Snorkel on Kona

Lambchops

I had booked our two shore excursions on line 3 weeks ago through NCL. Was told I’d receive confirmation, never did so I called Friday and was told “computer problems” would sign us up and send confirmation – never received. So I called yesterday and got same story, so called today and finally got confirmation a Hilo excursion but was told all snorkeling is sold out on Kona. So at this point don’t know what we’ll do there. I was told to check in excursions on the ship, but heard that's rough and don't want to chance not going snorkeling there. Found Big Island Water Sports that has 3 hr whale watch and snorkel. It's at Honokahau Habor, is that where the cruise ships dock or will we need a cab there? Does someone have other snorkeling recommendations on Kona?

There were taxis right at the pier. We called Fairwind - 800# - before we left home and asked to be put on the list for the day we wanted but we did not give a cc # - just in case something went wrong and we couldn't make it. Then when we were on the dock we called and said we were on the way. They were boarding just as we arrived. It was a great day! Enjoy!

I will cast another vote for the Fair Wind Tour. We took their morning tour in January and had a great time. Excellent crew, very friendly and always ready to help. Very nice boat, with plently of room, and clean restrooms.

We were real lucky because we saw five whales during the sail to the snorkeling location, and I spotted a whale shark during our return trip.

nicknack,

You are correct, they do not currently provide transporation for cruiseship passengers (there have been long discussions on this board about this so you may want to try a search). It is about 7 miles from downtown Kona to the Fari Wind dock, but it is not a quick drive due to traffic. Bucky3's plan worked for them, so that may be the way to go, unless you read comments from others specifically concerning the POAM.

I just booked the fairwind am snorkel but hope the ship gets in on time. Some of my docs say ship gets in at 7:00 others say 8:00. Any one know which is closer time? Also, if there are rough seas, do they not stop there. The gent on the phone was very nice and told me to call ASA I knew when we'd get in and if we'd make it by 9:00. Sure will be sad if we miss it as we have no other plans. Probably get a cab to a beach where we can snorkel on our own. This is too much stress, I need a vacation!

Lambchops, while the snorkeling at Kealakekua Bay is fantastic, the snorkeling from the beach at Kahaluu Beach is also very good and there is a nice variety of fish and lots of turtles. So, if you aren't able to make your Fair Winds snorkel, you at least have an option to head for Kahaluu Beach.

I just went through the same stress over arrival times, and decided to go it on our own to Kahalu'u Beach (although the Fair Winds trip sounded like the best excursion). See the thread tiltled "Only 1 day in Kona" for various sage pieces of advice. :D

I had booked our two shore excursions on line 3 weeks ago through NCL. Was told I’d receive confirmation, never did so I called Friday and was told “computer problems” would sign us up and send confirmation – never received. So I called yesterday and got same story, so called today and finally got confirmation a Hilo excursion but was told all snorkeling is sold out on Kona. So at this point don’t know what we’ll do there. I was told to check in excursions on the ship, but heard that's rough and don't want to chance not going snorkeling there. Found Big Island Water Sports that has 3 hr whale watch and snorkel. It's at Honokahau Habor, is that where the cruise ships dock or will we need a cab there? Does someone have other snorkeling recommendations on Kona?

Body Glove does snorkel tours to Pawai Bay area right from the tender pier. Honokohau Harbor is a small boat harbor about 7 or 8 miles north of Kona and you'd need to take a cab.

Fairwinds sails out of Keahou which is around 5 to 7 miles from the tender pier in Kailua Kona, also a taxi ride. Taxis do hang out at the pier on boat days, but there are only so many and if you aren't on an early tender, it might be an issue to get one right off the bat.

For folks renting cars - our traffic has been really nasty lately, in part due to some road work in "downtown" Kailua-Kona, and in part just because our infrastructure isn't keeping up with our growth, so give yourselves lots of time to get back to the ship! If you are going north, say to Waimea or Hawi, or south to Kealakekua or Pu'uhonua, start back by around 2 or so to miss the worst of it. Distances aren't all that great, but the traffic can slow to a literal crawl and it can take you a long time to get back.

