Odds of Upgrade when part of group / solo traveller

SATXLady

I am going on my very first cruise next April. I am going with part of a large group and I am booking as a solo in an 8A. (The group is only offering 4A, 6A, 8A, and 8D.)

I will be happy with the 8A but certainly would be even happier if I got an upgrade. So I have two questions: Do they upgrade folks who book as part of a large group the same as they do those who book through other venues? Are they more likely to upgrade a couple than they are a single (I'm paying the same as the couples) or are the odds about the same.

It's sure going to be difficult to wait 11 months for this cruise, especially reading all the comments on this board. Now that I've decided to go, I want to go NOW.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2005;4;3;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Carnival Pride, 4/3/05

If you want to be upgraded, I would insure you are on a guarantee and not an assigned cabin. Your chances are better.

<html>

<head>

<title></title>

</head>

<body>

<font color="#FF0000">Grand Princess 2-2001</font>

<font color="#0000FF">Grand Princess 12-2001</font>

<font color="#FF8000">Carnival Paradise 3-2002</font>

<font color="#FF00FF">Carnival Destiny 10-2002</font>

<font color="#008000">Golden Princess 10-2003</font>

<font color="#0000A0">Carnival Legend 6-8-2004</font>

dice.gif

</body>

</html>

• 2 months later...

Odds are usually pretty good you'll get upgraded a deck or so (which is basically the difference between 8A and 8D anyway.. same cabin, just a higher deck..and higher price when initially booking.)

Every cruise I have been on was with a group and I've been upgraded a deck or so every time. Going from an inside to an outside (i.e., Cat 4 to Cat 6 or 8) is a lot less likely, but moving up within the same range (4A to 4B, 8A to 8B or 8C or such) has much better odds. And with a group that size it doesn't really matter anyway as you'll be surrounded by fellow cruisers within the group as they tend to get the cabins as much together as possible on each deck.

Andrea in Atlanta

My first question is why are you not paying the single rate?

An 8A cabin rate is 200% for solo cruisers, so she IS paying the same amount for her cabin as the couple is paying for their cabin.

As a solo cruiser, I HATE paying that much, but I understand the reasoning. I usually book 1A w/porthole at 150%. Anything above that is 200% for singles.:rolleyes:

An 8A cabin rate is 200% for solo cruisers, so she IS paying the same as a couple.

As a solo cruiser, I HATE paying that much, but I understand the reasoning. I usually book 1A w/porthole at 150%. Anything above that is 200% for singles.:rolleyes:

That is crazy!!! I lobbied for people to go on my next 2 cruises as to not have to pay single rates... Cruiseships need to do something that makes it more attractive for the singles :rolleyes:

Well, I totally agree. BUT, that's their policy, and on some cruise lines, they don't even offer the 150% - ONLY 200% for any solo cruise. Now that's the pits!

I'm not being a smartypants here, but you probably should've done more research before you lobbied. Hope it works out for you.:)

It would be nice if Carnival had "solo cruise specials" where there was no single supplement for 1A or 4A cabins on selected dates. Actually now its more like 125% for 1A cabins

I can understand why they charge singles more. Think of all the revenue they would lose if 3 "enterprising" couples decided to book a row of aft balcony cabins as singles. They could get 6 balcony cabins for the price of 3.

It would be nice if Carnival had "solo cruise specials" where there was no single supplement for 1A or 4A cabins on selected dates. Actually now its more like 125% for 1A cabins

Yes, it would be VERY nice, and I could certainly cruise more often!

WHERE have you seen 125%??? To my knowledge, the lowest Carnival offers is 150%.

It would be nice if Carnival had "solo cruise specials" where there was no single supplement for 1A or 4A cabins on selected dates.

Sometimes they do offer "solo specials". I was able to book a 4A no single supplement a few years ago on the Spirit. It was a last minute booking though, so perhaps the reason they waived the supplement.

Spoilt

Archived