Galaxy Refurb?

CruiseTobey

Hello all. First time poster.

My wife and I have booked a cruise on the Galaxy for April 2007. This is our first foray into Celebrity since we are Royal Caribbean fans.

Does anyone out there have any firm information about a refit of the Galaxy between now and April 2007? I've heard whispers of a drydck in October 2006 but haven't been able to confirm this.

Any other first-hand info about the Galaxy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

CruiseTobey

Welcome to Cruise Critic, Cruise Tobey!

I was on GALAXY 1/9 - 1/21 and the Cruise Director told our CC group that the drydock is expected "at the end of 2006". Also, I wrote a lengthy review that you might want to look at for comprehensive information about GALAXY.

Go here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=286425

Happy Cruising to you!

Cheers,

Hello all. First time poster.

My wife and I have booked a cruise on the Galaxy for April 2007. This is our first foray into Celebrity since we are Royal Caribbean fans.

Does anyone out there have any firm information about a refit of the Galaxy between now and April 2007? I've heard whispers of a drydck in October 2006 but haven't been able to confirm this.

Any other first-hand info about the Galaxy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Unless Celebrity cancels a cruise, Galaxy is booked solid right on through April 26, 2007, and no dry dock could occur until after that. That's not to say they might not cancel a cruise and do it, but that'd be unusual, not to mention annoying!

:eek: Nicki, you broke my heart during the "galaxy" review when you said the r/t cruises out of Galveston are going away after next year.

I know, mctrekkie. Believe me, when I discovered that, I quickly booked the cruise for exactly that reason. I figured everyone ought to be forewarned, so I included that information at the end of the review so that others might be able to take advantage of GALAXY while she is still easily accessible in Galveston and not in the luggage-loss capital of the free world, San Juan. Pricing is great right now, too! :)

Cheers,

Neighbor just returned from Panama Canal cruise. He was told that when refurb occurs, that they are going to cut the ship in half and add to the length of the ship allowing for more cabins. Don't know that that is possible but sounded reasonable.

Neighbor just returned from Panama Canal cruise. He was told that when refurb occurs, that they are going to cut the ship in half and add to the length of the ship allowing for more cabins. Don't know that that is possible but sounded reasonable.

Hi Jim P !

While it is possible, cutting Galaxy in half is probably not happening. Celebrity had planned to do that to Century, but for various reasons, decided against it. I am not against it happening, but as they chose not to do it to Century, I would be surprised if they did it to Galaxy.

After many years of Cruising.... I have learned that, the wonderful staff on the ship, are typically the last to know what is "really" being planned at corporate HQ. Unless it was a Senior officer, I would take much of what I heard onboard, with a grain of salt.

The only thing I have heard, is that Celebrity is waiting to see how the Century upgrade goes.... and if it goes well (and we hope it does !) then the same type of upgrade would be considered for Galaxy and Mercury over the next 1-3 years. We will have to wait and see.

Archived