Cape Liberty Cruise port N.J...questions...please help

rianvi

We are sailing on the Celebrity Zenith in August/06. We are driving from Windsor Canada...five of us...my DH, D.D{18}, my folks and myself. We want to spend a couple days before and after the cruise seeing the sights of New YorK. I have been on alot of sites for info...searching for a place to stay and a tour that would pick us up at the hotel. And then there is the parking issue while we are on the 7 day cruise. The problem is that I am not familiar at all with New York nor New Jersery and all the other areas. And not sure where to stay or even where the pier is. My Mom uses a walker, so how accessible is New York? As you can see I need lots of advice and help. Thankyou in advance.

Peace...............Anna:)

Hi there: If you go to the Hotel pre-post forum and put in the Search window Newark Hotels, all sorts of info comes up. I also did that on the Celebrity board too. Hope this helps. I am going on a cruise on Celebrity Constellation in Oct. and found all sorts of hotels with parking facilities. Also I found that if you do a general search no through this board and just put in Newark Hotesl, stuff comes up there too.

Marilyn

We are sailing on the Celebrity Zenith in August/06. We are driving from Windsor Canada...five of us...my DH, D.D{18}, my folks and myself. We want to spend a couple days before and after the cruise seeing the sights of New YorK. I have been on alot of sites for info...searching for a place to stay and a tour that would pick us up at the hotel. And then there is the parking issue while we are on the 7 day cruise. The problem is that I am not familiar at all with New York nor New Jersery and all the other areas. And not sure where to stay or even where the pier is. My Mom uses a walker, so how accessible is New York? As you can see I need lots of advice and help. Thankyou in advance.

Peace...............Anna:)

Okay, in order to save your sanity, split this into two trips; the first one being sightseeing in NYC and the second the cruise.

You first need to determine your hotel budget for NYC (do not think of staying in New Jersey because the daily/twice daily commute in and out of the city is a hassle for someone not familiar, trust me on this). Any money you save on hotels will be negated by the hassle and cost of commuting.

Unfortunately, Manhattan isn't too walker/wheelchair friendly. Forget the subways and plan on using cabs and buses as your main transportation.

Park your car at on of the NJTransit stations and ride the train in. The easiest would be to park at Newark Airport and take the Airtrain into Manhattan.

Parking is ridiculously expensive in Manhattan.

As for sightseeing since your mother has mobility issues, I highly recommend the Grayline DoubleDecker Tour Bus. You can see the city and go back and revisit the sites you find interesting.

$49 per person for the all loop 48 hour pass and well worth the price

http://www.grayline.com/franchise.cfm/action/details/id/22

When it comes time for the cruise, take NJTransit back to Newark and drive your car to the pier and park there.

NYC is an expensive place and there really aren't any cheap shortcuts. You would be better off chopping a day or so off your trip than trying to cut corners.

There are however, some great free things:

The Staten Island Ferry for the best views of The Statue of Liberty. Go at dusk so you can see the Statue of Liberty lit up. On the ride back, you'll have the hands down best view of the Statue, The Brooklyn Bridge, and Lower Manhattan and the Financial District lighting up.

Central Park. Wonderful historical place.

MoMA (Museum of Modern Art) on Friday Nights. Go 30 minutes early and stand in line.

For all kinds of freebies: www.DowntownNY.com Free guides, maps, and transportation.

The Forbes Collection.

Churches: St. Patricks Cathedral on Fifth Avenue. Magnificent! Also, St.Pauls Chapel which housed all the rescue workers after September 11th. Trinity Chapel where George Washington worshiped after he was inaugerated as the first President of the United States.

Just a start but hope this helps.

Thankyou for the great advice. My Mom has decided that while she may poke "her head out of the hotel" she is content to relax at the hotel while we explore NYC. She has been before.

The things we want to do most is see the Statue of Liberty....Central Park... and take in a Broadway show. We understand the expense....but we are celebrating a couple of things....our DD's graduation...my folks 45th ann. and our 20th...so we are planning to splurge. Could you list a couple of good hotels in N.Y.C. that we could check out? Perhaps within walking distance to the park or the shows...if that is possible.

