Scarlet Lady - 12/15 - 12/19/2021 Post cruise review

CruzinMermaid

I had good intentions. Was going to take pictures and diary every day of my Fire & Sunset Virgin Voyages cruise. Simply put, had too much fun. If it hadn't been for a couple of fabulous women I met, I might not have any pictures at all! With their permission I've grabbed all their photos to supplement my meager - oh,  yeah, I gotta capture this - moments. Oops.

Embarkation was a breeze. I got there early hoping to board early - no one (except Rockstars) boards before 2pm. Got my testing form completed, test completed, test results within 30 minutes of walking in the terminal. In waiting room after that until boarding started at 2pm. Only issue was the embarkation crew didn't have access to monitors to provide guidance or let us know what boarding group was up. They didn't have access to sound system either - this led to a mad rush towards them when folks realized people were starting to board and no one could hear group numbers. 

I relocated to a seat near them to wait my turn - there were some rude folks who littered the walkway and got in the way of those boarding.

Cruising isn’t for everyone.

And within that group, a line that engages in sustainability from stem to stern, wastewater recycling, no plastic, Michelin star dining, European design, gorgeous & modern décor, crew with body art, a shipboard tattoo parlor, crew that is allowed to utilize entire ship off duty and engage with Sailors (Virgin speak), pop up musicians & live artists, and brilliant, thoughtful care to the smallest details - isn’t for everyone.

Me, I’m in love.

Richard Branson is a genius. He has the modern day, hip, brilliance of Walt Disney. A gf and I went to Disneyland this year, I gave us "homework" in that we had to watch all of the Behind the Attractions. During those I learnt of the unbelievable level of detail, focus on the visitor, and belief all things are possible embodied within the Disney family. It is the same for Virgin Voyages - take a moment on board to sit, anywhere, and look at every single item around you. The textures, fabrics, colors, accessories, artwork, hooks/handles/knobs, lighting, outfits worn by crew. Every single item has been thought out, discussed, tweaked, and brought to life.

Virgin Voyages - on the one hand I want them to be wildly successful so they are here, under the Branson genius, long after I’m gone. On the other I want all my Virgin cruises to feel as relaxed and uncrowded as my virgin Virgin.

269639300_10160335881329467_167489039248
I made full use of the partnership between VV and Aviation Gin to explore my gin side! This is a simple G&T, wonderful. Bar staff's shirts have a red V, food service have a white V.

269276481_10160335881399467_398375801409
My mermaid toes post swim, pre-nap, contemplating the next voyage.

269476898_10160335881349467_796971797479
Party preparations!

269650442_10160335881384467_398710340725
turtle snorkeling on quiet island

This is not a traditional cruise - so, some folks aren't going to appreciate all Scarlet Lady has to offer. I'm older, not yet older than dirt, but old enough that folks required to card everyone apologize in advance recognizing the silver hair means something.

With a focus on environmental preservation and sustainability Branson's Virgin Voyages gives me hope. Add to that the Michelin star chefs creating amazing dining experiences and world renowned designers ensuring that very detail on the ship meets high standards, this was heavenly.

Michelin-starred Chef Matt Lambert oversees the Test Kitchen, a fixed chef’s tasting menu with beverage pairings. I booked the Test Kitchen my first night, a relatively early seating because I knew I'd be exhausted after 30 some hours of travel. Luther was my server, host, explainer of all things, and educator. We talked about the design of the restaurant, the Michelin star chef, the wines, each amazing course. Gustavo also provided me with information and wonderful service - between them I felt like a complete queen. I had bubbly water and did the Chef's tasting menu (a fixed menu created by Lambert) paired with wine tastings.

