If you’re sailing from Barbados take a clinician-administered PCR test within the three days before you fly. ???

If you’re sailing from Barbados take a clinician-administered PCR test within the three days before you fly.

Can anybody please explain what this means.

I understand I need to take a LFT not earlier than 21:00 the night before I fly to Barbados, so I will probably order a Chronomics test and take it at the hotel in Gatwick the night before, getting "the certificate" via 4G or hotel wifi.

But what is a "clinician-administered PCR test" and where would I get it done ??

Thanks 

Paul

Well spotted. How many people have not read the requirements? Perhaps they let you though with an LFT result?

Neighbours flew to Barbados in January to watch the T20 cricket - not on TUI. They found a "clinician-administered PCR test" at East Midlands airport (we live near Nottingham). They got in and out of Barbados so assume that worked but not had a conversation with them since for various reasons.

I think TUI are ignoring the rules and just linking to home testing which is NOT the same.

So hopefully someone will clarify who has been on a relevant TUI cruise. Or you could wait for 40 minutes on the phone to TUI or do a Google search and phone the supplier.

PS. This plus the isolation rules/excursion rules was why we changed our cruise to a land-based holiday. We were supposed to be on Discovery in Antigua today!! Hopefully in 2023. 

Edited by idh2019
additional info

Check out the VistBarbados.org website which has the Barbados current requirements: COVID-19 TRAVEL GUIDELINES 2022 - Visit Barbados. Basically they want a PCR test at a testing service to avoid any mistakes with a self administered test. If you Google PCR Covid test for travel you should be able to find one near you, IIRC you cannot use a the free NHS test for travel purposes. The self administered LFT test the night before is to ensure you haven't gone positive since your PCR test and may be for TUI/Marella purposes.  

Pasted from VisitBarbados.website:

ALL travellers into Barbados, inclusive of those deemed fully vaccinated, are asked to review, and indicate their acceptance of the following:

ALL travellers must travel with an accepted valid negative COVID-19 PCR Test OR Rapid Antigen Test result.

Travellers are permitted to travel to Barbados with a valid negative Rapid COVID-19 PCR test OR Rapid Antigen test result done within 1 day prior to arrival in Barbados OR a negative RT-PCR COVID-19 test result done within 3 days prior to arrival.

Accepted tests include tests which were taken at an accredited or recognized laboratory by a healthcare provider via any of the below:

• Nasopharyngeal sample
  • Oropharyngeal sample
  • Nasal sample
  • Anterior nares sample
  • Mid-turbinate sample

LAMP tests, self-administered tests or home kits and tests using saliva samples will NOT be accepted.

With specific reference to the type of test required and accepted for entry into Barbados:

Specific Requirements:

1. The specimen must be taken at an accredited or recognized laboratory by a healthcare provider via any of the below: nasopharyngeal sample, oropharyngeal sample, nasal sample, anterior nares sample or mid-turbinate sample.
  2. The sample must be taken within 3 days prior to arrival for RT PCR test or 1 day prior to arrival for Rapid COVID-19 PCR Test OR Rapid Antigen Test.
  3. The laboratory performing the test must be an accredited, certified or recognized facility

Please note that the following will NOT be accepted:

• Shallow nasal swab samples
  • Saliva samples
  • Self-administered tests (even if the sample was taken under the supervision of a healthcare provider)
  • Home kits

The COVID-19 Protocols are sanctioned by Ministry of Health and Wellness (MHW)
Last Updated: 26th February 2022,
Last Verified by MHW: 26th March 2022

Thanks for confirming the requirements and offering possible locations for the test.

I had read all the Barbados web pages (which resulted in our move to an alternative holiday) but how many people are not aware? No big "TUI passengers not allowed into Barbados" headlines so I wonder what the real situation is!

Thanks for your help Bishop84

So, to clarify my own mind, it seems I need 2 tests:

"clinician-administered PCR test" within 72 hours before travel or before landing in Barbados, not quite sure which is correct. There seems to be a testing site 1 mile from Gatwick North Terminal so I could do a test the night before the flight, that means a taxi to/from hotel, a 40 minute wait for the result and cost of about £119. Or I have found a local testing station 25 miles away costing £80 with results available the next day. 

