Recommendations for Kauai drive

DGK

We are planning our first trip and cruise to Hawaii in May on P.O.A. Due to this wonderful site all our days are planned except for our day in Kauai. We have one full day which we need your assistance with. Our car has been rented and we are not interested in the highly recommended helicopter tours. Our second day we are planning on doing some local shopping and staying close to the boat. We have used the Ultimate Kauai Revealed book along with Frommers and would like to spend the early afternoon driving to Waimea Canyon and Jo-Jo's for shave ice. I have read mixed reviews on Fern Grotto any comments ??? We are interested in any interesting sights , waterfalls, beaches , view points, Fern Grotto etc and how far did you drive at the canyon ? Advice on how to plan the morning would be so appreciated.

Thanks, DGK

Having been to Fern Grotto on 3 different trips, I tend to think it's really not worth the limited time you have. We first went to Fern Grotto in 1988 before the hurricane Iniki devastated it. They also have had problems with a supply of water which had been diverted for sugar cane irrigation. We last visited it in 2003 and it really hadn't recovered yet.

Waimea is probably the #1 attraction and requires a good half day. We drove to the end of the road there for the view of the Napali coast, but it was too cloudy. I'd imagine views might be better in the am as we were there around 1 pm. Personally, I'd go to Waimea in the morning, maybe stopping at Poipu on the way back. Also there are two waterfalls in the Lihue area, Wailua and Opaekaa, both not far from Lihue.

We were on the 2/11 POAM cruise. Here is what we did. Rented a car and left the ship around 8am. Drove toward the canyon, took a diversion to see sprouting horn, wasn't sprouting much, but the "stands" set up near there were fun, got some $1 broken shell necklaces and cool "monkey pod wood" bowl. Also my kids loved running with the wild chickens there (they are everywhere in Kauai). Then we went to the canyon, we went to the 2nd road going up & came back down the first, beautiful drive, we didn't go up to the final part to see the coast (was raining up there), but did stop at the canyon overlooks, then headed down and went to our 12:45 tour at Guy & Robinson's Sugar Plantation. We just ate snacks in the car. By the way just beyond where we went up the canyon was a beautiful looking beach, wish we could have seen that. The sugar plantation tour was very good, part field & part factory - they were not in production so was a down time, but still kept us all interested for 2 hours and that includes a 11 & 13 year old! We then drove back to port and stopped and saw one of the waterfalls (I believe Waileau, which be aware has construction at the view spot) and then decided to return the car - we were back on the boat by 5. The island is quite small, we didn't get to see the North side via land, but was a nice day. We stayed on the boat the next day, I walked off the ship to the beach in the morning and shopping is near by - this was by far the nicest port in MHO, not industrial.

When we were there on Aug. 31/05, we rented a van and took a helicopter tour in the morning. At noon we drove north all the way to the end of the road to snorkel at Ke'e Beach. It was quite good. A little bit from the shore you can be see the beginning of the Napali coast.

On the way to Ke'e Beach and back to the pier, we stoped at many many scenic spots very briefly. If we had more time we would stop a little long, stroll around, and enjoy the beautiful scenery. Kauai is the oldest island and has more lush greens than other islands.

Depending on the time and your likes, you might include more snorkeling, or more hiking into your trip.

If there ever was an island to do the helicopter tour it is Kauai. The drive to Waimea Canyon is great. I did a helicoper tour in the morning from the airport closest to the ship and then made the drive to the Canyon. Yes the day was busy but worth it.

Best of luck because there are really plenty of things to see and that is one reason the helicopter tour is so nice because you can see so much in a limited time.

Thank you Dan, Calimn, Middleager and Snowbird1 for all your great advice. Unfortunately the helicopter will not work for us even though the reviews sound fantastic..

Dan, what was the road like towards the end of the canyon drive ? Was it in rough shape ? Did you go to either of the waterfalls ?

MVCTC, what we planned so far is a mixture of NCL excursions and car rentals ( our first cruise and trip to hawaii )

Hilo-NCL Volcanoe national Park, Maui car rental day 1 -snorkel & play Kapalua beach & Kaanapali Beach, shop in Lahaina and have tickets for Old Lahainia Luau, Day 2 Maui- Ioa Valley, Mama's Fish House, and Hookipa or Hamoa Beach, Kona-NCL Captain Zodiak , Kauai car rental.

Any other suggestions for our Kauai drive ? Is it possible to see some of the north shore and Waimea Canyon in one day ? If so is it worth it ? Attemting to make the most out of our day.

Thank you soooo much everyone !!!

Archived