Luau's??

dcbjm

We're going to Hawaii 5/17 on Pride of Aloha. I'm in the planning stages and really would love to have that Luau experience. I looked at the shore excursions, but they only go thru 4/16,(Was told it would be updated 60 days before I go on the cruise by NCL) They(NCL) also said that I could get an idea of what the shore excursion would be, by looking at what was there alrready. But i did not see any Luaus(could have missed it I guess):confused: . I was just wondering if anybody knew if I just have to plan this on my own, or if NCL has this as an excursion. I wold really appreciate any information. Thanks Happy Sailing:)

I am sailing on the Pride of Aloha at the end of July with two other couples. I saw Paradise Cove Luau? on a shore excursion list on the NCL website(yes it is not for later this year-but I'm sure the excursions, when posted, will be pretty much the same). I read somewhere on the boards some good and bad reviews of this luau. I have done a lot of research and have decided to book the Old Lahaina Luau in Maui(on the night we stay over). It is supposedly about a 45min drive from the ship. We plan to rent a car that day and end up in Lahaina for shopping and then proceed to the luau($89pp). Check it out.

If you feel like doing your own excursion the Luau in Maui at the Hyatt Regency is EXCELLENT! I have been twice the food is great, alcoholic drinks are included and the show was incredible (lot's of fire dancing). All with a gorgeous setting overlooking Ka'anapali Beach! This link should help.

http://maui.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/activities/onsite/details.jsp?onsiteActId=413

Anthony

If you feel like doing your own excursion the Luau in Maui at the Hyatt Regency is EXCELLENT! I have been twice the food is great, alcoholic drinks are included and the show was incredible (lot's of fire dancing). All with a gorgeous setting overlooking Ka'anapali Beach! This link should help.

http://maui.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/activities/onsite/details.jsp?onsiteActId=413

Anthony

true we have heard it is good but... not authentic as fire is not part of the hawaiin ritual. thats a tahitian adder from moons ago. just sayin-if ya want authentic go for old lahaina luau;)

It's not authentic traditional hula unless it is done topless, that's the way it was before contact with westerners... :)

Oh yeah, and women were never allowed to eat with men.

Pork and bananas for men only.

ah yes... the good old days:rolleyes:

Hi,

I think you are on a repo cruise. We are on the April 22 repo cruise to San fran. That may be why they are not posting the excursions yet. We are not doing an overnight at Maui so those Luau's are out for us. I am looking into luau's on Kauai:)

Happy cruisin'

Lolo

Actually, I think fire dancing is from Samoa, not Tahiti. :) The elaborate headdresses and the hip shaking is from Tahiti.

Spleen

spleen , you seem very knowledgable as pertains to hawaii! have you ever driven to hana the reverse route? in other words...leave early and go up the haleakala way and around thru ulepalakua to beat the crowds to 7 sacred pools and then drive up thru hana? i was wondering if that route is hard to do because of fog on that side in the early am. any thoughts?? thank you

I've never done the reverse route so I'm not sure. But there's at least one reason why I'd probably not do it that way - you've heard about the one lane roads and the dirt/gravel roads on the backside of the road, yes? When you go the reverse route, driving on the right side of the road will place you on the edge of the road, away from the cliff. If you're a driver that's not comfortable with switchbacks and driving on cliffs with no guardrails, you might want to consider doing the road the regular way. Not to say it's bad - but it depends on your level of comfort. Remember the goal of the road is NOT to get to Hana or to even get to the Oheo Gulch. It's the scenery along the way.

My recommendation is still to do the regular route (since all the guidebooks describe the route in clockwise fashion and it's much easier to find stuff that way) and to just start early. I usually recommend being past Paia by 8 AM (earlier if you can do it). When I did it that way, ran into essentially no crowds - and we stopped VERY frequently.

Spleen

Archived