Hi Donna,

What's your opinion of the Koa House Grill? I see you live in Waimea. On the day w'er in port in Hilo we've reserved a 4WD from Harpers and plan on taking Saddle Rd around to Waimea and then on to Waipio Vally. Waimea is the designated lunch spot.

Please let us know what you think about Koa House, or any other dining recommendation you may have (I'm thinking steak).

Thanks!

Hi Donna,

What's your opinion of the Koa House Grill? I see you live in Waimea. On the day w'er in port in Hilo we've reserved a 4WD from Harpers and plan on taking Saddle Rd around to Waimea and then on to Waipio Vally. Waimea is the designated lunch spot.

Please let us know what you think about Koa House, or any other dining recommendation you may have (I'm thinking steak).

Thanks!

Koa House (which was one of our favorite out to dinner places) changed hands about a year or so ago and is now the Waimea Ranch House. It is still quite good - probably still my favorite spot in town, but some other alternatives are Daniel Thiebaut's which is fabulous when they are "on" - not so much on an 'off' day; Merriman's which used to be great, but now, IMHO is riding on their repuation; and Edelweiss which a lot of people just adore but I have never been that taken with.

For a cheaper and VERY local option, you might want to try the plate lunch at the Hawaiian Style Cafe, across the street from the Parker Square 'shopping center' (and I use the term loosely) - red ranch style buildings on Kawaihae Road. If you get there too late, though, they might have stopped serving. Very popular, very local and they serve until they run out of food for the day and then they stop serving.

Another very local spot is Tex Drive In in Honoka'a which you will pass on the road into Waimea. (oops - no you won't coming on the Saddle Road - you'll pass it on the way back from Waipio to Hilo) You should stop there, maybe on your way back, and go through the drive through and pick up the hot malasadas - they make 'em all day. Malasadas are Portugese donuts without a hole and Tex's are famous. You can get plain or really decadent ones with Bavarian Cream or Chocolate, or locally made fruit jelly type fillings like lilikoi. They also do plate lunch at Tex.

If you continue on to the Kohala Coast from Waimea, there's another one of my favorite spots - the Cafe Pesto in Kawaihae (there's one in Hilo too, but I like the Kawaihae one better) and the Harbor Grill is pretty good as well. The big hotels all have good restaurants, although many of them don't do lunch, just dinner.

If you go up to Hawi from Waimea along the Kohala Mountain Road (one of the prettiest drives on the island, IMHO) I'd recommend the Bamboo.

Hope this helps!

Hello Bank of Dad and Donna.....Ms. Bee here.....

I have been reading your postings and thought you were just what I needed!! We are on the 5/20 sailing of the POAM. From reading about the Island of Hawaii....I had come to the conclusion that going to Waipo'o Valley would be a beautiful trip!! The POAM docks in Hilo on Sunday, and the excursions we were looking at do not go on Sundays. I thought we would try to do this on our own because we do not want to miss this lovely drive. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind....

How long would you guess the whole trip would take, approx. from Hilo to the Waipi'o Valley? Do you mind sharing a good route to take? You mentioned renting a FWD from Harpers...where are they located & do you have info. on that too? Any other suggestions or hints would be greatly appreciated.....Much maholo for your time in advance, Aloha, Ms. Bee

I have been reading your postings and thought you were just what I needed!! We are on the 5/20 sailing of the POAM. From reading about the Island of Hawaii....I had come to the conclusion that going to Waipo'o Valley would be a beautiful trip!! The POAM docks in Hilo on Sunday, and the excursions we were looking at do not go on Sundays. I thought we would try to do this on our own because we do not want to miss this lovely drive. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind....

How long would you guess the whole trip would take, approx. from Hilo to the Waipi'o Valley? Do you mind sharing a good route to take? You mentioned renting a FWD from Harpers...where are they located & do you have info. on that too? Any other suggestions or hints would be greatly appreciated.....Much maholo for your time in advance, Aloha, Ms. Bee

Hi Ms Bee. I hope you have a great cruise on POAM! The ship is beautiful!

Harper's is located on Kalanianole Ave., about 4-5 blocks from the cruise ship pier. They do have a shuttle that goes to the pier on days a ship is in port, but you can easily walk there as well.

