Positive Covid Test whilst on RC!

Dear OP, thank you for this informative review.  It is greatly appreciated!  I just wanted to ask, what kind of test (antigen or PCR/NAAT) was given to you before being allowed to leave and return to the UK.  I ask this because as a Canadian we currently require a PCR test to return home.  This adds another layer of concern for us.  Also, which type of test did you bring with you from home.

23 hours ago, lakelivin2 said:

Dear OP, thank you for this informative review.  It is greatly appreciated!  I just wanted to ask, what kind of test (antigen or PCR/NAAT) was given to you before being allowed to leave and return to the UK.  I ask this because as a Canadian we currently require a PCR test to return home.  This adds another layer of concern for us.  Also, which type of test did you bring with you from home.

Ironically there was no test to leave, we just had to serve our time in isolation. I think it depends on the protocols for your destination, for the U.K. we have to test 2 days after returning home. But I think for the USA and Canada you may need to test before that flight home. 

• Thanks 1

I'm so sorry to hear that your vacation was disrupted and your daughter tested positive. I'm glad you're all okay and she recovered without issue. Thank you so much for being responsible in regards to COVID and not ignoring her cough. Also, great work staying calm and going with the flow. 

I think this situation is a great reminder (not directed at OP,  just general advise) to cruisers to be aware of the rules and regulations (and just the vibe in general) for every country you plan to visit, especially your embarkation and disembarkation ports. Someone kept bringing up the COVID-positive cruisers in Cyprus that got put up in villas - yes, if you are familiar with Cyprus then you will realize the accommodation situation there, in general, is more 'luxurious' than what you'll find in Barcelona. There's also only about 800 hotels on Cyprus total. Budget accommodations there are usually guest houses or B&Bs that aren't equipped for quarantine. While you'll find ultimate luxury in Barcelona, you'll also find thousands more low budget dumps. You just can't compare the two. Also, as stated previously, the Spanish government handles all quarantine accommodation and it's been widely publicized that conditions in Spanish quarantine hotels is less than acceptable. If you're okay with the possibility, that's great. If you're not okay with that possibility, it's best to choose a different destination (or cruise). 

Check the countries you plan to visit and know their procedures if you test positive. This should be the first thing anyone does when traveling right now, land or sea. Each country makes their own rules and the cruise lines may not have any say in the matter. Check to see what the designated quarantine hotels are like for your destinations (if they have them - otherwise the cruise line or you arrange your own). If you're not okay with the possibility, don't go. There's a worldwide pandemic going on and whether one agrees with the precautions or not, this is the way the world currently is. So we must accept all possibilities or not travel. 

I think it's worth it but I totally respect that others may not feel the same. We are travelers that tend to keep to ourselves and not interact with others and we have a lot of flexibility with schedules and finances. So far, we've had some great overseas land trips. We have two cruises in the next two months and they'll be our first during the pandemic. I'm hoping they'll go just as smoothly but we are prepared if it isn't so smooth - it takes a lot of the stress out of the equation to know ahead of time and have things in order. Good to know RCI is still trying to assist best they can. 

• Like 2