Sky Suite vs. C Class

CalKev

I know this has been a highly debated subject. But for myself and my spouse it is an important one as we have always chosen an inside cabin and are going to go back on Mercury (which we both love) this fall to Mexico...this time with a room with a view. We are leaning toward the Sky Suite and have put a deposit on one.

So I ask you C Critics (by the way who have never let us down with sound advice). If you were a first time outside cabin passenger would you choose a S Suite or C Class cabin and why?

Your comments are appreciated - past and present.

Kevin

Mercury Nov. '03 Mexican Riviera, 11 Night

Explorer May '04 Western Caribbean, 7 Night

Grandeur May '05 Western Caribbean, 6 Night

Adventure May '05 Deep Southern Caribbean, 7 Night

We personally enjoy a larger stateroom so we go for the Sky Suite. Also, Suite category has more amentities, such as free admission to the Spa. Seems to me that if there are a handful of other things the C category gets, we could get in a Sky Suite if we ask. Just my opinion.

Kevin - in my mind there is little comparison. If you're willing to pay for the Sky Suite, you'll have more room, a real king-sized bed, a much nicer bathroom (marble, and with a jetted bathtub) a larger balcony (a little larger if you're on deck 10, WAY larger if you're on Sky deck) and a butler. I hear people say that they won't use a butler, but it can make a huge difference to your experience. We normally order room service breakfast, and we're perfectly happy to get the tray dropped off by our cabin attendant and arrange everything ourselves. But if you have a suite, the butler will lay out the meal on a tablecloth, arrange your silverwear, make sure you have salt and pepper, etc. The afternoon tea service and the hors d'ouvres are a very nice touch - we find ourselves planning to be back in the room around 4 p.m., so we're there when the butler is going by.

To me, a CC on Mercury is a regular-sized room with some nice luxury touches, but not in the same league as a Sky Suite. Note that on the M-Class the CC cabins are about 20 sf larger than other balcony cabins, but I don't believe they're any larger on the C-Class.

If you can get one of the four CC cabins on Sky deck, then you have the CC perks, plus an oversized balcony, at lower cost than the Sky Suite - I'd weigh that one carefully depending on the cost.

Be careful, because whichever you chose you'll have a hard time going back!

Kevin - in my mind there is little comparison. If you're willing to pay for the Sky Suite, you'll have more room, a real king-sized bed, a much nicer bathroom (marble, and with a jetted bathtub) a larger balcony (a little larger if you're on deck 10, WAY larger if you're on Sky deck) and a butler. I hear people say that they won't use a butler, but it can make a huge difference to your experience. We normally order room service breakfast, and we're perfectly happy to get the tray dropped off by our cabin attendant and arrange everything ourselves. But if you have a suite, the butler will lay out the meal on a tablecloth, arrange your silverwear, make sure you have salt and pepper, etc. The afternoon tea service and the hors d'ouvres are a very nice touch - we find ourselves planning to be back in the room around 4 p.m., so we're there when the butler is going by.

To me, a CC on Mercury is a regular-sized room with some nice luxury touches, but not in the same league as a Sky Suite. Note that on the M-Class the CC cabins are about 20 sf larger than other balcony cabins, but I don't believe they're any larger on the C-Class.

If you can get one of the four CC cabins on Sky deck, then you have the CC perks, plus an oversized balcony, at lower cost than the Sky Suite - I'd weigh that one carefully depending on the cost.

Be careful, because whichever you chose you'll have a hard time going back!

Bruce, Thank you for the knowledgeable insight. Your last line is a vital fact I am glad you included. We are unable to get one of the 4 CC cabins on Skydeck which I would have liked. Your info on "how" to make use of the butler service is appreciated. We booked 1226 on Mercury and so far I can't find a reason to go to CC if we do as you say and are able to the advantage of the butler service. I am sure my spouse will have no problem of making use of the jets in tub.

Still think your last line was the zinger. thx Kevin

I've been in one of each, sky suite on Century with the free use of the T pool which is better than on M class ships, the free capuccinos, jetted bathtub, large balcony with 2 loungers, 2 chairs and table, quiet location, easy access to food :D the butler to bring special canapes if you're having a get together, a little more room to move around in, but strangely, no flowers! You do have the extra person to tip in addition to the higher rate for the suite. Priority disembarkation and tendering is nice. Taking a nap on the balcony, in a fully extended lounger is very nice at sea or in port.

The CC cabin was on Millenium. Just enough larger than a standard cabin to make it feel bigger, with a balcony only large enough to accommodate 3 for breakfast (no loungers), flowers in bath and cabin, and that breakfast menu!! pillow menu, duvets, no extra tip except the steward gets $4 a day instead of $3.50. Also priority disembarkation and tendering.

To me it was a matter of price. The CC is very nice but you can't lie down on the balcony. But the sky suite is just a little nicer. But then I'm happy in a 2C also.

You tend to relax in your cabin more (than if you had an inside or ocean view only which might cause you to find a public lounging chair) if you have a large balcony, so if that's your style, go for the sky suite if money is no object.

To me it was a matter of price. The CC is very nice but you can't lie down on the balcony. But the sky suite is just a little nicer. But then I'm happy in a 2C also. (quoted from above)

It is my understanding that if you choose an aft CC cabin you get loungers. Does anyone know if this is true? The balconies are much bigger than regular CC.

It is my understanding that if you choose an aft CC cabin you get loungers. Does anyone know if this is true? The balconies are much bigger than regular CC.

Yes :) on M-class at least.

We booked 1226 on Mercury and so far I can't find a reason to go to CC if we do as you say and are able to the advantage of the butler service. I am sure my spouse will have no problem of making use of the jets in tub.

We will be in 1226 in early 2007. Looking forward to hearing how you found the stateroom :)

Two x cruises, both CC. Next one will be first in a Sky Suite. Why? Those massive aft verandas on the Connie spoiled us something bad. And now I learn of jetted tubs? Yum...

We' too, have moved from inside to outside to balcony to CC. Each move spoils us from going backward to a lesser cabin. This year (next month) we have scored one of the large aft FV cabins on Connie, and later this year we, too, are in cabin 1226 on a Galaxy transatlantic (I think cruise type and length may affect your choice). Going to be interesting to see if we get so spoiled we have to have a suite every time now. I'm guessing the aft CC cabins on M-class ships will continue to look good to us though.

All in all, I think Brucemcdou's input to you was dead on and complete. They are exactly the considerations I made in my cabin choices this year.

Rick

Archived