Hyatt Regency Pier 66 Update

seamare

We arrived on Feb 10 for our one night precruise stay. We arrived around 1PM and were told that there were no rooms available yet, go to the pool area to wait and return in two hours. As we waited, we saw people arriving at their rooms by the pool side. When we came back at 3 we were told again the same story. We asked how that could be as we saw people moving into their rooms, and were told that as they come available, if someone is checking in, they will get that room. They offered to upgrade us to a tower room or a better room for $100 extra, I Don't Think So! So we said we would stand there and wait, which they weren't real happy. I have to give the girl credit, she then tried, finally said she could get us into a marine side room. I hesitated to take that room as I had read in previous post that these rooms were not renovated and were really bad. She assured me that this one was, and that it had only been in service for a month. She also said that this would have been a $100 upgrade, but she wouldn't charge us. So we took the room.

It was very nicely done, completely remodeled. The drawback to the marine side is that you do have a small balcony, but the sidewalk is right next to it and the boats are no more than 20 feet from you. We then took their shuttle to the Bahi hotel, close to the beach. The shuttle runs on the hour, the last one being at 6 PM.

The pool area was ok. The plantings were small. The hot tub pool was not opened, wondered if it was the dangling light bulb some had wrote about earlier.

We did incure the $12 resort fee on our bill, but when I checked out I stated that this was not in effect when I made the reservation and they removed it without hesitation. We were on a Princess cruise and it was only a $6 cab ride to the pier. Any other questions, I will try to answer.

You do know that Blackstone Group has purchased this property as well as the Marriott Marina, which is just across the canal. Should be interesting to see what they do with the Hyatt--private property or who would run it as a hotel.

Only rumored that Marriott will become condos. Sure hope not. I believe they close this month (Feb.)

seamare, thanks for this update. I'll be there one night on April 1st, and I was very interested in your comments.

I assume you booked through priceline? Do you feel that you were treated differently as a result? Did you get a chance to utilize either the bar or any eating venues?

Thanks for your comments.

Yes I did book through Priceline - $125. I do feel that we were treated differently, probably why we had to wait for our room and then in the location that was offered to us. The tower rooms were not an option to us unless we were to pay an extra $100. They also said the occupancy was filled for the nite.

We did not eat at any of the Hyatt restaurants, seemed rather pricey - sandwich or salad at the pool for approximately $15. The hotel restaurant was quite expensive. That is why we took the complimentary beach shuttle and ate at the Oasis.

Sorry to butt in but I also booked thru Priceline for this hotel for end of January. Paid 120 for night, arrived at hotel Sunday at 11am, was warmly greeted by staff, given a beautiful lanai room overlooking pool with terrace and allowed to check in immediately. Had a wonderful time. No resort fee added, prices for food were quite up there, but food was also very good. I would definitely stay there again. Just thought I'd let you know.

we stayed here late January and did not experience any difference in treatment due to using priceline. We arrrived late as our flight didn't get in until almost midnite. We asked about a tower room at check-in and were accommodated w/o any upcharge (didn't hurt that the desk clerk was from Cleveland and I grew up there).

Had a nice view of the port from our balcony. I saw nothing wrong w/ the lanai rooms though. We didn't get inside one, but could see the patios or balconies from the pool area and they seemed fine plus those rooms are closer to the pool if that is important. The only thing you sacrifice is the port view and not ALL tower rooms even have that.

Would agree that prices in the restaurants were high but that is to be expected in any 4 star hotel.

One note of caution if you have any mobility issues, it is quite a hike to the pelican bar and then you have to climb a flight of stairs to get to it. This is also where you catch the water taxi for the hotel.

Web site rate at the time we booked was almost $250 and we got it on priceline at $150 so no complaints here.

I'm glad some have had better experiences checking in, I'm just writing what happened to us. As far as the water taxi, beware that they are also experiencing financial difficulty and the price is now $10 and the times are not as frequent or posted as in the past.

Hi Everyone,

"STUPID ???" what is a water taxi??

I am planning on booking this hotel September 9th for are pre cruise stay?

I will be needing to book 8 rooms and i called and they gave me a price of $119.00 per room!

Is it better getting a taxi to the port????

or the hotel shuttle?? How much is the hotel shuttle??

Another ??

I will be on Royal Caribbean Freedom of the seas

how do i know to tell the taxi driver or shuttle drive where to go.

I have cruised many times and always went the day of the cruise, and got RCC transfers from the hotel, so all this pre cruise is new to me please help!!!

thanks

Hi,

As far as I know the Hyatt does not have a airport shuttle. You will need to take a cab from the airport and to the pier. Both are short distances and will not cost a lot. The water taxi is not used for airport and pier transfers.

We use the water taxi for transportation to restaurants and attractions and the beaches. It is great for a 1-2 day pre or post cruise stay. It is a covered boat which has various stops in the Fort Lauderdale area. There is a stop at the Hyatt which makes it convenient to use. You pass expensive homes and they give you a running commentary of the houses and sites in general. You pay by the day with on and off privleges. I have heard that they have raised the price to $10 per day.

Gail

Bequia, I have a question regarding the water taxi. We are staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 and have tickets for King Tut exhibit. Would the water taxi get us anywhere close or should we take a regular taxi?

Thanks in advance,

raider23

The water taxi is a great way to see the homes of the rich and famous. They recently raised their rates to $10 per person. A regular taxicab may be cheaper. If you decide to take the water taxi I'd take it to stop number 11. It's an easy walk from there. (some may say stop 10 is closer, either way they're both close enough) ;)

From their website:

"Ft. Lauderdale Water Bus Fares & Tickets

Water Bus Tickets -Tickets can be purchased on board, and must be paid with cash, travelers' checks, or local-area personal checks.

Fare Details (Effective Feb 9, 2006)

All-Day Pass $10.00

Unlimited rides all day.

Water Bus Tickets are not redeemable, refundable, or transferable.

Damaged, illegible tickets are invalid and will not be replaced by Water Bus or its authorized distributors.

US Coast Guard Regulations limit our boat's maximum capacity. Seating is subject to availability."

Archived