European Shore Excursions

I was just announcing that NCL finally updated the 2006 shore excursions for Europe on their website. Up until a few days ago they were still showing the 2005 excursions. This was part of the thread how out of date NCL's website is. Thanks for asking though!!!

My wife and I did RCL in the Med in late May of 2004. To me it looks like the prices are up maybe 15%. Its possible this is because of the currency difference but the prices don't seem to be out of line. If I had too pick what I thougt was a good deal I think I'll probably try the "Saint Paul de Vence" out of Nice. Its only a four hour tour and with the rest of the day maybe I can get a tan on the beach at Villedefrance. Cathy and I will be sailing on the 5/14 sailing. This time maybe we'll make it to Pompeii. Tim and Cathy

Norwegian Sky Alaska 05/03

Norwegian Star Hawaii 11/03

Royal Caribbean Splendor of the Seas Mediterrean 05/04

Holland America Oosterdam Mexican Riviera 12/05

Norwegian Jewel of the Seas Mediterrean 05/06 Booked and ready

Where did you all see the prices? I downloaded the Adobe file but it does not have prices. I also did the pre-request thing with my booking number and it lets me choose the excursion and the times. However, there are no prices. At least that I can see... Maybe I'm blind but can't find them.

Thank you!

Where did you all see the prices? I downloaded the Adobe file but it does not have prices. I also did the pre-request thing with my booking number and it lets me choose the excursion and the times. However, there are no prices. At least that I can see... Maybe I'm blind but can't find them.

Thank you!

Try this...

http://164.109.173.140/shorex/downloads/order_forms/eu_jewel_2006.pdf

As noted on the shore ex page, if you click on the sailing date you'll get the pre-request form and prices.

I say that it's "noted on the page," but I should add that many people have correctly pointed out that it's not a particularly easy way to organize the info and make it easy to find. It would take the webmaster little time to put in another column, "pre-request form and prices," but there I go ranking on NCL's site again...

Since this is my first cruise these questions may seem dumb...1) Is it safe to wait to book excursions on board ? 2 ) Other tour operators available once you get to port? If so, are they safe ? Since we are two women traveling alone I'm concerned with safety...Alert- many people have already warned me about purse snatchings especially in Barcelona. I'm bringing a money belt !

Thank you!

I guess since we are on the Transatlantic sailings, I didn't even think of clicking on the dates. lol! I still wanted to see the prices as we visit some the same Ports they have released information for.

Cruizinpooh

The prices seem high to me (about 22% higher than expected) I was pricing from other cruise lines to get an idea of how much I would be spending for 2 and I came up with about $1100 - now after seeing the prices for what I want, looks like I will be spending $1400 for 2 for the duration.

Now if I could find other people to share private tours that would be the way to go, but with only 2 people, the prices for the private tours are even higher since they price by the van/car load. It would be easier for say 6 people to share the cost as apposed to 2.

As far as booking on the ship, I did that on my last cruise to Western Caribbean since I was undecided up to the last minute and that worked out fine. Some I booked through the ship, some I waited until we docked and went private. Not sure if I want to chance it like that in Europe. At least I have a few months until my June sailing to decide!

Many of the ports in the Med are very easy to do on your own. However I would not attempt Rome on my own as the distances between sites are too great. If you dock at Naples it is very easy to go to Pompei/Herculaneum/ Capri on your own and much cheaper.

Let me know which ports you are going to and I'll try to give you some help.

Happy cruising

Yes, fern, any help would be appreciated. I finally booked the 5/21 cruise our of Barcelona. I took checked prices at other cruise sites to try to get an idea of what would be offered. I was thinking the train into Rome would be a good idea -- no traffic jams -- but have had a little bit of a time navigating the trains web site trying to find particulars.

Thanks to the op for the heads up.

Hi Jjaxon. Rome is quick by train from civitavecchia but if you are there on a Monday most "sites" shut plus the Italians are notorious for going on strike!! However I would risk it if you in port from say 8am. until 8p.m.

Naples is realy easy after you leave the dock headfor the "circumversuviana" train station not the train station for the rest of Italy. This line only goes as far as Sorrento. If you go to Pompei book to Pompei Scavi and the entrance is right next to the train station. If you go to Herculaneum book to Ercolano and walk straight down the street in front of the main entrance to the station(15_20 min if that) and there is the entrance. Either trip you will at the site before the tour buses have left the outskirts of Naples!!! As these are commuter lines the trains are frequent and efficient.

If any of the party is above pension age take their passports as in Italy they will get free or reduced entrance fees.

If you have time Sorrento is quaint but for me it would have to be Pompei, Herculaneum then Sorrento.

Capri can be reached easily form Naples on the hydrfoil which docks near to the cruise terminal.

What other ports are you going to?

How long are you in Barcelona just transit or time to look around?

