PCR test at disembarkation

Sitti

Hi,

I'm hoping if those who recently had Ponant cruise could share your experiences with PCR test during disembarkation.

I will be on Le Commandant Charcot - The Ross Sea from Feb 15/02/2022~12/03/2022. My return flight is on the next day 13/03 at 5pm. My TA informed me that ship can provide PCR test for 100 euro. I think even some of the fastest PCR tests will take at least several hours to 24 hours get results. If they are going to do PCR when we disembark, will all guests get their test results in time? I believe vast majority of guests will need PCR test to return home.

Or are medical staff going to do PCR tests onboard 1 day prior to reaching the destination?

Thanks

Unless there's a legal requirement for testing locally (Argentina or Chile require a negative test to disembark) I don't expect Ponant to schedule tests. You can organize your own by simply going to the ship's infirmary during their opening hours to get whichever test you need and the results will be delivered to your cabin when complete.

All of the trip reports in this forum this year have at least some mention of the testing processes on those specific cruises.

For reference, all passengers needed a test to get home from Mexico on our cruise last month. All of us organized independently either onboard with Ponant, or once we disembarked.

Edited by AussieBoyTX
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, AussieBoyTX said:

You can organize your own by simply going to the ship's infirmary during their opening hours to get whichever test you need and the results will be delivered to your cabin when complete.

For reference, all passengers needed a test to get home from Mexico on our cruise last month. All of us organized independently either onboard with Ponant, or once we disembarked.

Oh I didn't realize it was that simple. I was picturing it was going to be chaos. Thank you AussieBoy. 

Now that is one less thing to worry about. I think I'll have mine done 1 day before we disembark. 

I've been reading some trip reports, and I'm impressed that now apparently most cruises have equipment for PCR test onboard. It's not cheap but I'll take it😊 A lot better than doing it after disembarked and worry about getting results on time. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

For returning U.S. residents from any foreign country, in this case Costa Rica, the U.S. now requires a negative antibody test, not a PCR.  We have been advised for our upcoming Colon-Puerto Caldera (Jan 24-31) that these will be available at no charge to U.S. passengers.