Each course came with a unique wine  option and a discussion of where the winery was and the wine itself. I learned through others that if any of the courses included a food I either did not like or was allergic to, there were alternatives. My menu was Mushroom (including a pate of multiple mushrooms and heavenly), Egg (an egg cooked very slowly for two hours, served in a smoked chamber), scallop, venison or beef (I chose venison - oh, my gawd), a blue cheese palate cleanser (I'm not a huge fan of blue cheese but decided to give it a shot - so amazing!), and chocolate. At the end of the meal I was gushing and asked Luther to let the kitchen chefs, bussers, and dishwashers know how very much I loved each moment. The Maître d' took me into the kitchen to thank them - I was a little tipsy so might not have been sufficiently eloquent. Next time, I book  test kitchen first seating first night, and try to get in every other night long before/after a different dining experience. That amazing.

Michelin-starred Chef Brad Farmerie designed the experience at The Wake, a raw bar and tableside cocktail cart with dramatic views of the ship’s wake. I had brunch here on my own where I was seated next to Maria who had assisted with an app issue the first day. It was wonderful chatting with staff. I also had dinner, and brunch with some new friends. Each and every meal was wonderful, exquisite in preparation and presentation. When I ate with my new friends I went with their - order everything - style so we had a table full of food. The panna cotta is to die for. The lamb was wonderful, everything was wonderful.

Pink Agave (a Mexico City-themed eatery from nationally-acclaimed Chef Silvana Esparza), have the corn appetizer - and everything else as well. I learnt each restaurant can do half portions which means you and your companions can create your own tasking menus.

Razzle Dazzle has a vegetarian-forward fare with “naughty” additions, I didn't have dinner here but did have brunch and breakfast several times. They had planned to begin the Drag Brunch in January but I suspect the return of covid's ferocity may interfere.

Extra Virgin is Scarlet Lady’s resident trattoria, because I'm gluten free I didn't make dinner reservations - I wasn't sure how that might work. But, I was allowed to go in for dessert! I had the chestnut cake and a scoop of gianduija - oh, my.

Gunbae is the first Korean barbecue on a ship that serves a round of soju before each course - and games with your table mates. My friends continued their - order everything so it turned out to be a good thing we were just the three of us. 🤣  Our tableside cook was Li and absolutely lovely. There was so much Soju - be forewarned, it goes down as smoothly as water then slowly rolls up your back and into your head when you realize your sight has been slightly altered. yum.

Test Kitchen menu.jpg

Test kitchen service.jpg

TK scallop.jpg

TK egg service.jpg

TK blue cheese.jpg

GB drinks.jpg

GB1.jpg

• Like 1

I managed to book dinner reservations during most of the shows so I relied on reviews for Dual Reality (amazing, the videos do not do it justice), Ice Cream trivia (with the winner, and my friend!, naming an ice cream), etc.

I did make it to star gazing, mesmerizing and beautiful. Just the right length to make our 9p dinner reservation.

Also afternoon tea, where I sat reading and eating gluten free deliciousness with champagne. And to Never Sleep Alone where I was seated amongst 20 gay men and one straight woman out celebrating a birthday - that was absolutely the optimal seating for this introvert as I was able to enjoy everything vicariously. I heard another seating of that show saw some stodgy types walk out - it's in the title - if you're not down with some raucous and risqué  antics, do not go. If, however, consent is a good thing, and frank discussion is good - have some fun! They ask before seating how adventurous you're feeling - if you're not they won't call on you.

NSA.png

Who sails, or should sail, with Virgin Voyages?

If you prefer fine and Michelin star dining experiences to Applebee's - Virgin is for you.

If you do not care whether someone is gay/straight/trans/non-binary, only whether they are thoughtful, compassionate, kind, non-abusive to their family/friends/others - Virgin is for you.

If you like choice in dining, and by choice I mean outstanding restaurants, diners, sweet shops, ice cream parlors, coffee stops, and bars as opposed to fare that is ranked "better than most cruise ships" - Virgin is for you. 

Finally, if the environment matters to you and you cringe at the sight of cruise ships knowing the issues they create -  Virgin is for you.

• Like 3

And, some of the things I rely on CC cruisers to fill in for me when I travel.

