Jewel attire ?????

Minnesota

o.k. I have been on other freestyle cruises like princess but I'm confused about what to wear while attending dinner on the jewel. I have called NCL and they said there is only one optional formal night. But I have also read reviews saying there is two formal nights.

Which is right ?

What should the men and women wear ?

What do people wear on the informal nights ?

Thanks alot for any info. Looking forward to trying NCL....

Ryan

'Dress Code' on the back of the Freestyle Daily reads: "Jeans, shorts and tank tops are not permitted after 5:00PM in the restuarants except Garden Cafe."

For the men: On formal nights there was everything from tuxedos to khakis with a polo shirt. However, I would say that most wore at least dress pants and shirt (with or without a tie).

On 'resort casual' nights, "anything goes." Unfortunetly they do not enforce that dress code and there is a bit of everything.

Sorry, but I don't really recall what most of the women wore. My wife generally wore either a dress or a skirt ... not much help, I know.... but I'm a guy. :cool:

o.k. I have been on other freestyle cruises like princess but I'm confused about what to wear while attending dinner on the jewel. I have called NCL and they said there is only one optional formal night. But I have also read reviews saying there is two formal nights.

Which is right ?

What should the men and women wear ?

What do people wear on the informal nights ?

Thanks alot for any info. Looking forward to trying NCL....

Ryan

I wore "Jimmy-Buffett-Boat-Drink-Shirts" with my Ralph Lauren Chaps dress pants and I fit right in. I brought a dress shirt with tie but found no occasion to wear it. Dress tastefully (no shorts or jeans) and you'll fit in too...

There is certainly at least 1.... perhaps 2... and there has been 3....

Allow me to explain... I'm sure that there will be at least one, because on NCL, there always is.

I have heard of two, and I'm not sure if has something to do with the length of the cruse or not. (Our Dec 2004 sailing on the Star had both an 'optional fomal' and a 'resort elegant' night)

Our Dec 2005 on the Jewel actually had three 'optional formal' nights.... Christmas Day, Day Three, and New Year's Eve.

There are NO REQUIRED formal nights on any NCL cruise. On cruises of 7 days there is one OPTIONAL formal night. On cruises of 10 days or more, there is two OPTIONAL formal nights.

You do not have to dress up any night if you don't want to. Only about 40% of those on board dress up and that ranges from tuxes to shirt and tie. You must be at least in "resort casual" every night in the dining rooms. Resort Casual means no jeans, shorts, t-shirts, etc. in the dining rooms. I usually wear a polo shirt and kahkis. I have never taken any formal attire or even a tie or dress pants on any NCL cruise that I have been on. Freestyle dress is why I sail exclusively on NCL. You can dine any night in any restaurant in resort casual.

So I take they do not have any formal night ?????

Just returned from the Dawn. 10 day = 2 formal nights.

Seems to be less and less passengers dressing up for formal night.

Mostly those who desire a "formal family picture".

2nd formal night very few dressed up.

Also, this cruise was the FIRST where jeans were allowed in the dining rooms.

Signs now read "no shorts or tank tops" at dinner.

I love the idea of not having to lug a gown and extra high heels with me. They are such a burden. The Jewel in the Med this summer will be my first NCL cruise and I'm liking it already and I haven't set sail yet! I would hate to have to bring so much carryon (I can't pack my gowns) on a long, long flight. For me, it will be simple slacks or sun dresses. Yeah!

this cruise was the FIRST where jeans were allowed in the dining rooms.

Signs now read "no shorts or tank tops" at dinner.

I am not happy to hear they now allow blue jeans for dinner. We were on the Jewel, and people were coming to Cagney's with sweatshirts and blue jeans and flip flops. I made comment on the NCL comments card that they really needed to enforce this requirement. I am sorry to hear they have gone the other way and made it more slovenly.

I am not happy to hear they now allow blue jeans for dinner. We were on the Jewel, and people were coming to Cagney's with sweatshirts and blue jeans and flip flops. I made comment on the NCL comments card that they really needed to enforce this requirement. I am sorry to hear they have gone the other way and made it more slovenly.

I agree...I assume majority rules:(

We, apparently, are not in the majority!:rolleyes:

There was a big discussion on this board back in the fall about NCL not enforcing their dress code in the dining rooms. (before NCL removed the no jeans clause). One of the discussions dealt with the fact that some employees may be hesitant to confront passengers who disregard the dress code for fear of a public arguement, bad report to supervisors, or even possible termination depending on the level of complaint. Unfortunately loyalty to employees has taken a back seat to giving in to whinning customers.

Right or wrong, I think NCL realized they were fighting a losing battle and decided to give in on the jeans thing. But...there are many instances reported on this board of sweats, cut-offs and t-shirts being worn to dining rooms, and NCL not doing anything about it. Look at the pattern of what NCL has changed:

1.) One main dining room on a ship reserved for formal attire only on Optional formal night. The Sun was the last ship that did this and from recent reports, it no longer does that now either.

2.) Jeans being allowed in dining rooms.

3.) What's next?

Unfortunately today customers know that compaines hate patrons who make a scene by their arguing and they will use that to get what they want. You also have maitre'd staffs that are afraid of losing their jobs due to complaints and so they look the other way.

Perhaps those of you who have a problem with dress code violators should let the maitre'd know it when you are in the dining room and they allow dress code violators to be seated. Embarass the violators or make the maitre'd aware, firmly, that you are not happy with the situation in obvious violation of NCL's posted rules.

When I cruise with my husband we avoid formal nights just so that he won't have to pack a suit or tux. (Haven't taken a tux in years and years.) When I travel with my girlfriend and if we decide to "do" formal night, we take black anything. Black palazzo pants with a bead or sequin top. Once I took a plain black top and black palazzos and dressed up the UNformal attire with a fancy gold lame shawl and sparklie earrings. I also have a fancy red shawl that will dress up anything black.

As for shoes, I only wear black flats. Nobody looks at shoes anyway. I've seen formals with trains, to pant suits on formal night. My rule of thumb is go comfortably and light.

We opt out of formal night. We are resort casual every night. I was usually in a dress or skirt and DH was in Dockers and a short sleeved "island-y" shirt.

While I don't want to have to dress up every night, I enjoy getting ready for dinner and putting on something nice. Cute summer dresses are easy to pack and take up no room at all.

I did not pack Jeans last year and I won't in April. I wear jeans are home all the time, I want to be different on vacation.

Just got off the Jewel and the Freestyle Daily still reads no jeans, shorts, etc. During the 2 wks on the ship, we heard of people being turned away for both and suggested that they go to the buffet. Still, there may have been those that skipped by.

We tried every spec. restaurant and never saw anyone in blue jeans or shorts.

We chose to bring tux and long dress and the ship was sure sparkling on the one optional formal night each week. At the same time, resort casual was perfectly fine, too, and we really did not see anyone sloppy dressed in the DR's. No Nike wear in sight. Some folks also dressed up at the end of the week (we didn't).

As always, your choice.

Archived