Carnival vs. Royal Caribbean...

traderneal

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently booked on the Explorer out of Bayonne in August. However, for a lot less money, I can get a better cabin on Carnival wit ha slightly better itenary. Travelling will be my wife, myself, and my two daughters age 4, and 8. Now my question is, what line is better in terms of things to do for the kids.

Previously, we have travelled on Disney and Princess and my kids loved both cruises. They love the camps. I read only good things about RCL, and have read a few more negative things about CCL then I was expecting. (In terms of the kids camps.)

I have heard that the food is better on CCL, the service is the same on both, the entertainment slightly betteron RCL, and the demographics skew higher on RCL. Is this all true?

We are looking for a Carribbean cruise in late August, if anyone can reccomend a specific ship, I would appreciate it.

thx

Neal

Neil

Hi. Everyone has their own opinion but after being on both Rccl & CCL my favorite is Rccl. There are many things for everyone on the ship especially if it is the Voyager class like the Explorer. There is an ice skating rink, a rock climbing wall, a shopping promenade or mall, 9 hole mini golf course and much more. There is Adventure Ocean, a club for kids of all ages. There are great lounges and entertainment.

I found a much younger crowd on Carnival even though it is changing alittle. It is true that the rooms are alittle bigger but considering everything else, I prefer Royal caribbean . Have been on the Explorer and Voyager 3 times and had a great time.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Ann25

You will probably get a lot more votes for RCL on this board and I have never traveled RCL to compare but I was on the Carnival Legend last year and it was a fantastic cruise. We cruised from NYC. It was an 8 day with 2 sea days, San Juan, St. Thomas, Tortola, and then 2 more sea days. We enjoyed all aspects of the ship. Food and entertainment were great as was the staff. This year we are traveling NCL Spirit out of NYC just for something a little different. Good luck choosing a cruise. Read a lot on these boards and that should help you.

While we have never been of Carnival, we just returned from the Explorer with our 8 year old who had a FANTASTIC time. THe kids program on RCCL was GREAT. She loved all the games, activities and workers.

I can highly recommend Adventure Ocean!

BTW we had a great time too!

It´s personal choice...

Carnival group being the biggest of the major three has different brands out there and they are trying hard to put Princess on par with RCCL. I think you will find that Carnival is just a little bit less of everything since you´ve travelled with Princess and Disney, but that´s just my prediction. When we went on Cunard we had a great time, but my one and only time on Carnival will stay my one and only time.

Quite funny was when me met people on deck coming onboard looking over to Disney Magic and say "We wish we could be on that ship instead".

The next seven nights, we thought the same thing.

But it´s personal choice. Try a little bit of everything. You might find Carnival just as upbeat and FUN as they market themselves. Well I didn´t.

Take care and, Get out there :)

// Fredrik

Archived