Safes on Splendour-keypad or magnetic strip?

Just wondering what kind of safes are on the Splendour. I am starting to do my packing for Feb 27 and I have been reading about bringing an extra card with a magnetic strip for the safe. I think that's a great idea and am packing one. But then I am reading on the boards that some ships have a 4 digit keypad. If you have been on the Splendour recently, please let me know which kind she has. I am going to assume that all the cabins will have the same kind. Thanks.

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question. I don't understand the whole "bring an extra card" theory. Why wouldn't you just use a credit card from your wallet?

I am sharing a cabin with my sister. If I use my credit card to close the safe, then I have to use the same credit card to open the safe. And if my sister is not with me when she needs to get into the safe, she won't be able to do that without my card. The reason to bring a non-credit card, but just one with a magnetic strip is I can leave in a drawer or some place we both know about and not worry if it happens to be found by a cabin steward. (he/she would still be able to get into our safe, but they won't be able to rack up expenses on the card)

Others on this thread might be able to give a better answer to this question, but that has been my understanding from reading so far.

I am sharing a cabin with my sister. If I use my credit card to close the safe' date=' then I have to use the same credit card to open the safe. And if my sister is not with me when she needs to get into the safe, she won't be able to do that without my card. The reason to bring a non-credit card, but just one with a magnetic strip is I can leave in a drawer or some place we both know about and not worry if it happens to be found by a cabin steward. (he/she would still be able to get into our safe, but they won't be able to rack up expenses on the card)

Others on this thread might be able to give a better answer to this question, but that has been my understanding from reading so far.[/quote']

Just an FYI - There are other valid reasons not to want to use a credit card (the one most often cited is that the very desire to use the safe is to lock up your credit cards), but the same card thing is not actually true. There are instructions on the safe that allow you to program multiple cards to open the safe for just the reason you mention - so multiple roomies can access the safe. We did this on the Splendour in December with no problems!

Just an FYI - There are other valid reasons not to want to use a credit card (the one most often cited is that the very desire to use the safe is to lock up your credit cards), but the same card thing is not actually true. There are instructions on the safe that allow you to program multiple cards to open the safe for just the reason you mention - so multiple roomies can access the safe. We did this on the Splendour in December with no problems!

I didn't know you could program the safe for multiple cards. Great info. Thanks.

Sorry, I know this has been asked before but I don't remember: Do all rooms have safes? I'm going on my first cruise. I'm the only one in the family to get just an inside cabin, but hey for my first cruise I want to know if I'm going to like it. So will I have a safe in my room?

I am sharing a cabin with my sister. If I use my credit card to close the safe' date=' then I have to use the same credit card to open the safe. And if my sister is not with me when she needs to get into the safe, she won't be able to do that without my card. The reason to bring a non-credit card, but just one with a magnetic strip is I can leave in a drawer or some place we both know about and not worry if it happens to be found by a cabin steward. (he/she would still be able to get into our safe, but they won't be able to rack up expenses on the card)

Others on this thread might be able to give a better answer to this question, but that has been my understanding from reading so far.[/quote']

Your sea pass card works on the safe. You do not have to carry an extra credit card around with you. Also, you can set it up so two different people can open the safe (both using your sea pass cards). It's easy - just follow the instructions. I was just on Splendour over the holidays and had no problems with two people working the safe.

I was just on the Splendour earlier this month. It says to use a credit card.... I used my Sea pass card with out any problems. I didn't share the cabin so I didn't have to worry about two of us.

The safe has been known to "mess" up your Sea Pass. Something about the magnetic strip. We've seen it happen to two friends of ours, specifically on the Splendour so we just don't take the risk and now use our movie rental card. We just got off the Splendour today and we were able to program the safe to open with two different cards.

Julie

Archived