Snorkel on Kona

Lambchops

We did the Waipio Valley ship's tour from Hilo in Fall of 2003. A van took us from the pier up to near the valley. There we were met by a gal in another van who drove us down into the valley ( VERY STEEP grade) where we boarded an open wagon type vehicle pulled by horses. We "toured" around the valley in this wagon. It was a very rough ride. We had been to Hawaii many times and had always wanted to do Waipio Valley. Having said that and done that it is not something we would do again. I agree with everything the local poster said above. This is definitely not something we would attempt on our own and absolutely not in a rental car. Glad we did it once BUT with all Hawaii has to offer this would not be a first choice. We were mighty happy to be back on a main road. Guides on this trip were excellent, and we learned a lot of the history of the valley and sampled some different fruits grown there. Since we took this trip almost three years ago, it may have changed for the better/safer or perhaps it is not even offered any more. Whatever you do, enjoy Hawaii, our very favorite place. Aloha!

. Since we took this trip almost three years ago, it may have changed for the better/safer or perhaps it is not even offered any more. Whatever you do, enjoy Hawaii, our very favorite place. Aloha!

Nope. If anything it has gotten worse. There's little to no maintenance on the road, and some recent rains did a lot of flooding down there just a few weeks ago.

Thanks again to all of you for the great input on the Waipi'o Valley, it is a great help!

Donah, I agree with bankofdad when he says "there is certainly no substitute for local experience on a topic like this". I so appreciate you taking the time to tell us all about the beauty of the region while informing us about the saftey factors. We will be careful and we will not try to go down into the valley without a guide. Like I said before, we would of liked to take the excursion off the ship, but they are not running on Sundays when our ship is in port. You had mentioned going with one of the local tours........I just have not found one yet........do you happen to have any info. on that? We are coming into Hilo, so we would have to know where we could hook up with one if possible. If you don't know of any....that is fine.....you have already been of so much help. It must be wonderful to live in Hawaii!! My son has been living in Honolulu since December and my nephew now for 4 years. They will be with us on our cruise, we are sure to have a grand time! Maholo again Donah

Thanks to you too Bucky3 for your input. Like I said....the more info. the better. It is good to get different views on this great adventure!!

bankofdad, I have taken your advice also and have already gone out and purchased "The Big Island Revealed". Had myself a little trip up to Barnes and Noble, took a look at the book and thought, "this is great, gotta get it". It will be most helpful in our trip.

I felt bad about being bumped off of the Pride of Aloha.....we had booked on that ship because we thought she looked the 'most Hawaiian". I have heard though how beautiful the Pride of America is and we will be most happy cruising along the lovely Hawaiian Islands in Paradise!!

Aloha and maholo......Ms. Bee;)

Thanks again to all of you for the great input on the Waipi'o Valley, it is a great help!

Donah, I agree with bankofdad when he says "there is certainly no substitute for local experience on a topic like this". I so appreciate you taking the time to tell us all about the beauty of the region while informing us about the saftey factors. We will be careful and we will not try to go down into the valley without a guide. Like I said before, we would of liked to take the excursion off the ship, but they are not running on Sundays when our ship is in port. You had mentioned going with one of the local tours........I just have not found one yet........do you happen to have any info. on that? We are coming into Hilo, so we would have to know where we could hook up with one if possible. If you don't know of any....that is fine.....you have already been of so much help. It must be wonderful to live in Hawaii!! My son has been living in Honolulu since December and my nephew now for 4 years. They will be with us on our cruise, we are sure to have a grand time! Maholo again Donah

As was suggested, will post the Waipio info on the new Waipio thread.

Now begins the lesson in Hawaiian:;)

Mahalo - Thank You

Mahalo Nui Loa - Thank you very much (literal - nui = big, loa = long)

Have to watch your vowels as they change the meaning of the words pretty significantly!

So far as I (and my Hawaiian dictionary) know, there's no such word as maholo, but ma is at or in, and holo is to run or go, so the interpretation would be something like running in.

Hawaiian has the following consonants:

H, K, L, M, N, P, W plus a thing called an "okina" shown in writing as a backwards ' and signifying a glottal stop, which is the sound in between when you say uh-oh.

Vowels are pronounced as follows

A = AH

E = A (as in say)

I = EE (as in see)

O = OH (as in nose)

U = EW (as in stew)

If stressed (see below) the sound is longer.

Everything else is vowels, which can be "regular" or stressed, which is shown with a macron (bar above the letter). All of which can change the meaning of the words.

Some common Hawaiian words you will see in Hawaii:

Kokua - this doesn't mean trash, but lots of visitors go away thinking it does, because it is on a lot of rubbish containers as in "Mahalo for your kokua" - Which means, Thank you for your help. Kokua is help or assistance.

Kau-kau - food

A hui hou - until we meet again

Hana hou - literal - do again, usage - Encore! to performers

Kapu - same as Tahitian tabu - forbidden or sacred

Kalua - typically seen with cooking as in "kalua pig" - cooked in earth oven

Heiau - temple

Mauka - towards the mountain (inland)

Makai - towards the ocean

'Ohana - family

'Aina - the land - a more mystical and encompassing concept in Hawaiian

Malama - to care for/about

E komo mai - Welcome

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Donna you are a wealth of info. I just added Bamboo Restuarant to my Kona Itinerary. We are going to drive up to the Kohala coast from Kona the day after Hilo. Since you know the restaurant would you think it would be appropriate for children. They travel with us always and know how to behave. If it wouldn't work do you have any other recomendations. We like local places. No chain restaurants.

Thanks

We will be careful and we will not try to go down into the valley without a guide. Like I said before, we would of liked to take the excursion off the ship, but they are not running on Sundays when our ship is in port. You had mentioned going with one of the local tours........I just have not found one yet........do you happen to have any info. on that?

Aloha and maholo......Ms. Bee;)

Getting back to Waipio for just a moment (sorry)... it is my understanding that Sunday is a sort of day of rest for the Waipio Valley which is why there are no ship excursions, nor do I believe you will find any independent excursions/tours, but I could be mistaken.

The Bamboo is pretty family friendly, although I'd keep a close eye on the little ones in the adjacent gift shop. They have a "you break it you buy it" policy and they aren't cheap.

The building used to be the community grocery store and it has a lot of atmosphere, plus really good food. If you are here longer at some point, there is also really good live entertainment on the weekends. Our friend John Keawe plays there a couple of times a month, and they also carry his CDs - really great slack key player and vocalist. His wife Hope has become quite an accomplished hula dancer over the last 10 or 12 years, too, and she dances while he plays and sings. Nice evening.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to going there. Trust me the rug rats will behave. They will or the wrath of mom will get them. The first thing I tell them when we enter a store is "Don't touch a thing". If it's a really "delicate" store they stay out side with their dad. He hates shopping anyway so no loss there.:o

Archived