Travel Insurance (for positive test)

izmeeh

Hello All,

I keep seeing people say that travel insurance should cover if you happen to get a positive test and can't go back to the US.  I checked with InsureMyTrip and that was not the case.  They say their insurance companies only cover if you are ill with a doctoc's note, not just a positive test.  

I want to know which insurance company/policy cover 1) hotel for quarantine time if required and 2) new return flight to the US since a positive test means you can't travel.

Thank you.

A positive test alone will not suffice for any policy. You need to consult a doctor to confirm the diagnosis and issue orders not to travel. He can do that whether you are ill or not. Symptoms are not required; confirmed diagnosis by a medical professional is.

if you test positive during the cruise before you return to the US, you will be referred to and placed under the jurisdiction of local health authorities. They can provide the necessary documentation or assist you in getting it.

At that point, Trip Delay benefits are in force and will pay for expenses incurred that delay your return (quarantine), so look for a policy with the most generous benefits for that policy provision. Trip Interruption, which covers up to 200% of trip cost depending on the policy, will reimburse you for unused days of the trip and transportation to get home.

• Thanks 1

We have a membership with MedJet, which covers part of this.  Its not insurance. Instead, if you are hospitalized more than I think 100 miles from home, and a doctor agrees if you should move, it should be to another hospital, you will be transported to a hospital in the US, (not sure about other home countries). They will either provide a business ticket for you with nurse and an economy class for a companion, or a transfer by private jet if indicated medically. This includes Covid.

If you're sick in a hotel room somewhere, that's on your own dime. 

We started with them when traveling to countries with poor health care options. We feel we are covered for the worst and most expensive cases we would encounter, and would self-cover in a hotel if required. One payment covers all of your trips in a given year.  This might be an option for you. 

Their website describes this much better than I have done.

Edited by Pudgesmom
  • Thanks 1

MedJet is for hospital to hospital transfer. Its advantage is that it gives you more control in decision making rather than depending on concurrence among doctors involved and the insurance company who would otherwise make the decision.

Any comprehensive travel policy will also pay for hospital to hospital transfer as well as other medical costs. The difference is that a comprehensive policy will pay for travel risks such as delay and interruption, which is the area of concern expressed by the OP.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Babr said:

A positive test alone will not suffice for any policy. You need to consult a doctor to confirm the diagnosis and issue orders not to travel. He can do that whether you are ill or not. Symptoms are not required; confirmed diagnosis by a medical professional is.

if you test positive during the cruise before you return to the US, you will be referred to and placed under the jurisdiction of local health authorities. They can provide the necessary documentation or assist you in getting it.

At that point, Trip Delay benefits are in force and will pay for expenses incurred that delay your return (quarantine), so look for a policy with the most generous benefits for that policy provision. Trip Interruption, which covers up to 200% of trip cost depending on the policy, will reimburse you for unused days of the trip and transportation to get home.

Thank you so much. This makes me feel a lot better. I’ll be sure to look for Trip Delay and Trip Interruption benefits. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Babr said:

MedJet is for hospital to hospital transfer. Its advantage is that it gives you more control in decision making rather than depending on concurrence among doctors involved and the insurance company who would otherwise make the decision.

Any comprehensive travel policy will also pay for hospital to hospital transfer as well as other medical costs. The difference is that a comprehensive policy will pay for travel risks such as delay and interruption, which is the area of concern expressed by the OP.

Actually, that was one of the areas expressed by the OP. As stated in my response, I only covered ONE of his two requests. I also stated it is for hospital to hospital transfer. It will transfer a patient from anywhere at no additional cost, which is not the case for many travel policies. There are no forms to fill out or claims to file. Thanks for reading my response.

It may be a better choice if traveler is taking multiple vacations in a year, if trips include countries which are less than stable, and if trips are on the more expensive side, in which case an annual membership is less than a comprehensive plan.

• Thanks 1

Indeed, MedJet provides valuable protection for frequent travelers, but it is for a very specific purpose.

Any comprehensive plan will provide the same benefit, but the decision is based on medical need and requires the concurrence of the attending physician, the receiving physician, and the insurance company. There is no extra cost to the patient,  and many plans have dollar limits from $100,000 up to $1,000,000. Yes, the annual MedJet is less expensive than a comprehensive because it provides no coverage for medical, cancellation, trip delay, trip interruption or other travel risks.

The OP asked about a policy that would cover him if he were to test positive and be required to quarantine before flying home. MedJet covers none of that because he is not hospitalized, merely waiting it out in a quarantine hotel. He asked about getting home, not being medically evacuated.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for ignoring my ADDITIONAL INFORMATION for the second time. Perhaps the OP never considered an option like this or the need for an option like this, or the hassle which can be associated with filing insurance claims and the savings over multiple trips. Or perhaps he is covered in another way, as in a credit card policy, which I did not discuss.

This is a plan which works for us as we travel often to countries with poor health care and unstable governments. I'm out, Izmeeh, I hope you have a wonderful and healthy cruise.

Edited by Pudgesmom
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately, buying travel insurance that covers Covid is very complicated. Most travel policies specifically exclude epidemics from coverage. You need to get a policy that specifically covers Covid, with language in the policy description such as " Epidemic Coverage Endorsement". See this explanation on the Allianz web site (a very reputable travel insurance company):  https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/coverage-alerts/2019-novel-coronavirus.htm

Adding to the confusion, many of the policies that are offered by Allianz, and others, do not include the Epidemic Coverage Endorsement. I'd suggest calling to ask. 

Also, if you shop for insurance on Squaremouth.com, you can select a "Coronavirus Pandemic" filter that only shows policies with this endorsement.

Finally, be sure to look at the reviews for each insurance company, and select the "Filed Claim" filter. Some of the top rated companies actually have terrible reviews for paying out claims. Insurance is no good if the company stonewalls claims.

• Like 1