Hire a car in Cabo?

lissie

We're in our 60s well travelled - but DH hasn't been to Mexico - and I was  last there in 1987!  Then I drove from San Diego and caught a ferry to Mazatlan - I thought I'd been to Cabo then - but now I"m thinking I probably went to La Paz. 

I speak basic Spanish. 

I'd like to show my partner some actual Mexico - rather than the flashy yachts and expensive resorts so I'm guessing we'll need to get a car and get out of Cabo? Is hiring a car sensible in the area?  I'm comfortable driving on the wrong side of the road, is parking available?  Suggestions for a more authentic town ? 

The cruise has day tours to both Todos Santos and San Jose  unfortunately they are in opposite directions from each other - if you were interested in history, the beautiful desert and thought cacti were exotic - which would you pick? 

18 hours ago, lissie said:

Is hiring a car sensible in the area?  I'm comfortable driving on the wrong side of the road, is parking available?  Suggestions for a more authentic town ? 

The cruise has day tours to both Todos Santos and San Jose  unfortunately they are in opposite directions from each other - if you were interested in history, the beautiful desert and thought cacti were exotic - which would you pick? 

I've done two land-based trips to Los Cabos and have driven to both Todos Santos and San Jose, so I can't really speak to hiring a car as part of a port stop.  The drive to Todas Santos is relaxing and has more open landscape, whereas the drive to San Jose is mostly urban, commercial, and hectic.  I like both towns but I'd probably go with the tour to Todos Santos for what you are seeking.  TS still has a fairly sleepy little artist community vibe compared to SJ.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sprigs616 said:

I've done two land-based trips to Los Cabos and have driven to both Todos Santos and San Jose, so I can't really speak to hiring a car as part of a port stop.  The drive to Todas Santos is relaxing and has more open landscape, whereas the drive to San Jose is mostly urban, commercial, and hectic.  I like both towns but I'd probably go with the tour to Todos Santos for what you are seeking.  TS still has a fairly sleepy little artist community vibe compared to SJ.  

Thanks you  -  i remember Baja being so empty and deserted south of Ensenada - so  'hectic" blows my mind LOL. Sounds like a trip up to Todos might be good - all the tours seem to be all about the shopping so I'm leaning heavily to hiring a car 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lissie said:

Thanks you  -  i remember Baja being so empty and deserted south of Ensenada - so  'hectic" blows my mind LOL. Sounds like a trip up to Todos might be good - all the tours seem to be all about the shopping so I'm leaning heavily to hiring a car 

I've heard that it's more rustic as you travel east along the coast from San Jose but I don't have any first hand experience with that area. I don't think most cruisers venture very far from the port so you probably won't find information about the more rural areas on this board.  Maybe try TripAdvisor.  On one of my road trips, I did get up to Flora Farms for lunch one day.  FF is a bit outside of San Jose and off the normal tourist path.  Tamarindo is another farm in the same area; they offer cooking classes.  I hope you have a great visit.  

• Thanks 1