Favorite Excursions - Belize

Nole4Life28

I will be going on my first cruise in May '06 and am really looking forward to it, of course. I was just wondering if you wonderful people, who have already been to these locations would mind just posting here what excursion you did at this location and if you loved or hated it and why. Can be quick or long, doesn't matter. I just want to get great ideas of what to do at each place. I will post the same thread on the other ports of call that we will be going to with the same title, so if you're really anxious to help :D heehee that would be great!! As you can tell, 3 months out, I am really trying to be prepared. Thank you so much! I LOVE CC message boards, all the people are wonderful! I'm so glad I found this place. So, our ports of call are Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan, and Costa Maya. Thank you again :D

We've been to Belize 3 times.

The first time we took the water taxi to Cay Caulker. Some people love it there. I thought it was just okay.

The second time we went to Altun Ha. I enjoyed going, but felt that Dzbibulchan outside of Progresso was more interesting.

On our last visit, we went cave tubing which we throughly enjoyed.

We've been to Belize twice. The first time there we did a snorkel exursion with the ship. Good snorkeling and then they took us to Ambergris Cay for lunch and some shopping. A great day! Last visit, we took the Lamanai/New River excursion with a Belize company and had a good time. It's a full day. After meeting up with the driver at the terminal, we rode to the river, seeing the sights of Belize along the way. We then boarded our boat for the trip to the Mayan ruins at Lamanai. The captain of the boat stopped along the way to point out wildlife. Before entering the ruins, we had a nice "typical" Mayan lunch of chicken, rice and beans. Beverages were also provided. There are restroom facilities there as well. Our guide thru the ruins was a Mayan, which made it extra-special. The ruins are fairly extensive, some fully excavated, some only partially. There is a temple (pyramid) which can be climbed. As we entered the jungle path to the ruins, we were greeted by the howler monkeys. Wow, what a racket those monkeys can make. It sounded like something out of Jurassic Park! :)

Becki

We stayed on the island of Ambergris Caye 2 years ago and snorkeled every day. There are some snorkeling excursions to Shark Ray Alley where you snorkel with sting rays and nurse sharks. It is not as shallow as the Sting Ray Alley in Grand Cayman, about 5-6 feet in depth, but it is a blast. Usually your guide will then take you to the reef where it is 4-5 feet deep and the snorkeling is great, with eels, a few nurse sharks and beautiful fish. This would take alot of time because the island is over an hour away by boat, but it is worth it. This time we plan on the cave tubing in Belize since we haven't traveled inland before. Whatever you choose it will be something you haven't done before so enjoy it!

1st trip to Beilize: We took the Lamanai and New River excursion through the ship (NCL Sun). It was quite good. I would recommend it highly.

2nd trip: we took a snorkeling excursion through the ship (NCL Sun again). It was very disappointing. The boat was over-crowded and I had some safety issues. I would NOT recommend a snorkeling excursion through the ship

The first time we went to Belize we went cave tubing. It was in March I believe and the water was low, but we still had a good time.

This last year we went on the ship tour to Lamanai . I would really recommend this tour. While it took the whole day I thought it was worth the time and money. The boat trip to the ruins was very interesting and the ruins themselves were great to see. Lunch was yummy. And like another poster said the Howler monkeys are loud and just add to the total experiance. Very Indian Jones!

I actually did the ships excursion to Goffs' Caye and we had a great time! I don't usually do ship excursions like this anymore but I was glad that we did! We did the early morning tour and the boat picked us right up at the ship so we did not have to tender. The excursion boat was a little crowded for my taste but the guides were wonderful and the snorkeling was fantastic. We also spent a while relaxing on this tiny Caye which we really enjoyed.

The nice thing about the early excursion was that we were back on the ship for lunch and still had time to tender over to shore to walk around and shouvenir shop and then enjoy a cuban cigar, a drink and the view before going back to the ship.

Thanks for the replies!! I think it will be helpful to many people besides myself! Any one else have any? Please share :) Thanks again!

