is their website:

http://www.chacchobenruins.com/

I emailed them and they responded after a couple of days to confirm our reservation. It cost $43 person rather than the $75 HAL charges.

Enjoy your cruise we are going Mar.18!!!!!!

I am trying to decide whether to take the HAL sponsored tour or the cheaper tour mentioned above. I have heard good things about Ivan and David's tour but have not heard anything about the HAL sponsored tour.

Is the HAL tour worth the extra $$? Is it more convenient (pickup and drop-off right at the pier vs. taking the shuttle into town)? :confused:

My DW and I will be on the April1, Veendam Western Carib. cruise. We are both novices when it comes to excursions.

Thanks for any info you can pass on to us. :)

David

Zandaam April, 2005

Veendam April, 2006

Indeed, taking the shuttle into Majahual and waiting around in the scruffy village was less than wonderful. Not a big hassle, though, and I was really glad I booked with Ivan and David. We got to the ruins before the hordes descended, seemed to have a longer, more leisurely tour than other groups, and David was a really superb guide. Hell, put a little adventure in your life and avoid the HA treadmill. And if you're at all interested in Mayan culture, I'd suggest reading up a bit before you go; David is incredibly knowledgeable, and the more you know, the more rewarding your conversations with him will be.

I really wouldn't take a taxi to Chaccoben. It's a long drive, and considering waiting time, I'm not sure you'd save money. And when you get to the ruins (which are, let's face it, no match for Palenque, Chichen Itza, or Tikal), having a great guide like David will really make it worthwhile.

Archived