Sodas on plane

EastTNcruisin'

What's your experience flying with sodas in checked luggage? Do they explode?

I have a friend that tried that on a flight from Orlando to Chicago -- and he had quite mess when he arrived at the convention - I was at the hotel when he arrived ... and clothes and all were a mess -- despite being in a plastic bag. There are stores close enough to purchase ... rather than soak the formal or tux.

Consider the weight limit for flyng...you might want to reconsider doing that and just ask your cab driver to stop at a store on the way tot he pier.

I've never had a problem with the plastic bottles of Coke in my luggage. As a point-of-reference I used to put glass bottles of Coke in the freezer to get them cold, but if you forget about them they will explode (so will the cans), but I've had the plastic bottles freeze solid w/o exploding.

In my luggage I put them (plastic bottles) in Zip-Lock bags just to be safe, but I've never had a problem. For a seven day cruise I found an 8-pack of the newer 12 ounce bottles to be just the right amount.

John

Not that this is really a cruise question but I have flown numerous times with cans of soda in checked luggage. There is no problem with cans exploding unless they are already damaged. The luggage compartment is kept at the same pressure as the cabin (look at how many animals travel down there).

If you think the cans might explode how do you think that the flight attendants are able to use cans in the cabin.

Archived