Questions About Flights (Delta, First Class) To Cruises

tuggers

I have spent a frustrating afternoon (ALL afternoon, actually ran the battery down on my cordless phone!) trying to get an open jaw, award ticket or upgrade. I have tried to do it online and am shown available seats for award tickets but because it is open jaw, it keeps wanting miles for two flights. When I call, I get India or where ever and they tell me I can do open jaw, but there are no seats! On top of that I have to deal with the language thing and I'm not really sure they get what I'm talking about.

I need to go ATL to LAX and SAN to ATL. Should not be rocket science.

Does anyone know how to get through to a US office? I have tried the Sky Miles number and the Reservation number. I need to get there for about $800. Anyone of you smart people have any ideas?

Do you have an elite frequent flyer account number? I ask because the people who staff the elite phone lines tend to know a lot more and actually get stuff done (even the ones answering the phones in India). My hubby had a problem where the website ate a travel reservation, and even though he had a confirmation number the fare was never actually ticketed. He found out about it about 4 hours before flying, and called in a panic. The first people he talked to weren't so helpful, so I got him to find the special number for elite flyers, and he got someone much more helpful who got him ticketed at the original fare rather than at the last-second walk-up fare.

Another thing is to ask your beloved travel agent for advice. Maybe if you offer to pay her what her comission would have been on the ticket if it weren't an awards ticket, she'd be willing to sort this all out for you.

Tried it. It's still going to charge me 45,000 miles for each flight which is what it charges for an open jaw. I need to do it for the 45,000, which they allow if you can get someone good to talk to!!!

Thanks! And keep thinking!

Tuggers, i know you must have done this kind of search before, so I don't know what the problem is with Delta's site. I just tried it with make believe dates of March 18 ATL to Lax returning Mar 28 San to ATL and got a first class ticket reservation for 45,000 points on two non stop flights leaving ATL on flt 1126 at 7:40 p.m. arr LAX 9:43, and flt 453 leaving San at 11:10 a.m. arr ATL at 6:19.

Both are sky saver flights so the total was 45,000 points. Maybe on your travel days there are only sky choice seats, which as you know, require a double award to book. I've made that mistake before, but luckily it said I didn't have enough miles so it wasn't charged to me. I looked for other dates.

When the award screen comes up it just shows ow and rt, but there is an "other travel options" or something like that, so I clicked that to get multi-city and proceded as stated.

Clarify, when you say open jaw you mean you will not actually be booking the exact flight for your return, right? If you have a general idea of when you'd be returning then it seems the penalty they charge for changing a reservation would be worth it. If you mean open jaw on going and coming, i can see where there'd be a problem, but again, if you just book some reservation with times, dates nd flight numbers, surely you'd have your ticket for 45K miles and then could change both reservations in one fell swoop for one penalty fee. How does that sound?

Good luck!

Clarify, when you say open jaw you mean you will not actually be booking the exact flight for your return, right?

Open jaw means that the city you arrive in on the outbound leg is not the city you depart from on the return leg. For instance, flying San Francisco->Tampa and then San Juan->San Francisco is an open jaw.

Open return means that the date for the return flight is not settled.

Tuggers:

I use my Sky Miles frequently and have had no problem doing it on Delta's website. Our last trip was from ATL to Los Vegas but returning from LaX to ATL First Class on Delta. The total mileage required was 45,000. After signing in to Delta, go to Use Sky Miles. Then make sure you click on "More Options" since you don't want a round trip. This will let you enter a different airport for your return.

If Sky Saver is available for both flights, the mileage required will be 45,000. However, if only Sky Choice is available on one or both legs, you would have to cough up 90,000 miles.

Archived