Waiting for the tip

Amymacc

Can someone please tell me when you make the decision to charge the tips or give cash. I have already completed the pre-boarding SeaPass for our cruise leaving on 2/23 and this question was never asked. I certainly want to do my tipping in cash and in person, it just makes it much more pleasurable to both parties.

Can someone please tell me when you make the decision to charge the tips or give cash. I have already completed the pre-boarding SeaPass for our cruise leaving on 2/23 and this question was never asked. I certainly want to do my tipping in cash and in person, it just makes it much more pleasurable to both parties.

There are two times when you can prepay your tips. Your first option was to do it when you booked your cruise. The tips are charged to your credit card or however you paid for your cruise.

Since you did not prepay tips when you booked, you will have the opportunity to do so once you are on board. You will receive information in your Cruise Compass (along with a form) for prepaying your tips. If I remember correctly, you can do this about halfway through the cruise. The charge for the tips will be placed on your Seapass.

Tips are NEVER automatically charged. You are free to pay cash.

First, Hi, Alexis and Patty!! Just got back on the boards.

I'm just getting more and more reinforcement all the time to no charge my tips. I like the idea of the tip the staff get from us being from US, not a bi-weekly or monthly lump sum.

Gonna go back to cash tipping.

Where have you been? I have searched on here so many times looking for you. You are always here when the CC coupon magazines come out. :D When you did not post I was real concerned.

I agree with the "no charge". If it were me, cash would be my choice.

From talking to so many of them over the years, most of them send their money home to their families who are in other countries. I prefer to make it more convenient for them. They have to feed their kids too. :)

Just my opinion. ;)

That's where I tend to think charged tips are better: I assume they are paid by the equivalent of direct deposit, and furthermore that they (like I) can split the payment or send it to any bank account I like. This would allow a designated portion of the money to wind up directly in the home account. Nothing more convenient than that! Maybe this isn't true, but I have an MBA and I'd bet my room steward knows more about international money transfers than I do. ;)

Having the money in a bank account just seems like a better position to start than having it in a pocket. I understand they they have a bank function onboard, but with cash they still have to deal with depositing it and transferring it. Any way you cut it, this adds a step (or several) to the process of getting the money home. Not to mention the risk of loss, or even theft.

Related question: if I do the vouchers onboard, do I actually have to give them to the person, or will they get paid either way? Is is really a voucher subject to the same conditions as cash, or more of a notification type thing? Sounds like a silly question, but I plan to go mostly casual on Rhapsody next week and would prefer not to have to go to or run into dinner in shorts the last day just to drop off a tip. I'll probably just give them when I'm there mid-week to be safe. :o

That's where I tend to think charged tips are better: I assume they are paid by the equivalent of direct deposit, and furthermore that they (like I) can split the payment or send it to any bank account I like. This would allow a designated portion of the money to wind up directly in the home account. Nothing more convenient than that! Maybe this isn't true, but I have an MBA and I'd bet my room steward knows more about international money transfers than I do. ;)

Having the money in a bank account just seems like a better position to start than having it in a pocket. I understand they they have a bank function onboard, but with cash they still have to deal with depositing it and transferring it. Any way you cut it, this adds a step (or several) to the process of getting the money home. Not to mention the risk of loss, or even theft.

Related question: if I do the vouchers onboard, do I actually have to give them to the person, or will they get paid either way? Is is really a voucher subject to the same conditions as cash, or more of a notification type thing? Sounds like a silly question, but I plan to go mostly casual on Rhapsody next week and would prefer not to have to go to or run into dinner in shorts the last day just to drop off a tip. I'll probably just give them when I'm there mid-week to be safe. :o

In my posting above the one you quoted here, I replied in so many words, that we have been told by the waiters themselves that they prefer the tips in cash.

I would assume that they know how to handle and safeguard their money or I don't think they would tell us that.

I will stay with their request.;)

Now, that is just my opinion. :D

Archived