Peace............Anna:)

Just look up any hotel in Times Square... The Doubletree Suites are in the dead center of times square...

http://doubletree.hilton.com/en/dt/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=X0TFPYESBAGXWCSGBI12VCQKIYFCVUUC?ctyhocn=LGASFDT

If you're planning on staying in Manhattan, you're going to pay for it, definately....

You might save some money if you try Downtown NY... There's a Holiday Inn on John St... and a Best Western around the South Street seaport...

The only issue is Downtown is a little less accessible for the "tourist"... if you are comfortable hopping in the subway, then you'll do just fine... but I'd look at the hotels in Times Square ...

The Gray line tours are nice... I see em all the time... but, I find the best way to see the city is on two feet... It really isn't all that big of an island... it's just intimidating at first... but, once you realize that its just a small little island with a lot of BIG buildings... you'll do fine... :)

When you get ready to leave from Bayonne (aka Port Liberty)... it's a quick cab through the Holland Tunnel... should be around $30... and try to get one of the Vans (they have both sedans and vans as Yellow Cabs).

Thankyou for the great advice. My Mom has decided that while she may poke "her head out of the hotel" she is content to relax at the hotel while we explore NYC. She has been before.

The things we want to do most is see the Statue of Liberty....Central Park... and take in a Broadway show. We understand the expense....but we are celebrating a couple of things....our DD's graduation...my folks 45th ann. and our 20th...so we are planning to splurge. Could you list a couple of good hotels in N.Y.C. that we could check out? Perhaps within walking distance to the park or the shows...if that is possible.

Peace............Anna:)

The New York Salsibury (http://www.nycsalisbury.com/ ) is a great hotel in a fabulous location across the street from Carnegie Hall. I suggest either the one or two bedroom apartment and they all have kitchenettes.

It is within two blocks of Central Park, short short walk to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, Fifth Avenue Shopping, St. Patricks Cathedral, etc.

Le Parker Meridian (http://www.parkermeridien.com/) is across the street from The Salisbury and a little more upscale. Also book a one bedroom.

The Affina Group (http://www.affinia.com/ ) is a hotel group with nine hotels in Manhattan. They range from moderate to very expensive and have one and two bedroom accommodations including kitchens in all their properties.

The Shelbourne Murray Hill, Eastgate, Affina 50 are all near the Empire State Building, Macy's, Herald Square, and Madison Square Garden.

Plan on around $350+ for a one bedroom but worth the price. You'll get two queens and a sofa bed and probably all will bring you a roll away.

Just look up any hotel in Times Square... The Doubletree Suites are in the dead center of times square...

http://doubletree.hilton.com/en/dt/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=X0TFPYESBAGXWCSGBI12VCQKIYFCVUUC?ctyhocn=LGASFDT

If you're planning on staying in Manhattan, you're going to pay for it, definately....

You might save some money if you try Downtown NY... There's a Holiday Inn on John St... and a Best Western around the South Street seaport...

The only issue is Downtown is a little less accessible for the "tourist"... if you are comfortable hopping in the subway, then you'll do just fine... but I'd look at the hotels in Times Square ...

The Gray line tours are nice... I see em all the time... but, I find the best way to see the city is on two feet... It really isn't all that big of an island... it's just intimidating at first... but, once you realize that its just a small little island with a lot of BIG buildings... you'll do fine... :)

When you get ready to leave from Bayonne (aka Port Liberty)... it's a quick cab through the Holland Tunnel... should be around $30... and try to get one of the Vans (they have both sedans and vans as Yellow Cabs).

That Best Western downtown for some reason is very expensive. I've checked rates several times and it is usually $100 over the price of the other two in town.

The Double Decker Tour bus is great for first timers because it gives them their bearings and they can quickly see everything. Not something easy to do in Manhattan if you don't know where you are.

I love downtown, it is my favorite part of the city.

You might want to check out the Doubletree in Jersey City, NJ - just across the river. They are located right near the PATH station (train to NYC $1.50) buses and ferry. You could drive to Liberty State Park (about 2 miles) and take the ferry to the Statue and Ellis Island. There's also a mall right across the street from the hotel a restaurant in the hotel, and many others in the area. And of course, the view of NY at night is amazing.

Archived