RCI air DFW-Vancouver??

:( Ok, I a bit worried...Booked crusie and air thou RCI (800#). I understand I won't know flight plans till 30 days before ( altho one rep said 30-60 days) My question: Will I get to the dock in plenty of time? I know they said I'd be there 'in time' ('last transfer is 2pm..so arrival time will be before that') But, I don't want to be the last one on board!! I want time to look around and get acculamited (sp?). Am I stressing for nothing?

Also, will our family of 4 get to sit together on the plane? I've got a vision of us being spread all over the plane...(children by strangers, me by some weird-o..etc ;) ) 30 days prior to the flight how many seats together will there be left???

:eek: HELP!!!!!:eek:

Anyone have any info/experince in this area????

Thanks -Kandy:cool:

the cruiseline buys their seats in bulk at a contracted rate, and unless you spring for "custom air" you're pretty much at their mercy. They could spread you around the plane, fly you on weird connections, or pretty much whatever they want to get the best price. It seems reasonable that they would try to seat your party together, but I doubt they make any promises. However, it is THEIR responsibility to get you there on time. If they can't get you there in time that day, they'll try a redeye or the night before. In the unlikely event you do miss the sailing, it's their responsiblity to catch you up.

This is all, of course, worst-case. When I used RCCL air to fly into LAX and out of Vancouver (from/to PHX), I had a direct flight one way and a reasonable connection the other, and it was clear that most of the people around me on the plane were on the same sailing. We arrived in PLENTY of time.

Hi Parrothead,

You have some reason for concern, but you have some options. With the large volume of cruise ship travel, and everyone wanting to arrive at about the same time, there can be problems with flight arrival times, and possible routing through Seattle or other points. By the time the cruise lines purchase your space it is likely that you will have a problem getting four seats together.

One option is to request RCI Custom Air, which allows you to select your airline and itinerary. They will make these reservations upon your request, and you will have early confirmation, and be able to reserve seats. Custom Air will cost you an additional fee per person, but will also include transfers to the cruise ship. You could, of course, make your own flight reservations on the internet which gives you full control of your trip.

The best option is to arrive a day early, and be assured that there will be no hassle about boarding times, or flight delays. Not everyone has the flexibility to schedule that extra day, but with a family of four this can be a great way to start a cruise vacation. Vancouver has some great places to visit, and excellent dining options to fill a relaxed precruise day. This way you can board the ship at your selected time, to avoid the crowds have time for a light lunch, and to get oriented before the sail away.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Petert

One thing. The cruiseline is not responsible for getting you seat assignments. If you booked through a TA it is their responsibility. If you booked through RCI directly, call the Airline as soon as you have your reservation # to reserve your seats. If at that point you can't get 4 seats together. Take whichever ones you have. Then keep looking every day to see if other seats come available. If they don't, get to the airport extra early on the day you fly. That way you'll have a better chance of getting seats together. Airlines keep about 30% of seats back for airport check-in plus they keep bulkhead and exit row seats back and only allow them to be booked on check in. If when you check in you can't get seats together, ask again at the gate. In all of this be polite. A sympathetic gate agent can do a lot for you but you won't get the opportunity if you are confrontational with them.

Thanks, guys...all this is info is helping...I am such a worrier. I've been checking travelocity, and checking into the options of arriving a day early if the $$ allows(a bit more expensive to book on our own it seem...altho...free airport shuttle to hotel, hotel only 5 miles from dock, would have to geta cab to dock, and then back to airport)... I've not flown that much and my kiddos have only had a short flight when they were much younger...so, this has become a huge issue at my home.:(

We do have a 'free' nite stay at a 'major chain hotel' b/c of a travelers program that we are in...I just donno.

I'm not a gambler... I've looked at the flight plans listed on the travel sites and it seems like there are not that many options on the day we sail that would get us in early enough, so ...ugh...

(getting gray by the minute) aren't you glad you don't live with me...;)

Are you saving a whole lot by using cruise air? I know I've always gotten air cheaper on my own, but I do understand it's not always the case.

