"Private Island Snorkling": excursion question

cruiser01

Below is a description of an excursion offered on GSC (Spirit 3/12). My question is the following: It says that there are "complimentary guided tours". Are these tours only available if you pay for this excursion? or can I bring my own snorkle/mask and join these free tours?

GREAT STIRRUP CAY, BAHAMAS

PRIVATE ISLAND SNORKELING

Approximate Duration: All day

One of our most popular programs, this snorkel experience is perfect for beginners and experts alike. You’ll have your equipment all day, so you can snorkel when you feel like it. Ask any of the instructors on the beach for a free lesson, and then you’ll be ready to explore the exciting underwater world of NCL’s very own private island. Swim or wade around in the sandy shallows to check out the many schools of fish and our artificial reef. Or if conditions permit, swim outside the cove and discover deeper water and coral formations. You might even meet Bert & Ernie, our friendly resident stingrays. Your knowledgeable Dive In instructors will even snorkel around the cove with you to point out the local marine life during our complimentary guided tours, which depart from the beach hourly.

I was at GSC 4 years ago on our first cruise (just booked our 4th) from what i can remember you only pay if you are renting their equipment. You can get the guided tour whenever it is being offered and there is no charge for it. I remember them telling us to sign up for the snorkeling that has no charge so that you can be on the first few tenders over. hope this is of help. We loved GSC it is just a nice laid back day with free food and fun!!!

I loved Grand Stirrup Cay. Great snorkling. I always bring my own gear. I think they charge $10-$15 for a snorkel and fins. I think the vests were free. They make everyone wear one I believe. It's easy to tag along on the guided tours. Just hang at the back. Been doing that for years. Don't miss the barracuda that live in the lagoon. They're so used to people they're almost tame. You can swim right up to them. They won't bother you.

We were at GSC a couple of weeks ago and yes you can bring your own gear. You must however wear a life vest if you are snorkeling but these can be signed out for free. I did not see any guided tours going on while we were there just a lot of people snorkeling on their own but there may have been tours that I missed.:rolleyes:

Archived