Roatan Canopy Tours

SunLoverRB

Who can provide comparative information relative to the experiences of the 2 different canopy tours available on Roatan? One option as I understand it is near West End and the other Palmetto Bay. Which provides the best "thrill-seeker" type experience? Which accompanying beach area is the most enjoyable? What local operators do you recommend. I have a group of 23 persons - mostly teenagers...thanks

Who can provide comparative information relative to the experiences of the 2 different canopy tours available on Roatan? One option as I understand it is near West End and the other Palmetto Bay. Which provides the best "thrill-seeker" type experience? Which accompanying beach area is the most enjoyable? What local operators do you recommend. I have a group of 23 persons - mostly teenagers...thanks

Both canopy tours are fun, however, the one at French Harbour is the newest.

It does not have a beach adjoining it, but there are beaches within only a few minutes.

Doing the West Bay canopy tour must be booked though the cruiseship, whereas doing the one in French Harbour can be done independently.

• 1 month later...

I have been on two of the three (sorry Murray) tours. The newest one near West Bay has 13 zips and was quite enjoyable and $10 cheaper than the other two. You are located within minutes of West Bay and West End. The other in Palmetto was enjoyable with zips and various styles of bridges as well. My wife enjoyed the West Bay one better, I thought they were about equal. The remaining tour is the one the ships use. It ends up at the beach and have read that it is fun as well. I think you would enjoy either of the bunch. West Bay has the nicest beach but as Captain Van suggested there are beaches near the other as well. Some hotels, for a price, will also allow you access to their facilities as well. Good luck.

Mac

How physically demanding are the canopy tours? I've read somewhere there's a 220 weight limit, can anyone verify? I'm a big guy and after I've been on the cruise a few days, I might be pushing that 220 limit :p

How physically demanding are the canopy tours? I've read somewhere there's a 220 weight limit, can anyone verify? I'm a big guy and after I've been on the cruise a few days, I might be pushing that 220 limit :p

It's not the weight that is the issue.

As long as you have a pantsize of 46 or less, it won't be a problem. You need to fit into their harness.

The ziplines can handle waaaay more than you weigh.

Enjoy it!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Roatan this week and had done the Palmetto Bay tour this time around and the original West Bay tour last time we went.

The Palmetto Bay canopy tour is honestly a lot more physically demanding than the West Bay one. For one its a long walk down steps to start the tour, which for folks with knee problems was an issue. The zips themselves are fine and a lot of fun, but a couple of the bridges and the rock wall proposed significant challenges for some in our group. You don't have any alternative to crossing these bridges or doing the wall so be prepared. You are linked on to wires the entire time so you are ok if you slip as you are attached. They are all big on safety and the guides will help you as needed.

Two of the 6 bridges were the most difficult, one being planks set a distance and the other being one where 4 people had to cross together, the planks swing so you had to push the one backwards so the person behind you could reach it while stretching your leg ahead to get the other one. This was more challenging for the short folks (including myself) in the group as you feel like you are half doing the splits while still having to stretch up to hold onto the wires to help pull you across. The remaining wire bridges and crawl through bridge were fine. Rock wall was another challenge, luckily the guides help boost you up as my shoes just could not get a grip and my arms were already exhausted at that point. If you like adventure, are relatively athletic and such you'd enjoy the Palmetto Bay tour, otherwise if you just want to enjoy zip lines I'd do one of the West Bay ones.

Here is a web link that shows pictures of the Palmetto Bay one so you can get an idea of what I am talking about.

http://www.caribbeanfishery.com/canopy/wp/www.junglecanopy.com/home.htm

There is no bar at the end though so be sure you have water bottles in your transportation to be able to drink at the end as you'll feel somewhat dehydrated. That goes for anything you do though in the heat. Take only minimal bags/cameras with you on these as I saw one person drop their camera last time around (not fun) or lose hats when zipping. Reputable transportation companies will stay with the van, lock your stuff up securely and meet you at the bottom of the zipline end.

There is also the second West Bay tour now as well, I don't know much about that except that it is all ziplines and not the bridge / rock wall stuff. The Original West Bay one ends at that Gumbalimba park, and you can also walk to West Bay itself from there, over the bridge and past Las Rocas and Bite on the Beach, which are awesome places to stop for drink and food.

If you do the Palmetto Bay tour I recommend going to the View restaurant for lunch, which is aptly named, or somewhere in French Harbor like Gios.

We used Diane and Cinthia for our transportation to the zip line and lunch as we'd heard great reviews of them through these boards and they did an incredible job. So good we used them multiple times while on the island.

Hope this helps!! Take LOTS of bug spray whichever you do, Deep Woods off or an equivalent with at least 20% DEET (not that Skintastic stuff as that doesn't keep the bugs off down there). Wear comfortable shoes with a good grip such as sneakers or Tivas, plus of course sunscreen.

We'll be trying the new West Bay zip when we go back next year!

Andrea in Atlanta

Thanks! My friends are doing a canopy tour while in Roatan. Diania and Cynthia will be taking them there. I do know that the tour is under an hour, but does that include prep time as well? How much time do you think they will spend at the tour? The reason I ask is they are going to start out at the beach with us and would like to head over to the canopy around 3:30. We have to be back on the ship by 5:30 since it leaves at 6:00. How much time do you think they will have once they complete the tour? I just wonder if they will have time to stop for a bite to eat, maybe a drink or some shopping.

Also, they are very atletic, but both are short. Do you think tthe Palmetto Tour will be a little complicated or uncomfortable for them? Would you reccomend West Bay instead?

If short, the only part that will be a bit of a challenge is the one rope bridge where you have to work as a team. But if you don't put two short people in a row its a bit easier.

I'd say it was slightly over an hour from start (where they take your money and get you in gear) to finish so I highly doubt you'll have much time to shop / eat after you are done. Better to do that stuff beforehand if you are leaving the canopy until 3:30. Either that or do the canopy earlier in the day.

Take cash as they don't take credit cards, and I am not sure if they took travellers checks or not.

Andrea in Atlanta

• 1 month later...

Archived