I spot checked their rates and they were very comparable to Hertz for the 4WD, and others for their standard vehicles (compact/economy cars). Of course, to our knowledge they are the only rental car company that approves of driving on Saddle Road (but only with a 4WD), so that's the main reason we chose them. However, they are also the closest to the pier, which eliminates shuttle concerns the other rental car companies might present (we know - we had a big scare with Thrifty on our last cruise because of the mob waiting for the shuttle - and only one was running - we got lucky and hailed a cab to make it back just before all aboard).

Our plan is to depart Hilo and catch Kaumauna Drive (which is Hwy 200 and turns into Saddle Rd.). For a short diversion, the Kaumanua Cave (a lava tube from one of the lava flows in the 1800's) is right off of the road. We've stopped there before, and it's a very interesting stop with a small parking area across the street.

You probobly know from your research, but Saddle Road goes in between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. Max elevation is about 6,700 feet along the road. I found a real helpful website here http://www.hawaiianstyletravel.com/BigIslandGuide/Guide351.htm that shows a lot of photos of the road, so you have somewhat of an idea as to what to expect.

We thought of going up to the Mauna Kea summit, but canned that idea after thinking about the possibility of altitude sickness. Not worth the risk, IMHO if we are only going to be there the one day, and we still would have to drive back to the cruise ship pier (some day when I spend a week or so on the island I definitely want to do it though, wityh some advance planning and more time to enjoy it).

From Hilo to Waimea we plan to give it three hours for driving and a few short stops for Photo Ops if the fog cooperates. After Lunch in Waimea (an hour and a half), we plan to drive to Waipo Valley (about an hour drive). I don't think we'll spend the time to go down into the valley, and will just view from the lookout before heading back to Hilo along the coast on Hwy 19 (with a few stops, we expect this to take about 3 to 3 1/2 hours).

Of course, as always we'll monitor our time and adjust accordingly, but with this time table we'd be back at the rental car lot sometime arond 5:30PM. Our ship (POH) is scheduled to be in port from 8AM to 7PM, so that gives us some cushion to make "all aboard" by 6:30PM.

I've found that the "Big Island Revealed" guidebook has been right on target and very helpful with past stops on the Big Island, so we're relying on it again this time. It looks like there are some really great stops along the Hwy 19 coastline in particular.

For what it's worth, that's our plan!

We drove Saddle Road in January with a standard Avis rental car. There was nothing in the contract (really just a large postcard size document) that mentioned Saddle Road, other roads, or any other restrictions for that matter. During our drive, we passed numerous cars and other vehicles that did not have 4-wheel drive.

We drove from the Wiamea end up to near the entrance to the Mauna Kea Park. We then turned around since 1) we did not want to go to on to Hilo (was just there a couple of days earlier, and 2) it was foggy with light rain by that time (the weather was mostly sunny the first 2/3 of the drive.

Saddle Road was an interesting drive, but it was not as difficult, or rough as I expected. The condition of the road varies rapidly from fine to pothole city so you have to be alert. The link to the pictures that “bankofdad” posted is very representative of what I remember.

bankofdad, thanks so much for all the info. you provided on the trip to Waipi'o Valley. I have not done alot of research on this trip, but as you see, I am really tring. You have given me alot of help and the websites will prove to be very usefull.

Did you say you that you had been to Waipi'o Valley already? What were your thoughts from that experience? From reading about, it sounds like a beautiful place! We were in Hilo one other time when we cruised on the Star in 2003. During that visit, we did a shore excursion that took us to a lava tube in a rainforest, an orchid farm, snorkel in a collapsed lava tube (beautiful!), then to swim in a thermal pool by the ocean. It was a very nice experience, but we had guides with us and we did learn alot about the land. I think it may be wise for us to check out the "Big Island Revealed" guidebook you suggested.

