Anyone had to cancel using Princess' Book with Confidence Policy?

SJunie

I am wondering if anyone on here had to cancel under Princess' Book with Confidence Policy after their final payment date?

Was it quite onerous to deal with? Did you have to give them a reason why you wanted to cancel? Thanks.

We cancelled thru our TA a few days after final payment date back at the beginning of September.  Not onerous and no reason is required.  The refund was posted to our credit card one week later.  However the creation of FCC for the penalty, which in our case was just the deposit plus Princess Insurance cost, has yet to be processed.

A week ago I emailed customer relations regarding the absence of the FCC and am awaiting their reply.

• Like 1

@racj846Thank you for sharing your experience. Interesting that they didn't refund your Princess Vacation Protection Plan cost to your original payment, but as a FCC. This is good for me to know.

Over three months is a long time to still not process a FCC. I hope you will get it soon and don't have to chase after them too much.

11 hours ago, racj846 said:

We cancelled thru our TA a few days after final payment date back at the beginning of September.  Not onerous and no reason is required.  The refund was posted to our credit card one week later.  However the creation of FCC for the penalty, which in our case was just the deposit plus Princess Insurance cost, has yet to be processed.

A week ago I emailed customer relations regarding the absence of the FCC and am awaiting their reply.

I thought with Book with Confidence after final payment, all refund is only given as FCC toward the next cruise to be used within a year.  You were refunded cash back to your credit card and not all FCC?   Also, you had to pay penalty in the amount of the deposit?

Thank you.

4 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

I thought with Book with Confidence after final payment, all refund is only given as FCC toward the next cruise to be used within a year.  You were refunded cash back to your credit card and not all FCC?   Also, you had to pay penalty in the amount of the deposit?

Thank you.

The Book With Confidence policy is about not losing money.

If you cancel within an otherwise Penalty Period (normal times policy), but within the Book With Confidence Window, what otherwise would be penalty and forfeited becomes a FCC with an end date to use it by and any balance is refunded as it would have been previously. 

At least this is my recollection without researching it again.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

I am sorry I still don't quite understand how it works.  I think it is easier for me to understand if I give an example.  Thank you in advance for your assistance!!

Paid $8,000 for a 14-night cruise for 2 persons.  $7,000 for the cruise, and $1,000 for EZ air.  Each person used $100 FCD for the deposit at the time of booking and paid $7,800 with a credit card at final payment time.  Now 60 days before the departure date, we decided to cancel the cruise.    

Question:  For the example above, how much in cash and how much in FCC will we get back under the Book with Confidence policy?

1 hour ago, chubbypiggy said:

I am sorry I still don't quite understand how it works.  I think it is easier for me to understand if I give an example.  Thank you in advance for your assistance!!

Paid $8,000 for a 14-night cruise for 2 persons.  $7,000 for the cruise, and $1,000 for EZ air.  Each person used $100 FCD for the deposit at the time of booking and paid $7,800 with a credit card at final payment time.  Now 60 days before the departure date, we decided to cancel the cruise.    

Question:  For the example above, how much in cash and how much in FCC will we get back under the Book with Confidence policy?

Answers are here:  https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cancellation-final-payment-policy/

At the 60-day mark, you would normally only forfeit the Deposit.  That means your FCD comes back as $100 FCC/pp and an expiry date (Make and Sail by Dec 31, 2022).

$6,800 refund of the cruise fare to original form of payment.

Assuming you booked Flexible EZ-Air and not Restricted, then any cancellation fee imposed by the airline will return to you as FCC/pp and the same expiry date.  The balance of airfare returned to original form of payment. 

Now, I do not work for Princess, but believe I understand the policy correctly as outlined.  You might wish to verify by asking PCL yourself.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

Steelers36, thank you so much for your explanations!!  🙂

I read a lot of your replies in different topic posts and all were very informative and helpful.  Your recent explanations on the "FCC, FCD, OBC Tutorial" post were very clear and information.  I did a cut and paste of your explanations and saved it for future reference.  I understand Princess does have FAQs on some of the topics, but at times, I found the explanations not too clear (at least to me).   😊

• Thanks 1

Here's some more info after talking to PCL. In our situation, we had used some FCCs to offset part of the cost of the cruise. Under their Book With Confidence Policy, the cancellation fee would come out of the cash portion that I had paid. So if we had cancelled after final payment, the FCC amount that we had used would be returned to us as FCCs. The cancellation fee would come out of the rest of the amount that we had paid and credited as more FCCs. Then whatever is left is refunded to the original payment method.