The one and only time we booked cruise air we were seperated on the plane. Fortunately, a kind woman changed seats with me so I could sit next to my 6 year old. My 9 year old was behind me (that was OK), but my husband was about 4 rows ahead of us. They also booked us a red-eye flight, it was one of the most miserable nights of my life.

I prefer to have some control over my own destiny. Plus, Vancouver is a wonderful city and it is well worth it to fly in a day (or more) early.

Actually, (and I may not be 'searching' correctly) what I am finding is a bit more expensive than what RCI is charging and taking into consideration the 'transfer shuttle' is included, it does seem less $$ to go thru RCI. With that being said..the cost ( about $60 pp extra, I think) to me would be worth the extra day in Vancouver, and getting to dock at a time of my choosing. However the flights I can find at that price get into Vancouver at around 8pm...so, Its kinda 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other. :confused:

You know you can pay the custom air fee and go in a day ahead as well. If you can find an inexpensive hotel, and are willing to pay the custom air fee, it would be worth it to go in a day ahead and you could still choose earlier flights.

Found the hotel...a 'freebee' due to staying with that chain a # of times...points accumilated type of thing. Checked custom air..to $$$ for me...this cruise is already out of our budget, but its an extended family thing with 'sweeties' family, so we are obligated...;) darn the luck, gotta go on a cruise to Alaska;)

So, I'm trying to keep the costs ..uhhh..down, but not having much luck. :p Seems like regular RCI air is cheeper, but the extra cost of 'custom' or going early may and having me be more relaxed may be worth the extra money to my family...;)

Hi Parrotthead,

I can sure understand the squeeze on the budget. There is an option that may help with the air fare. You might look into booking your own air to Seattle, and taking the bus to Vancouver. The bus has a pick up at the Seattle airport, and will usually drop you at or near your destination in Vancouver. If memory serves it is about $50 per person for a two+ hour bus ride. There are cheaper flights into Seattle available with a greater selection of arrival times.

Petert

My SIL is going on 4/24 Splendour Transatlantic. She already OK'ed her air schedule through RCCL, and it is more than 60 days away. She uses a very good local TA, and she always has us approve our air schedule far in advance.

It is my understanding that TA's are notified far in advance of any air schedule and they have to accept or decline the schedule on behalf of the client. I cannot believe that RCCL cannot do this for direct bookings. Or maybe this is one more advantage to a local, dependable TA.

It is a long flight from Texas to Vancouver, most likely with at least one connection. I doubt you could fly here the day of your cruise and make it on time. Therefore, the likelihood of flying on a red eye with RCI air is high. Do you want to put your kids (and you) through that? I wouldn't want to do that with my two! Money may be tight, but your nerves and peace of mind are worth a lot too. Good luck!:)

Hi Parrotthead,

Sorry, but I have given you some bum information. Checked with http://www.quickcoach.com and the actual scheduled times from Seattle to Vancouver are now are nearly five hours from the airport to the downtown Vancouver hotels. Didn't seem that long the last time we took the bus. Fares are a little less than I remembered, and they do carry your baggage in the baggage area. If your still interested the schedule and price details are available on the quickcoach web site.

Petert

Thanks, so much. I think the idea of a 'red-eye' doesnt sound good.(altho, I have not flown a lot and am not real sure what that is..it doesnt sound like fun...who wants red-eyes?!) So, Im leaning toward AirCanada. Flight info looksgood, prices reasonable(just a bit more than RCI), could do the day early thing and get in at about 10:30am.free shuttle form hotel, hotel free,(with 'points' form staying at the chain before several times), hotel >5 miles from cruise terminal...(cab ride?) . Im feeling good about this...:D :D :D

Petert, thanks for the info....5 hours, wow thats a long time..and as it turns out the flight schedule to Seattle is pretty crummy on the days I'd need..and not really much less $$. Thanks for the thought tho. At least I had an option! :)

A red-eye is where you are flying overnight. If you are deep sleepers, not a problem. If you like to arrive somewhere at 6:00am after only having a few hours of broken, uncomfortable sleep, then a red-eye is for you! I have never been able to sleep well on a plane, so I know I would feel absolutely horrible after that!

Archived