Happy to give you any more info.

Hi Jjaxon. Rome is quick by train from civitavecchia but if you are there on a Monday most "sites" shut plus the Italians are notorious for going on strike!! However I would risk it if you in port from say 8am. until 8p.m.

Naples is realy easy after you leave the dock headfor the "circumversuviana" train station not the train station for the rest of Italy. This line only goes as far as Sorrento. If you go to Pompei book to Pompei Scavi and the entrance is right next to the train station. If you go to Herculaneum book to Ercolano and walk straight down the street in front of the main entrance to the station(15_20 min if that) and there is the entrance. Either trip you will at the site before the tour buses have left the outskirts of Naples!!! As these are commuter lines the trains are frequent and efficient.

If any of the party is above pension age take their passports as in Italy they will get free or reduced entrance fees.

If you have time Sorrento is quaint but for me it would have to be Pompei, Herculaneum then Sorrento.

Capri can be reached easily form Naples on the hydrfoil which docks near to the cruise terminal.

What other ports are you going to?

How long are you in Barcelona just transit or time to look around?

Happy to give you any more info.

Well, I'm not the person you asked...but we're going to be in Barcelona for 1 1/2 days....a quick list of the MUST SEE places would be great! plus any tricks, tips & suggestions!

Thanks,

stephen

Quick tips. eat tapas but not on Las Ramblas(you'll get ripped off). Go into the food market which (from the sea) is on the left and eat at the bars inside. Standing at a bar is cheaper than sitting at a table. Also if you want a full meal follow the workers off the main streets. Order beer from the pump or wine by the glass in bars and in many your tapa will be free or at very little cost. If you are a wine drinker like me the local wine may be a bit rough so ask for rioja. However rioja doesn't mean rioja in a bar but just a better quality wine.

Transpòrt is easy there are open top buses which you can "hop on and off". I think there are 2 routes now which you can interchange if you wish. Gaudi's buildings are a must , many on Las Ramblas as is the Gaudi museum. Don't forget the Sagrafamilial and the old Cathedral. If you like football or olympic games I suppose a viist to the Noucamp stadium is a must.

Have done Barcelona to Istanbul several times so which other ports are you visiting?

Happy cruising

Hi, we stopped at Livorno last year. When we stopped the port authorities had put on a coach to take us into the town of Livorno ( the port is very large and busy so it was easier to use the coach ), there was a small charge for this, I think it was a few euros. The coach dropped us off near the bus station where we got on a bus to the train station, from there it is very easy to get about. We got a train to Pisa, cost us about 5 - 7 euros and walked around Pisa on our own, very easy to find the famous sights, just ask someone which direction you need to head in. Trains ran every 30 - 40 minutes and the journey was about 15 minutes.

You must buy your bus and train tickets before you get on them, if you use the buses in town you must validate your ticket on the bus, there is a little machine by the doors that you put your ticket in and it marks the ticket. Same at the train station, except you use the machines by the ticket office or on the platforms. There are hefty fines if your tickets have not been validated. Just watch what the locals do and you will be fine.

I appreciate all the input to date ! Since the Jewel is new to this area there isn't much to go on...anybody going on the Jewel will appreciate any and all tips from the experienced cruisers. Sounds like in Rome you definately need to go through NCL. How far is the port from Rome ? All the excursions are like 8-10 hours. Any tips for Messina? One excursion takes you to the volcano.

The port is a long way from Rome. I would say go on a ships tour to Rome.

In Messina the ships dock virtually in the town so it is very easy to walk around the town. Don't miss visiting the Church with the superb clock tower, it is really special. Also it is possible to take a taxi tour from the town. Just agree the amount first and stick to it. Have a look at the ship's route as the last time we went north form Messina Stromboli was erupting and it was a magnificent sight. It is still an active volcano. Etna is not that impressive. Personally I think there is more to see than Mt. Etna.

Quick tip for any of you who have not been to Italy in some bars (especially those on motorways or in tourist sites)you order and pay for drinks at the cash point and take the ticket to the bartender.

From Livorno I agree with Bracket that it is easy to use the port bus into Pisa.

Are you going to Villfranche ?

If so it is a tender port. After you get off the tender walk along the harbour front to the train station from wher you can go to either Nice or Monte Carlo. Very swift and efficient.

Enjoy your cruise

Taormina is beautiful but we went to see it on our first visit to Messina and went on a ship's tour. How ever after that we always did things ourselves with no problem. Sicily has many beautiful and interesting places. One of the best archaeological sites is at Agrigento but probably too far from Messina. Last time in Messina we took a taxi(3 women) arranged a price and saw very interesting and unusual places and no tour bus in sight.

Have to say Sicilian drivers are a rule to themselves!!! If there is an empty lane they will use it whether it is in the right or wrong direction- but then that adds to the fun.

Archived