Help with Costa Maya

Glory03

icon_smile.gif

I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a independent tour in Costa Maya. I am looking for something like Godfrey's tour in St. Thomas. I am not sure what I wanted to do there, but thought this could be a great option if I could find something.

Thanks

Days til Miracle Cruise 12/12/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FF0000&cdt=2004;12;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

boat.gif

Conquest December 7, 2002

Glory December 13, 2003

Miracle December 12, 2004

icon_cool.gif

I visited Costa Maya last year. It appears that since the port is so small and so isolated with no major city close by that the only tour operators are contracted to the cruise lines.

paramedic_vehicle_flashing_md_wht.gif

Not much to do there. Maybe you should do what we did. Just go to the pool, do a little shopping, a little drinking, and head back to the ship. You could go to the little town nearby via taxi. The dancers put on a great little show at the square in Costa Maya.

There is a booth at the Costa Maya Pier Complex that offers tours and watersports activities. It is not affiliated with the cruise lines and the operators are mainly locals.

Boatwht.gif

This is on the Port of Call board posted by nitrogenaddict. link

Being from Mahahual he seems to give a complete rundown on the port options.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Jessie, here is what is available._

The walk to Mahahual is approximately 20 minutes. You can get a ride to the town from the pier. The town is actually 3 miles long. The main "commercial centre" is where you get dropped off. I f you walk a short distance away from the town you will find other bars and restaurants. The town of Mahahual is very safe for all visitors, (contrary to the information given out on some of the cruise ships).

The Dive Centres in Mahahual are BLUE HA DIVING and BUCANERO DEL CARIBE and MAYA PALMS RESORT. All Dive operators offer resort courses. Blue Ha and Maya Palms are PADI centres and can be booked through Mayahual Tours at the cruiseship pier. Bucanero del Caribe (CMAS) can also be booked at the pier. The centres try to accommodate people’s wishes but the most important thing is to get the people back to the ship. Blue Ha has all Scubapro equipment, Maya Palms has a variety of top quality equipment and Bucanero has a variety of equipment.

Mahahual Village now has: - Snorkel tours, wave runners, fishing, parasailing, and horseback riding, Scuba Diving. 2 operators with booths at the pier are Mayahual Tours (3 booths) and Let's Go Snorkelling. These tour operators organise a trip to town for 5USD per person. The return trip is 2 USD per person with the local taxis. There are a lot of beach bars and restaurants in the area. Shopping for souvenirs is also possible at more moderate prices than offered at the Pier.

Parasailing is now being offered by MAYAHUAL TOURS who have 3 booths at the cruise ship pier.

The snorkel tour operators all have locker facilities for storing personal items of guests. There are three in the town, Mayahual Tours; (20:00USD per person. 1&1/2 hour trip) they have 3 booths at the cruise ship pier selling their trips. They will arrange transport for you or you can go directly into town and they have a stand on the beach just as you come into town. The other is Let's Go Snorkelling- their prices are the same and can arrange transport into town. By the way it costs 5 USD per person for the trip to town. Once in town you return by yellow cab and this will cost 2 USD per person. (Do not ask about this idiosyncrasy in prices). The third place for snorkelling is in the centre of the town (or we should really say Village). They are next door to the Taxis. Their prices are the same. Lifejackets are on board. There are golf carts for rent at the port of Costa Maya , (15 USD per hour, 45 USD per half day and 75 USD per full day). There is also Deep-sea fishing is on offer from Mayahual Tours.

As for eating and drinking there are few places worth mentioning: -

OXTANKHA serves the best Ceviche in town -- Ceviche is raw conch, prawns and sometimes Octopus marinated in Lime Juice. It is served with tomato and onion and taco chips.

TAPAS Bar, Italian Argentinean owners. Serve good food and drinks, they have a place on the beach with tables and chairs.

Another good recommendation is PEZ QUADRO. This is about 800 yards south of the town centre. Italian run. A beautiful beach bar with swing seats serving cocktails, beer, Italian and Mexican cuisine. There are others like, CAPTAIN MONO and El Delfin. Further down about 1 mile and a half from the town centre is the Casa Del Mar Beach Café. This offers pancakes, freshly baked German Bread and all day breakfast with freshly pressed orange juice.

In Mahahual there are a few restaurants offering excellent cuisine in the day and evenings. There is the Restaurant LUNA PLATA offering Italian pasta, pizza and meat dishes, run by Italians, Dario, Edzekiel, and Luca. The next restaurant next door is TIROVINO run by Chiara and Michael. They offer Thailand dishes and pasta. In the town centre is OXTANKHA offering Mexican dishes. There is also the TEQUILA BEACH, which offers various meals. Later in the evening is Music. On Cruise ship days these places are always open.

There are tours offered by the local taxis to Chachobben, Kohunlich, Bacalar, Chetumal.

There are now 4-wheeled ATVs for rent. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Elation 11/2003

Conquest 01/2003

Jubilee 11/2002

Victory 02/2001

Destiny 02/2000

Geotide 11/1992

United States 06/1962

Here is a website you can browse for Costa Maya. It states that "tours and prices depend on each cruise line." I found it helpful in deciding on the tours that were offerred aboard NCL.

Good luck!!

http://www.puertocostamaya.com/

Hope to be cruzin soon.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2005;6;26;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until The Wife's Golden Birthday Cruise

Big Red Boat 10/1989

NCL Dawn 5/2003

NCL Sun 1/2004

Sun_in_glasses.gif

Thanks to all of you guys for all the great information. I was wondering if anyone has gone to the schools that I have read about . I was wondering if you knew where to walk to get there. I also was wondering if there are any English speakers there as well ?

Thanks again

Days til Miracle Cruise 12/12/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FF0000&cdt=2004;12;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

boat.gif

Conquest December 7, 2002

Glory December 13, 2003

Miracle December 12, 2004

Archived