Absolutely!!! I believe we are on the same cruise.:D

All of this info is great. I think the wife and I are gonna spend a quiet day on a beach somewhere in Belize, since that day is our 10th anniversary,(hopefully by reading this board we can decide where..LOL) and then Do the ruins tour in Costa Maya instead. (there is a great thread on the Cosat Maya board about a private tour).

Pleas keep the info coming everyone!

Kelz~ Yes!! we are on the same cruise! I can't wait, it's driving me crazy! HAHA

All this information is awesome!! I love the CC people!! But I just want more and more info, haha, it's like a drug LOL :D

Yes it is...LOL...I just made my final payment today!!!

Booked my airfare last week, so all that is left is picking excursions!!!:D

We did SNUBA at Rendevous Caye which was AWESOME! Booked through Carnival who uses Belize Catamarans. The snuba part was great and when the rum started flowing after that it turned into quite the party (at least for the four in our group). Had a blast at the little patch of sand they affectionately called Rendevous Caye - - just floating around drinking punch. They had floats and kayaks to play with. It was definitely a good time.

We did Shark/Stingray Alley and Caye Caulker through Coral Breeze in January. We had a great day, slow start, but after that it just kept getting better. The rays and nurse sharks were awesome! Kind of a long boat ride out to Caye Caulker and the snorkeling sites, but well worth it. Amazing reef. Have fun in Belize!

I guess all I have to do is follow Heather and kelz66 around and read the responses! *LOL*

We might be snorkeling in Belize (Sunkissed Beach and Snorkel on Goff's Caye through Island Marketing). Haven't made the reservation yet, still not sure which cay is the best for an afternoon of snorkeling. Don't need the stingrays agqain...we'll be doing that in Grand Cayman with Soto's.

I will be going on my first cruise in May '06 and am really looking forward to it, of course. I was just wondering if you wonderful people, who have already been to these locations would mind just posting here what excursion you did at this location and if you loved or hated it and why. Can be quick or long, doesn't matter. I just want to get great ideas of what to do at each place. I will post the same thread on the other ports of call that we will be going to with the same title, so if you're really anxious to help :D heehee that would be great!! As you can tell, 3 months out, I am really trying to be prepared. Thank you so much! I LOVE CC message boards, all the people are wonderful! I'm so glad I found this place. So, our ports of call are Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan, and Costa Maya. Thank you again :D

When I get back next month I can let you know about Snorkeling in Cayman, Cave Tubing in Belize and Dolphin Swim in Costa Maya..........

If anyone would like to see our photos of Belize & our Coral Breeze snorkeling, manatee, & bannister Island tour , Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel & the Legend of the Seas please click on the link below:

Bannister Island is paradise! Awesome Day!

http://cruisegirl29.shutterfly.com/action/

You have to enter the password: bella3

Happy Sailing!

Sue

If you're adventurous, I'd highly recommend the zip line/cave tube combo tour with Nacho and cynthia. They pick you up at the pier in a private van that holds 8 people. Nacho provides a city tour with lots of interesting info. about belize and their people as you drive about 1 hour to jaguar paw resort in the rain forest. First you do the zipline - we had 2 private guides for 6 people. I think we did 7 lines then rapelled down at the end. It was scary in an exhilarating way. I never felt unsafe at all, even being 85 feet up in the canopy. My 8 year old daughter even did it. After that, 2 guides take you on the cave tube portion which takes about 45 minutes. When you're done, you go change inside the resort and have a wonderful lunch of chicken, rice and beans in the dining room of the resort, which is air conditioned. Nacho then shows you the butterfly farm at the resort before you get back in the van. Nacho then gives you the option of stopping at the zoo and/or taking you shopping in belize if time permits. We had plenty of time to do this but opted not to. Our time in port was 6:30am to 6:00 pm (we were on the grand princess). We met nacho and cynthia on the pier at about 7:30 and we were back at the pier by about 2:00. Excellent private tour - I would do it again in a heartbeat, especially the zipline! If you have 5 or more in your group, he charges $115 per person.