Med/Greek Isles, Multi- generational

snowmouse

We are beginning plans for summer 07 for a family trip. Our party will include us (mid 40's), our kids (16,16,10), Grandpa and his brother (83,85).

Any thoughts on cruise line we may prefer? We have not cruised outside of the Caribbean and the Sr members of our group will be first timers. We are leaning towards RCI or Celebrity, 12 day.

Also, I would love to hear any ideas on shore excursions in the Med that you think might be good for those with limited mobility. Grandpa will probably use a scooter, his brother walks distances quite well. They are especially interested in experiences the Greek islands, will probably sit out some of the ports in Italy and Turkey so they can pace themselves.

I'd pay attention in the brochures etc. to which are "tender ports" and try to get a minimum of them.. for example, Santorini you have to navigate up the cliffs via tram or some tours do disembark by tender and avoid that going but you have it coming back.. More in the Greek Islands will this be an issue. In crowded big cities a ship tour with accessible van may be better as well. The ship isn't the issue on this itin IMHO, it's the ports.

I agree with Caroline in the care you should take in planning your port stops. As for the cruise line, you can't go wrong with either one, in my opinion.

If you're not set on the Greek Isles, you might want to look at companies specializing in inter-generational tours. They usually plan activities that are likely to be of interest to grandpa, you, and the kids.

Regards,

Enrique

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is difficult. For the children RCI would be a good bet but it could be a bit noisy with a lot of announcements for the senior members. A lot of noise around the pool area.

I would place Princess as a step between RCI and Celebrity. They do have a good childrens programme and I being in the over 55 age group found them to suit me better now than RCI.

Saying that I think that Celebrity are a higher product in terms of food service etc.

With trips it is difficult. They will send you a list of excursions nearer the time and then it will speak about distances to walk and level of difficulty etc. Also if you are going in mid summer it will be very hot.

I think others can advise you better on trips as I often just go off and look around and as I live in England have visited a lot of the ports more than once and some many times. I never tire of Dubrovinik and Venice. Also Santorini but there is a lift which takes you to the top but I don't think it is the easiest place for older people to walk around.

Archived