Which Ft Lauderdale hotel?

amc40

I am looking for a 2 night precruise hotel next to the beach and within walking distance of shops/restaurants. I don't want to rent a car. I have narrowed my search down to 3: Bahia Mar Hotel/Marina $170, Holiday Inn Ft Lauderdale Beach $155,and Sheraton Yankee Trader $239. I'm leaning towards the yankee trader, but it just seems like too much money. Has anyone stayed at any of these hotels? Can you offer advice or opinions on the hotels? My cruise is in April.

Thanks so much.

Anne

We stayed at the Bahia Mar last year in March. We got it on priceline for $65.00/night. After doing quite a bit of research I had it narrowed down to the following if I bid on a 3 Star. As they were all quite acceptable we went ahead and bid and got it. Great place, great beach, walking distance to lots of bars and food.

3*:

Sheraton Yankee Clipper Resort - $185.00/Night

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/search/hotel_detail.html?propertyID=664

Doubletree Suites Galleria 159.20/Night

http://www.doubletree.com/en/dt/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=FLLTSDT

Doubletree Oceanfront Hotel $170.10/Night

http://www.doubletree.com/en/dt/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=FLLLADT

Holiday Inn on the Beach $160.00/Night

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hd/FLLSB?&sourceid=qIpcQZfvEyFhAm2ze7yv&

Sheraton Yankee Trader $185.00/Night

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/search/hotel_detail.html?propertyID=0663

Radisson Bahia Mar $199.00/Night

http://www.radisson.com/ftlauderdalefl

Please note that I just copied and pasted from last years notes so the price per night isn't correct. If you have any specific questions about the Bahia Mar, please feel free to ask.

Hope this helps.

Diane

Diane,

Thank you for the response. What part of the Bahia Mar did you stay in? It is 169.00 for a courtyard view on their site. I'm afraid to use priceline, since I need a room for 5 people. Did you feel it was a safe area? Last year we stayed at Sheraton Yankee Clipper, is Bahia Mar in the same area? I've noticed the prices have gone up quite a bit from last year.

Anne

When are your dates of travel??

The two major restaurant/shopping areas are Las Olas Blvd and SE17th Street. Neither will provide a beachfront hotel.

Rates in Ft Laudedale are higher than I can remember in many years.

The Holiday Inn you mention. scratch it off your list. It is dreadful.

The rest of the hotels....beach yes, but not convenient to shopping unless you want to take the water taxi and hoof it.

I would opt for SE 17th Street properties, make due with a pool... and everything is right at your feet...... all sorts of restaurants, bars....the supermarket.. drug stores... etc.

Diane,

Thank you for the response. What part of the Bahia Mar did you stay in? It is 169.00 for a courtyard view on their site. I'm afraid to use priceline, since I need a room for 5 people. Did you feel it was a safe area? Last year we stayed at Sheraton Yankee Clipper, is Bahia Mar in the same area? I've noticed the prices have gone up quite a bit from last year.

Anne

Hi Anne - our group stayed at the Bahia Mar one night precruise in January and thought it was perfectly fine! The courtyard view rooms are in a separate wing across a walkway that passes the walkway to the pool, not far at all from the main tower building. That same walkway takes you across the busy street to the beach. I'd compare the rooms to a Ramada Inn or Holiday Inn. Except for one young woman at check in who definitely needed an attitude adjustment, the staff was very friendly and helpful.

We enjoyed the Oasis Cafe about a 10 minute walk down the beach. We thought the area to be perfectly safe and we walked back from one of the water taxi stops at 10 at night. There is a water taxi stop just to the side of the hotel, very convenient, and I highly recommend the water taxi, especially at night. Very nice being out there in the warm air looking at these million dollar homes on the waterway.

I don't think the Yankee Clipper is very far down the road but can't be positive. I got a great rate for courtyard rooms back when I booked mid year last year ($139) but I've never seen it that way since.

If we were to go back to Fort Lauderdale, we would probably choose the Bahia Mar just for the location and price (unless it goes way higher in which case I'm always a Priceline fan but knew that mid January would be tough with PL).

Diane,

Anne

We stayed in the main building. We had a wonderful view of the ocean. Our friends had a room facing the marina. I have never seen so many yachts in my life. There is a nice little store with a deli that we bought sandwiches and snacks and had a picnic on the beach. We really enjoyed our stay here.

Here is a picture from our room which I think was on the 5th floor. You can see the walkway that goes from the hotel right to the beach.

Ft.%20Lauderdale0040.jpg

Thanks everyone. I just booked it for 2 nights, the week following Easter that's probably why prices are so high.

msolberg, thanks for the picture, it brings back memories of last year, I can't wait to be there!

Do they offer chairs on the beach and is there a fee? How are they about checking in early?

anne

There were picnic tables at the beach but no beach chairs.

We were there during spring break last year and down the beach about 1/4 - 1/2 mile, across from the bars is where all the action was. It was funny how everyone just seemed to vacate their personal belongs and head to the bar. I would have loved to beach comb at about 6:00 in the morning to see what I could find. We saw coolers, chairs, towels, everything just left there at night. FLL does a really great job of keeping the beaches clean - the next day the stuff would all be gone.

We ended up buying some really cheap beach towels at that little store on property to take to the beach to sit on.

Have a great trip.

Diane

I booked through priceline for 3/25 for one night at $120 at Holiday Inn beach. It has not gotten a lot of good reviews on this board...most say that it is just worn out.

I think the price is reasonable, especially with spring break.

However, we are only staying for the night and am not planning on spending a lot of time in the room. I thought that it is at least across from the ocean and we can walk on the beach, etc. We have rented a car for the day,so we can get out and do stuff.

Besides being worn out.....do you guys know of any other real concerns about this hotel???

Lisa,

You should switch hotels! You can always store your luggage in our room if yours isn't ready yet. Did they let you check in early last year?

I hope the weather is good while we're in Ft. Lauderdale. I think I might just pack a couple of beach towels and a soft mini-cooler. I'm really looking forward to getting out of this cold and relaxing on the beach.

Hello, I haven't seen anything mentioned about Hyatt Pier 66 in a while... what is up with this hotel. I read some posts a while back that said it was awfull.... should be stay away? Our cruise is 4/8/06 on the Jewel and we would like a nice pre-cruise stay - we were thinking of the Hyatt, but now I am a little nervous.. Thanks for any input.

Archived