An antigen test after 9pm the night before I board the ship, so is that UK 9pm or Barbados 9pm ??

This I guess is the Cronomics test, DIY, needing 4G or Wifi.

Then there is the Barbados immigration form to fill in.

Have I got this right, has anyone else been through this stuff.

So confused, and if I get it wrong, no cruise.

We've just returned for a land based holiday in Barbados, we took an antigen test the day before at Boots, we did check with the Barbados authorites who cofirmed it could be any time the day before.

Not sure if cruises are requiring a PCR but hotel based holidays in Barbados don't.

https://issuu.com/visitbarbados/docs/btmi_travel_protocols_final?fr=sY2JmYjI5MjYzNDk

AFAIK your clarification is correct but keep an eye on the websites in case they change before your cruise as the requirements may change! IMO It may be stressful to leave your PCR test to when you get to the airport so maybe consider getting it before then? There are several options available but Boots do in store tests in Cardiff or Swansea and you can also order a self administered Fit-to-fly LFT test from them as well.

Edited by bishop84

Thanks,

I didn't know boots did PCR tests, is it just the Cardiff or Swansea branches, are there anybody else who do tests?

The local test I had in mind is with ExpressTest at Cardiff City Stadium football ground.

The Marella websites specifically state a PCR test is required 3 days before, but the ExpressTest site says an Antigen test or PCR test is required, confused. 

Checking on the P&O site, they confirm the Marella requirement,  an Antigen fit to fly test (complementary with P&O) and a PCR test for Barbados entry. 

Boots do them in several branches but the nearest branches that do to Porthcawl are Cardiff or Swansea. I Googled ' PCR Tests south wales' and it came up with several firms. If your driving the one at Express Test would be easiest as driving into the city centre where Boots is can be difficult and parking expensive! The only ones nearer Porthcawl seem to be NHS only which, unfortunately, cannot be used for travel.

Royal Caribbean says either PCR or rapid antigen

Testing Requirements

Required Pre-Arrival and Pre-Cruise Testing

Testing is required to enter Barbados and to board the ship. These requirements vary depending on guests’ age and vaccination status.

PCR Testing

• All travelers age 5 and older require a negative COVID-19 test result to fly into Barbados regardless of vaccination status. The test must be either an RT-PCR test taken within the 3 days before the day you fly into the country, or a rapid PCR test or rapid antigen test taken within 1 day before you fly into the country. You must upload the result to Barbados’ online Immigration/Customs Form, and show it to authorities upon arriving. Learn more about island entry requirements at Visit Barbados
  • Unvaccinated guests age 2 to 11 must show a negative COVID-19 PCR test result at the cruise terminal for a test taken no more than 3 days before the day you board the ship. This test can be either an RT-PCR or a rapid PCR. If timed properly, the same PCR test result provided for entry into Barbados can satisfy this requirement. Note: Royal Caribbean will not accept an antigen test to satisfy the pre-cruise testing requirement to board.

Barbados does not accept antibody tests, self-administered tests, even if the sample was taken under the supervision of a health care provider, home kits, shallow nasal swab samples and tests using saliva samples.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/gbr/en/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise

Good luck getting a definitive answer. We contacted the Barbados tourism authority in London to confirm, they responded very quickly

Their email address is

btmiuk@visitbarbados.org

I found this from Marella:

"What do I need to bring with me?
We’ll be checking documents at the airport and at the cruise terminal. As well as your test result and proof of vaccination, we’ll also be checking any pre-departure forms needed for entry to your destination, passport, new cruise boarding pass and cruise travel insurance – so please make sure you have all your documents on hand.

- Proof of vaccination
   - Any entry documents required
   - Proof of comprehensive cruise travel insurance
   - Negative PCR test certificate for entry to Barbados or Jamaica
   - Negative antigen test certificate for boarding our ship
   - Passport with 6 months validity"

• 4 weeks later...