Port of Miami to Port Everglades

mckenje

Will be arriving next month at the POM on Royal Caribbean early the same morning (a Friday) that I have a cruise leaving that afternoon from Port Everglades.  Travelling solo, so am quite fine walking a reasonable distance & using public transit.  I would appreciate advice on what’s the most convenient and cost effective way to get to Port Everglades.  I’m thinking it might be easiest to head first to Miami Airport, but seek any help here that someone can suggest.  Thanks!!

wow.  good for you.  Port of Miami to Port Everglades is 27.7 miles.  So walking out of the question .  4 ways to travel:  1) train and bus,( takes about 2 hours  ,2) bus only, (cheapest) takes about 4 hours)3)  Taxi or uber  (about $75.00 takes around 30 min, or 4)  drive.  Your best bet and safest  is Taxi or Uber . 

Edited by Missymo

Hey, thanks to both Missymo and kamelia for such quick replies!  Chuckled at the idea of walking all the way, not gonna happen…  The train and bus option sounds best.  Does this involve heading to MIA airport first and how easy is this from Port of Miami?

😊  If you use the link I included above and switch your search results going from Freedom Tower Metromover Station, that should bring up options for public transport from there to Port Everglades.

Depending upon which terminal you come in to in Miami, walking to that Metromover Station could be either just over 1 mile or just over 2 (Cruise Terminal E vs. Cruise Terminal A).  The bus stop drop-off appears to be at the north end of Port Everglades which would be closest to Terminal 2 which is very often used by Princess ships and is about a six-block walk from the bus drop-off.  I remember that at one point we used a port bus to get from Terminal 26 at the south end to Terminal 2 - it's usually used to provide transport to the parking garages when ships leave from one terminal and return to another, but nobody objected when we used it just to change ships.

Another option, and maybe something that would have greater appeal depending upon the weather, is to check to see what the cruise line transfer cost is to go from Port of Miami to Fort Lauderdale airport then cruise shuttle to Port Everglades as opposed to Port of Miami to Miami airport and then cruise shuttle to Port Everglades.  My guess is that they've got it figured out so that there may not be any difference in price, but it's still worth looking at.

Wow, kamelia!  Thanks for this further information. I’ll check out what you mention here. Another factor, which might change as Covid subsides, is whether Royal Caribbean arranges for a test before I disembark in Miami. If not, I’m going to have to stop in Fort Lauderdale for an antigen test. I’ve heard there’s a good place for this on 17th Street.  This is the world we live in now…

• 2 weeks later...

John, thanks for your comment!  What you’ve suggested is actually what I’ve decided to settle on.  The Brightline train looks fast and comfortable.  I’m still not sure when check-in for the cruise from Fort Lauderdale will be.  So I may have some time to kill there depending on how early I disembark in Miami.   Then I’ve got to find a shuttle or Uber to whatever is the right terminal.  Should be interesting….