Video game tournaments in kids club

My 10-yr-old claims he refuses to go on the cruise unless he's allowed to play video games. I know there's an arcade, but the description of the preteen (9-12) club indicated that they run video game tournaments.

But he wants to know what games, so he can deem them "cool" enough for him. (Seriously, dude, really?) Last night he was Googling "video games in preteen club on Royal Caribbean" and didn't find any names listed, so I said I'd ask the Cruise Critic folks.

The things we do for our kids, amirite?

We just got off Oasis, the kids club for that age group was from 6-12, I didn't see anything for "pre-teens".  My son was a bit disappointed as they only offered craft or active games during the kids club sessions.  I asked and was told they had limited computer/video games and it was hard to accomodate the large number of kids.  I'm hoping that future changes to kids club makes more variety of activities as they did the active games every night.   One night late night, they did have a movie on.  

Your 10 year old would rather stay home? If he's going to bored out of his mind, maybe let him stay home if someone is there to watch him? I mean, how many video games can he play on a ship? On Navigator, there were a handful of Xbox One systems in Adventure Ocean (not the latest Xbox - the generation prior).

If my son talked to me like that I would tell him to change his attitude quickly or he won’t get to play any video games at all (and yes I have a son not much older who loves video games).  

I believe they all have some x boxes but not sure what games.  And likely not the most recent ones.   Also they don’t have a huge number of systems so they won’t let him play all the time.   If that’s what he’s expecting he will be disappointed. 

• Like 1

If you get the internet package he can play gamepass games streaming. He will need to bring his controller or get a razor game controller.  I am a old gamer.  Played halo5 on my last cruise at night when I couldn't sleep worked well for me.  Hopefully he has xbox gamepass.  Gears of War worked well too on that trip.  It was on princess though. 

He can even play multiplayer games if he wants to play real people and not NPCs all day. You also can play where you want not just in cabin.  I killed plenty people. Lag and drops do occur though. 

2 hours ago, BazingAu said:

Your 10 year old would rather stay home? If he's going to bored out of his mind, maybe let him stay home if someone is there to watch him? 

Nobody available to watch him, so staying home really isn't an option, and his claim of "refusing" to go on the cruise is just him being dramatic.

I know he's going to have fun, but I figured I'd humor him by asking what types of games they have. I hope they don't lump all kids ages 6-12 together, because that's a REALLY big age range. I can't imagine either of my kids (4th and 6th now, but will be 5th and 7th by the time we go) would have any interest in crafts and active games.

It'll be Fall Break week, but if that's how they're handling the kids activities during Spring Break...oy.

16 hours ago, DukeASUGirl said:

It'll be Fall Break week, but if that's how they're handling the kids activities during Spring Break...oy.

I think it depends on the ship. My 7 year old wanted to do arts and crafts activities, but all they had were video games!! Lol.

• Haha 1