Visiting a Coffee Plantation while In San Juan?

CruisingWalter

Hi all,

I did a search for "Coffee" in this forum but only saw folks recommending where to buy coffee in San Juan. Has anyone ever taken an excursion, either private or via a ship, to one of the coffee plantations in Puerto Rico? I was watching an episode of Gordon Ramsay's Uncharted and he visited one during his visit to Puerto Rico. I found this website that lists a bunch of the plantations that are open to tours and visits, but didn't see any coffee excursions on my next cruise. So I'm curious if any of you have visited these plantations during your visits. Thanks!  https://theculturetrip.com/caribbean/puerto-rico/articles/the-coolest-coffee-plantations-you-need-to-visit-in-puerto-rico/

Many years ago, we visited Hacienda Buena Vista- but we did that while staying in Ponce.  Which is the key issue with trying to visit any of them from San Juan- it's a min 1 1/2 hour drive from San Juan to get there.  More likely closer to +2 hours.  There are quite a few coffee plantations in SW Puerto Rico- not sure how many of them allow visitors.  We did manage to visit another (which I can't remember the name) just east of Adjuntas- which was about a 30 min drive from central Ponce.

(side point- it was a hot +90 in Ponce, but a very comfortable 72 at the plantation that July afternoon)

Basically, I would not attempt to visit a coffee plantation if you are on a cruise.  If you were staying in San Juan, it would make a nice day drive to visit.  Much like if someone from Ponce was going to the rain forest (which we have done a few times).

• Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 10:54 AM, alfaeric said:

Basically, I would not attempt to visit a coffee plantation if you are on a cruise.  If you were staying in San Juan, it would make a nice day drive to visit.  Much like if someone from Ponce was going to the rain forest (which we have done a few times).

Thanks so much for the info. I saw on the website about 6 of the plantations are allowing visitors but I wasn't really sure how far they were. I really appreciate the insight!

• 5 months later...