Best wine options

Miss_Confused

Hi all,

I don't drink beer at all and for spirits I have to be in the mood, but I will always want wine with meals. Looking at doing a Eastern Med cruise with MSC Lirica and considering what package to choose. From what I have seen from some older posts the wine list by the glass is pretty short so wondering what is the best option? I appreciate nice wines but am fully aware those are not really an option included in the packages, then the question becomes is the Easy package downright nasty or perfectly decent? Does the plus package make a difference? Seems like the only recommendation for the Premium package is it gets you Chablis?

Also key question, what is the best way to have wine in the cabin?

For context I will be doing several excursions so out and about daytime. I am most definitively getting a package as I drink a lot of water, c.3 diet cokes a day, some juice with breakfast and on holiday will have a predinner drink if I have time, a glass paired with starter, a couple with main, and then more depending on plans for the evening. Planning for this to be my first solo trip so likely wont be getting bottles

Any advice?

You can order a bottle, and the wait staff will keep it for you and serve you glasses at later dinners. I like to have a glass of bubbly to start my dinners, but the by-the-glass selection didn’t interest me. I was cruising solo, too. I ordered a bottle of Cava, had a glass the first night and finished it during subsequent dinners in MDR. I ate in specialty restaurants, some nights, where drink packages don’t work. I don’t buy drink packages because of limitations. 

On 2/5/2022 at 11:20 PM, Miss_Confused said:

Looking at doing a Eastern Med cruise with MSC Lirica and considering what package to choose. From what I have seen from some older posts the wine list by the glass is pretty short so wondering what is the best option?

Unfortunately the Easy Package is more or less useless, you probably will not like the cheap house wines. In the MDR every day there are wine recommendations by the glass ranging from 6,50 to about 10 €. These change daily, there is a Chablis and other nice options. I guess you also can get the Chablis if it is not on the daily menu. So the Easy Plus helps but also makes many choices unavailable as the limit is tight with 8 €. On the other hand the price for Premium package is too expensive, so for wine drinkers like us all the options are not too attractive. Overall I would still recommend you the Easy Plus, if you bring a little bit flexibility you will enjoy nice wines. 

On 2/5/2022 at 11:20 PM, Miss_Confused said:

Also key question, what is the best way to have wine in the cabin?

You have to buy a (very expensive) bottle. The bottles are not included in any package. Or with a drinks package choose a cabin that is as close to a bar as possible and grab a glass 🙂

• Like 1