Slippery Shoes!

Clutterlady

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how to keep your heels from slipping when walking on floors that are not carpeted? Last year on our cruise I had a pair of sandels on with a small heel, they were new and when walking accross a tile floor on the ship my foot slipped and my knee went the other way. You guessed it, the next day I was in sick bay with a soft cast on my knee. Want to avoid that this year. My shoes for formal night are 3", new and slippery. What could you do to the heel to make it less slippery? Has this happened to anyone else or am I just a klutz!!

Louise

The shoe repair shop near me has these little pad that are adhesive on one side and rough on the other that I put on the bottom of new shoes.

You can always try some sandpaper to rough up the bottom a bit (did that with our military dress shoes and it worked rather well).

Best wishes,

~e

Thanks for the quick responses. Thought about the sandpaper thing but was just wondering if it would scuff it enough, only a tiny little heel and not leather. Can't walk up and down the driveway in 3" heels, our driveway is on a hill.........won't make this cruise! I'm going to look into the pads that just may work!

Thanks again!

I think we might be talking apples and oranges here.

Your problem is with the sharp edge of the heel and the solutions being offered are for the sole.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've had some near-misses as that sharp edge on the heel of my shoe hit the wood floor in a way that almost had my foot sliding away from my leg. It's a scary feeling.

I honestly don't think there's any solution to that. Those heel lifts are made from plastic. I'm wondering if it's possible that some shoe repair shops have heel lifts made from a high density rubber that might add friction and cut down on the slide? It's worth asking about. (I think I'm going to ask my guy next time I'm there)

The other solutions, sandpapering or using those sticky sandpaper strips, I think might help a little (and yes, every little bit helps). But they won't keep your heel from sliding out from under you.

I wear high heels all the time and use a lot of caution when walking on shiny wood floors.

I'm not sure if this would help with the heel or not, but I've had good luck with fabric glue on my slippery shoes. I just smear some of the heel and on the ball of the shoe. When it dries it's sort of sticky/grippy. I had one very dangerous pair of BCBG stilletos and this did the trick. However, the heel was only about 2", so perhaps not quite as dangerous as you mention. And it was really the ball of the shoe that I was having problems with. It might be worth a shot though.

Jane, you hit the "heel" on the head. Exactly, it is the edges and after last year I'm really scared! I use to wear heels every day to work but I now work in a casual office and can wear flats or clogs. I guess I could wear flats for formal night, but with being only 5'1" and wearing a long dress, somehow it doesn't seem right!?! There has to be a solution, but I sure do appreciate everyone's suggestions. Please keep them coming!

Jane, you hit the "heel" on the head. Exactly, it is the edges and after last year I'm really scared! I use to wear heels every day to work but I now work in a casual office and can wear flats or clogs. I guess I could wear flats for formal night, but with being only 5'1" and wearing a long dress, somehow it doesn't seem right!?! There has to be a solution, but I sure do appreciate everyone's suggestions. Please keep them coming!

Yeah, I thought I was understanding you.

I like the idea that Tupelohoney suggested. Maybe the fabric glue makes the heel a bit sticky and would create a little friction on the wood floor.

I just make sure I walk slowly when in high heels on a slick wooden floor.

Jane

Archived