So glad to hear that you think the POAM is beautiful......we were originally booked on the Pride of Aloha, but were bumped off the ship because of "drydocking". We were lucky enough to find cabins on the POAM. If I recall, you will be on the POH this year, she looks like a beauty too. Enjoy your cruise and much maholo for the extensive reply. Aloha, Ms. Bee;)

sptrout, maholo to you too for your input on the Saddle Road drive. The more info. the better.......we would really like to see this area and it is nice to hear from others whom have already taken the trip. If you have any more tips......feel free to throw them our way. Our thanks to you again.....Aloha, Ms. Bee;)

Coming around on the coast road (as opposed to the Saddle Road) it is about 70 to 90 minutes steady driving - depending on traffic and road work and weather conditions from Hilo to Honoka'a, and about another 15 or minutes from Honoka'a to the Waipio Valley overlook.

DO NOT under any circumstances and even in a four wheel drive vehicle try to drive yourself down into the Valley. Please. It isn't safe. The road was put in by the Peace Corps back in the 60s when they had a "primitive conditions" training camp down in the valley and it is narrow, twisty, sheer, and without any kind of guard rails.

You can hike in and out - steep road, not an easy walk, or - and I have no commercial interest in this at all - preferably take one of the tours. There are several and the guys who run them go in and out of the valley all the time, know the road like the back of their hands, know what they are doing, and will get you down and back up in one piece. Every few months some visitor tries to get down on his/her own and winds up running off the road and/or flipping the rental car, etc. etc. At best you wind up with a huge problem with the rental car company, at worst some people have been killed.

Also weather conditions in and around the valley can be dicey, and the tour guys know when it is safe and when it isn't. There can be flash floods, even when it doesn't appear to be raining, as the valley streams and waterfalls are fed by upslope rains.

That alarmist stuff being said - the valley is beautiful, very sacred to the Hawaiian people, and very historically significant. King Kamehameha I was raised there, the Hawaiian belief system located their entry to the underworld there (supposedly destroyed by one of the tsunamis), and there are numerous burial caves in the cliff walls. It is very wild and overgrown now, but in pre-contact and Kingdom times, it was heavily populated (as many as 10,000 people supposedly) and intensively farmed, mostly wet-land taro along with fruits and yams, and it was said that the agricultural production of the Waipio Valley could feed the entire Big Island in times of famine.

There are semi-feral horses in the valley, along with fully feral pigs, and a few taro and pakalolo farmers who live there full time. There's one Bed and Breakfast operation still down there, I think, and there have been a variety of new age type reteat center folks doing stuff as well. They sort of come and go.

If you do go down there, and you see a sign saying "Kapu" or "Keep out" or an X with what look like balls on the tops (a kapu symbol) stay away. These usually mean that the person is quite serious about his or her privacy and most likely has some method of enforcing that privacy - quite often large unfriendly dogs.

There's a freshwater river and a black sand beach, some trails, all very wild now. The agricultural efforts were mostly wiped out by the tsunamis and it was just too hard to rebuild so the valley's been more or less abandoned since the 60s.

The coast road is very pretty from Hilo to Honoka'a and there is a botanical garden along the way at Onomea Bay - I think the sign says something like "scenic bypass road" and there's a newer botanical garden, World Peace something or other I think, that I haven't been to that is on the upslope side of the road between Honoka'a and around Laupahoehoe, I think. The tsunami memorial at Laupahoehoe Point is worth a trip if you have time. A school house was swept out to sea by the tsunami, and there's a lovely memorial and a very haunting site.

Did you say you that you had been to Waipi'o Valley already?

Hi Ms. Bee,

We haven't been to Waipi'o Valley yet. The first time we stopped in Hilo we explored the Puna area and had a great time. I was stunned by how beautiful this area actually was. The second time we were there we made a few stops in the Puna area and then drove around VNP for another great experience.

Everything Donna says matches what we've read about the area. There's certainly no substitute for local experience on a topic like this, and the info is greatly appreciated!

Too bad about being bumped from POAloha. That was our best cruise vacation ever, and the ship is very very nice. That said, POAm is a one-of-a-kind ship; not a sister ship to anything. Very unique, very beautiful. But in the end, all three NCLA ships (POAloha, POAm, POH) sail basically the same itinerary, and Hawaii is really the attraction. IMHO, this really is a destination cruise.

I hope you have a great time!

Archived