Outlets: both 110 and 220, more 110, never used my multi-plug/bluetooth

Bluetooth: bluetooth by the bed and dressing table. Didn't look in bathroom, should have done that.

Hairdryer: in the room

Hooks: everywhere! On my sea day I noticed more hooks near the bed, I'd just thought they were decoration. I never used my handy 3m hooks or shelf and donated those to my room staff.

Lighting: admittedly the only travel I've done in a while is for work so this might be the norm now. There's a pad which controls lighting and entertainment - with some preset "mood" settings. That was so much fun to play with, one even comes with a bit of music.

Entertainment: in the cabin, plenty of movies, tv series, tv channels to keep you going. I connected to spotify on my phone for tunes.

Toiletries: in the shower lovely shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. Great soap.

2 hours ago, gingersvp said:

I would like to point out that Rockstars do not board before 2pm either (sailed on the 10th as a Rockstar and sat in a waiting room for 2 hours).

We were able to board a hair before 2 (about 1:45). 

We got there around 10:30 because we had to deal with dropping a rental car off and cabbing from MIA and weren't sure how long it would take to do all of that.  Fortunately/unfortunately, it was a breeze and we ended up super early.  Waited outside in the blazing heat until around 11:15, went through security, got our test and checked in.  Had results in 15 mins and froze our butts off in that room for 2 hours haha.  BRING A SWEATER! Or a parka.

When we do Rockstar again, I don't think we'll get there as early because it was frankly pointless.  Maybe 12:30-12:45, and only because I hate cutting things close.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Karma23 said:

@_tacocat_, Did you have a boarding time? My boarding time (for Jan 21 voyage) is Noon. Is arriving by 11am a good time?

We had anytime boarding because we were in a suite, but the day before, it said to get there at 11:45.  If you're in a suite, I'd recommend like 12-12:30 at the earliest because it was so freaking cold in that room, and getting there early didn't give you and advantage (all suites board as one group around 1:45).

If you're not in a suite, yeah, it's probably best to get there close to when it says.  They won't let you check in early, but if you're in the beginning of your check-in line, you might get put in a slightly earlier boarding group.  General boarding starts at 2pm.

I think they changed "boarding time" to "arrival time," so you might want to double check what your reservation actually says for that.  Also, bring a sweater and either a good book or work to keep you occupied.  Time crawls, first as you're waiting for your test result, then as you're waiting to board!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2021 at 9:21 AM, Karma23 said:

Hello Sailors,

@_tacocat_, Did you have a boarding time? My boarding time (for Jan 21 voyage) is Noon. Is arriving by 11am a good time?

Thank you for adding to the VV discussion!!!

If you're parking, I'd get there maybe 11:30 so you can park and take the shuttle to the terminal (parking is not in front of the same terminal) to be in line around noon. Getting there earlier doesn't get you taken through the boarding process any earlier.

On 12/22/2021 at 12:12 PM, _tacocat_ said:

We were able to board a hair before 2 (about 1:45). 

We got there around 10:30 because we had to deal with dropping a rental car off and cabbing from MIA and weren't sure how long it would take to do all of that.  Fortunately/unfortunately, it was a breeze and we ended up super early.  Waited outside in the blazing heat until around 11:15, went through security, got our test and checked in.  Had results in 15 mins and froze our butts off in that room for 2 hours haha.  BRING A SWEATER! Or a parka.

When we do Rockstar again, I don't think we'll get there as early because it was frankly pointless.  Maybe 12:30-12:45, and only because I hate cutting things close.

You got me, it was perhaps 1:45. I will also say I was very disappointed with the snacks in the Rockstar area. I've definitely seen better pre-boarding suite lounges on other lines.

51 minutes ago, gingersvp said:

You got me, it was perhaps 1:45. I will also say I was very disappointed with the snacks in the Rockstar area. I've definitely seen better pre-boarding suite lounges on other lines.

I'm hoping, but not optimistic, that they will have a better rockstar area in the new terminal.