What happens is one tests positive at end of cruise, especially if on a Celebrity ship

dgraham

I posted this on the Celebrity forum, bur though I would also post this question here.

What does a cruiser from Canada (or any other country) do if he or she tests positive at the end of the cruise just before debarking. Do they have to find a local hotel to quarantine, and how do they get there.

And does anyone know if Celebrity offers any help in this case since it is the end of the cruise.

And my response on the Celebrity board:

If you are tested by Celebrity, it's generally during the last full day of the cruise, and you get your results later that day. Consequently, the cruise isn't over and the applicable policy applies:

Safe Passage Home

We’re with you every step of the way no matter where in the world you travel with us. If you test positive for COVID-19 onboard during your cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the cost of your onboard COVID-19 medical treatment, land-based isolation, and private air transfer home for you and your traveling party, if required*.

*Last modified September 20, 2021. Subject to change. Celebrity will cover the costs of accommodations for isolation and private air transfer costs for guests who have fully complied with all Celebrity Cruises and Royal Caribbean Group COVID-19 Policies and Procedures in effect at the time of voyage. Additional terms and conditions may apply, see our COVID- 19 Refund and Cancellations Policy and your Cruise Ticket Contract for details. “Traveling Party” means (1) your family members living with you in the same household and (2) traveling companions assigned to your stateroom on the ship. Guests who test positive for COVID-19 on Celebrity Apex sailings from Athens will isolate locally prior to returning home. Our CareTeam will assist with accommodations for isolation, daily wellbeing check-ins, and support to reschedule return travel home.

On the other hand, if you do a self test and only receive the result when the ship is already in port and passengers are disembarking, or about to do so, the cruise is technically finished I suppose, and Celebrity might not be willing to assume any responsibility. However, as it is clear that you acquired the virus during the cruise, maybe they would apply the policy. Of course, they'd probably want to isolate and retest you before any decision is made.

FWIW, I've not read any post about a Canadian testing positive when given the PCR test for the flight home, so the foregoing is not based on any precedent of which I'm aware.

• Like 1