Excursion to La Casa en La Playa Amber Cove

luvavacation

My family and I recently visited La Casa en La Playa.  There were some good things, and some things that have made us decide it isn't a place we would go to again.

The good...

Mama, the proprietress, is a fun, joyful lady.  We all had some great laughs during the bus ride to and from the excursion.  One caveat - this is not a kid-friendly bus ride if one is wary of having children hear off-colour humour.  It was very suggestive at times.  For adults, well, we laughed.

The employees all seemed pleasant.  None were pushy, and the only person walking around drumming up business was the person braiding hair.  She was not demanding at all, and we did not find her intrusive as can be the case at some beaches.

Dogs on premises!  And puppies!  Now, these are beach dogs, not the well-groomed, perfectly clean house dogs some may be used to. As long as you remember that perspective varies on how dogs should be treated from country to country, then you will be fine.  After all, the dogs were very friendly, eager for some petting, and the puppies were adorable little cuties!  

The included drinks were fine if you are someone that doesn't drink often and thus doesn't know if a drink is a good or bad choice.  Cokes and water tend to be more our style, and there was always a Coke and a bottle of water available at the bar (though I did have one of the included rum drinks and I liked it, but again, I am not a drink connoisseur).

Lunch was fine, chicken was cooked perfectly, but if you are a strict vegetarian, you may have some trouble finding enough to satisfy your hunger after walking and playing on the beach.

One can walk the beach in both directions and not be bothered with loud parties.  It was a very quiet area, easy to relax.

Bathroom was clean.  Did not find a swarm of flies buzzing around, which is always a plus at a beach bathroom.

Fried plantains were made on site, very fresh, but there was a charge for them so bring some cash if you would like to have some plantains.

The not-so-good...

We had read about the variety to choose from at the meal.  There was instead a very limited choice.  We had coconut shavings, papaya, sliced cucumbers, salad greens, white rice with a spattering of black beans in it, spaghetti with red sauce, and aforementioned grilled chicken.  There was no fish option, so if you prefer fish for your protein and expect it due to reviews, it was not served while we were there.

Only one toilet for men, and one toilet for women.  I suppose the ocean is also there if needed (as suggested by a person standing in line), but this did make for lines at the women's toilet, so plan accordingly if you start feeling the need to "freshen up".

This one was a major problem for us - the glass on the beach.  And in the sand by the chairs.  The glass hidden in the sand as you walk by your beach chair (one could argue that the glass on the beach was swept in from the sea, but there should not be glass as you walk around your beach chair). The broken glass bottles found on the shoreline with jagged edges sticking up.  I had accidently stepped on a hidden jagged edge of a bottle and had the glass poke through my water slippers.  We started picking up glass and had a nice large pile within an hour's time.  There was still plenty left for others to find!

I have no idea what happens at this beach when tourists aren't there, but I have never been to a private beach with this much broken glass.  It was dangerous.

As I said, there were aspects of this excursion that we did enjoy, but overall, considering the limited meal options that were not as described by the cruiseline, and the glass filled beach, it is not a place I would consider returning to, at least, not for the price that we paid.  

• Thanks 2

• 1 year later...