ISP Hoonah Travel Adventures experiences?

mamallama123

Hi, all. I have reserved a whale watching excursion through Hoonah Travel Adventures. Does anyone have any experience with this company that you can share? I want to make sure we are using a good private tour company so we can get the best possible experience. TIA.

Hoonah Travel Adventures is an excellent company. It is owned by a group of local native people that actually live and work in Hoonah and benefit directly from the patronage of cruise ship passengers to help sustain their community. You will meet wonderful people when you tour with them.

We booked their Native Canoe trip last summer on our stop in Icy Strait Point and it was honestly one of the best excursions we have been on in Alaska. The opportunity to paddle an authentic native canoe and hear the songs and stories while enjoying the beauty there was amazing.

We had such a great experience that we have booked their very well reviewed whale watching trip this summer when we return. We also considered the kayaking, but opted for whale watching this year. I'm confident that we will get the same stellar care and service on the whale watching tour that we did on their canoe tour. They truly care about and know the local area and share that knowledge and love with their guests. I can't recommend their company more highly!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Hoonah Travel Adventures is an excellent company. It is owned by a group of local native people that actually live and work in Hoonah and benefit directly from the patronage of cruise ship passengers to help sustain their community. You will meet wonderful people when you tour with them.

We booked their Native Canoe trip last summer on our stop in Icy Strait Point and it was honestly one of the best excursions we have been on in Alaska. The opportunity to paddle an authentic native canoe and hear the songs and stories while enjoying the beauty there was amazing.

We had such a great experience that we have booked their very well reviewed whale watching trip this summer when we return. We also considered the kayaking, but opted for whale watching this year. I'm confident that we will get the same stellar care and service on the whale watching tour that we did on their canoe tour. They truly care about and know the local area and share that knowledge and love with their guests. I can't recommend their company more highly!

Thank you! I am glad to know all of this! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

We used them for both whale watching and bear watching.  They have amazing customer service.  We booked with them originally in 2020 and had to keep moving the date.  Because they are all locals they have amazing information and history to give you about the city.  We really enjoyed them.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 8:49 PM, MellyBell said:

We used them for both whale watching and bear watching.  They have amazing customer service.  We booked with them originally in 2020 and had to keep moving the date.  Because they are all locals they have amazing information and history to give you about the city.  We really enjoyed them.

Can you tell me more about the bear search part of your excursion please?  We want to do a bear search and some companies will drive you around for hours looking for bears and then I also heard that you can walk on a boardwalk to viewing platforms.  I was looking at Hoonah Travel Adventures and Icy Strait Whale Adventures.  Thank you for any response.

On 9/14/2022 at 9:29 AM, ermedchyc29 said:

Can you tell me more about the bear search part of your excursion please?  We want to do a bear search and some companies will drive you around for hours looking for bears and then I also heard that you can walk on a boardwalk to viewing platforms.  I was looking at Hoonah Travel Adventures and Icy Strait Whale Adventures.  Thank you for any response.

They drive you around in vans for several hours looking for bears.  Our van was the only one that didn’t see any bear but we did see a lot of bear scat. 😂. When the groups did see a bear they would stop and get out of the van if it was safe.  Because they are a local company they give a lot of history and we found it fascinating.  

• Like 1