Manulife Now to Cover COVID-19 for Canadian Cruisers!!

Cruise Cynic

• Cruise Cynic changed the title to Manulife Now to Cover COVID-19 for Canadian Cruisers!!

I already have health and travel insurance with Manulife through work.  I wonder if I'm already covered or if I have to buy additional...  I'm cruising in March 2022 though so Royal has already said they will cover quarantine expenses up to April 30, 2022 so I may not need it.

5 hours ago, Cruise Cynic said:

Do you know if there's anything new in here related specifically to cruises that wasn't there a few days ago?  I read it last week and it appears nothing has changed in the wording.

I just called Manulife a few minutes ago. The agent I spoke with only minutes ago was adamant that cruise travel would not be covered under the Pandemic Travel Plan.  I read him the relevant quote from the article. He said he thought that would be some special relationship that was set up with travel agents, and if that's the case, then I would have to buy it from one of those travel agents because Manulife will not cover covid related expenses related to cruising. 

This whole experience is frustrating. Given the range of answers you can get depending on which agent answers the phone, I don't have much confidence in the accuracy of the information I am being given.

This agent's take was that the "Avoid all travel" exclusion would override all other clauses, but would it?

1 hour ago, macandlucy said:

Do you know if there's anything new in here related specifically to cruises that wasn't there a few days ago?  I read it last week and it appears nothing has changed in the wording.

I just called Manulife a few minutes ago. The agent I spoke with only minutes ago was adamant that cruise travel would not be covered under the Pandemic Travel Plan.  I read him the relevant quote from the article. He said he thought that would be some special relationship that was set up with travel agents, and if that's the case, then I would have to buy it from one of those travel agents because Manulife will not cover covid related expenses related to cruising. 

This whole experience is frustrating. Given the range of answers you can get depending on which agent answers the phone, I don't have much confidence in the accuracy of the information I am being given.

This agent's take was that the "Avoid all travel" exclusion would override all other clauses, but would it?

I read the policy again and it’s not clear regarding cruise especially when Canada issued a travel advisory “avoid all cruises”. I’m sticky with the cruise line insurance and Blue Cross insurance. 

They specifically mention (and don’t exclude) cruise travel-

“Exception: Important information about cruise travel - If you have not received the vaccine, this policy does not provide any coverage for Coronavirus (COVID-19) and related complications on a cruise or at any destination included in your cruise itinerary.
This exception for cruise travel does not apply to children 11 years old or younger who are not eligible to receive the vaccine, when travelling with at least one parent or guardian on the same cruise booking who has received the vaccine.”

Yes, I think that's where we are getting hung up. Since they mention cruises, describe exclusions etc., it implies that cruises are covered. The Manulife agent said that cruises would be covered if there was no travel advisory to avoid all cruise travel. But since there is, that trumps everything. 

I imagine someone could fight this in court since it's somewhat unclear, and advice given by Manulife agents can change depending on who you are speaking with.  Seems like a grey area. But I don't want to go to court 😉

Bit of an update though -- I called a travel agent and she said she's getting all sorts of emails about this. She said Manulife is going to be providing coverage for cruises, effective November 18, 2021. Their coverage, from what I can tell, (and as of today) does include trip interruption (if you had to isolate/quarantine for example. But give the policy a good read to be sure, it's hard to know what may or may not change.

I am not a lawyer but...

The language of their contract seems to indicate that only level 4 travel advisories that concern geographic locations are excluded, not methods of travel:

when an official travel advisory issued by the Government of Canada states, "Avoid all non-essential travel" regarding the country, region or city of your destination,

I also just spoke with Manulife as this is who carries our work benefits & insurance.

The agent assured me that our work issued policy would have me completely covered for any illness while out of province including Covid.  There are no exclusions for cruise travel and vaccination status is not considered. Wow!

Do I believe this?  Not for a moment.  But I am confident with what limited coverage the Manulife policy has plus my credit card benefits and most importantly the Covid protection that Celebrity is providing that we can safely travel.

• Like 1

I just received a letter from Manulife on their letterhead with the following in it:

image.png.dde39cb962ad6ff2ea17053941dc28ff.png

So, some good news.  Of course return to home by private charter may not be covered unless ordered by a doctor and certainly any quarantine costs would also not be covered, but have medical for Covid is important and covered.

I think we have exhausted the discussion on pandemic travel insurance!

Hi everyone

Hoping not to add to the confusion

i spoke to Manulife today, as I am considering their “Cover Me” travel insurance.  The rep I spoke to says that due to the Level 4 warning on cruising, they will not cover medical expenses due to COVID but will cover emergency medical on cruises.

We are sailing with Royal Caribbean who have a “We’ll get you home policy” if one of us gets COVID-19, so I think we’re covered.

1 minute ago, Canadian Mom Cruiser said:

Hi everyone

Hoping not to add to the confusion

i spoke to Manulife today, as I am considering their “Cover Me” travel insurance.  The rep I spoke to says that due to the Level 4 warning on cruising, they will not cover medical expenses due to COVID but will cover emergency medical on cruises.

We are sailing with Royal Caribbean who have a “We’ll get you home policy” if one of us gets COVID-19, so I think we’re covered.

I posted this in the other thread on travel insurance and covid, but it's also relevant here:

There's a nice, clear table in this link that explains Manulife's very recent changes:

https://media5.voyagesbergeron.com/media/promotion/2021-11/351/revised-en-manulife-update-regarding-october-21-gov-t-of-canada-travel-advisory-change-november-1-with-cruise.pdf

• Thanks 2

Did anyone ever figure this out for sure? I think with manulife and if you’re on a Royal cruise you should be covered.

If you are on an RCCL cruise, their insurance covers medical treatment on board, quarantine and getting you home. Manulife will cover the land-based expenses once you get off the ship. 

what royal’s insurance DOESN’T seem to cover is LAND-based medical AFTER you get off the ship. And that’s where manulife should cover the gap. For example, if you have trouble breathing or need a course of pharmaceutical treatment when you get off the boat and you end up going to an ER for a night. That could be a few thousand right there. Vaccinated people are moreover OK after getting COVID but the Amount of symptomatic cases aren’t negligible. Of a group of about 9 vaccinated people I knew who got COVID from a gathering, about 5 had symptoms, of which 3 considered going to hospital. In the end they all recovered without going. 

Let us know what everyone found out about the manulife coverage. 

On 11/2/2021 at 1:37 PM, macandlucy said:

I have called them as well at the end of last week and got the same answer: "As long as cruises are under Level 4 we will not cover". 

So I called somewhere else... And bought travel insurance from another company that covers cruises. 

Edited by La_Souris