Present Labadee Condition

baldilocks

Does anyone have a present condition report on Labadee? I have heard that after the earthquake, the government turmoil and lack of use that squatters have moved in and have done considerable damage to the housing units and equipment. Rumors are that Royal is looking for a new destination to develop. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 11:53 PM, baldilocks said:

Does anyone have a present condition report on Labadee? I have heard that after the earthquake, the government turmoil and lack of use that squatters have moved in and have done considerable damage to the housing units and equipment. Rumors are that Royal is looking for a new destination to develop. 

Hmm, can't speak as to the current conditions at Labadee, but Royal (along with others) IS building a new cruise port just to the east of Puerta Plata in the Dominican Republic.  

Carnival has already built their "Amber Cove" cruise port a few miles west of the same town.  Since construction of the new port has been delayed, I've seen where some Royal and Norwegian ships have been stopping at Amber Cove, which is -- to say the least -- unusual.  

16 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Hmm, can't speak as to the current conditions at Labadee, but Royal (along with others) IS building a new cruise port just to the east of Puerta Plata in the Dominican Republic.  

Carnival has already built their "Amber Cove" cruise port a few miles west of the same town.  Since construction of the new port has been delayed, I've seen where some Royal and Norwegian ships have been stopping at Amber Cove, which is -- to say the least -- unusual.  

Thank for your update. The DR seems to be a more stable place to build a cruise ship 'island'. I have been to the DR on business. While not exactly the safest country in the Caribbean, it is heads above Haiti.

I get a lot of comments from people who have visited the DR that it was very safe. I ask, 'Did you go out of your compound?' Most answer, 'No'. The DR can be safe if you watch what you are doing and don't do a midnight stroll on the beach. The engineer that followed me six months later did that with his wife. He spent three weeks in a hospital in serious condition after being stabbed and robbed on the beach.

On 12/1/2021 at 11:29 AM, baldilocks said:

I get a lot of comments from people who have visited the DR that it was very safe. I ask, 'Did you go out of your compound?' Most answer, 'No'. The DR can be safe if you watch what you are doing and don't do a midnight stroll on the beach. The engineer that followed me six months later did that with his wife. He spent three weeks in a hospital in serious condition after being stabbed and robbed on the beach.

Yep.  As long as you're careful, stay in a group or public places or go on an excursion, you should be fine.  

I DID notice that when we returned to Amber Cove from an excursion, there were armed guards at the port entrance...and they carefully checked every person's ship card (but not photo ID) before allowing our van into the port area.