Difference in Radiance and Serenade ratings?

I'm taking either the Serenade or Radiance from San Diego to Vancouver for a 7 or 6 day cruise in May. My question is why is the Radiance rated a 3.5 star yet the Serenade a 4.5 star? The Radiance is 2 years older, is that the reason, or are there amenities accounting for the different rating? Since I plan a few days in Vancouver afterward, either will work for me and the price difference is significant. Anyone have any imput?

Regards,

Nancy

If these are CC ratings, I don't think I'd put too much stock in them. They are essentially the same ship. Radiance, as you point out, is a bit older. Serenade has a few minor cosmetic refinements. You'll have a great time on either ship.

If it were me, and there was a sig price difference, I'd book the less expensive cruise.

I've been on both the Serenade and the Radiance. The ships are almost identical. The Radiance is 2 years older. It's a matter of preference and price. We were spoiled by going on the Serenade when it was brand new, but just went on the Radiance in November and it was just as enjoyable. Yes, she shows some wear and tear (the elephants in the solarium lost their shine) and wasn't shining, but she just went into dry dock so she will all shined up and ready to go just like new.

Sorry to say, the dry dock appears to have been just about all mechanical maintenance and not a real sprucing up of the ship. I came off the Serenade last April saying it was the nicest ship I had sailed yet. I come off the Radiance having had a good time, but can name many ways the ship is showing it's age. Old, torn chairs in the Windjammer (not all of them, but a bunch), same in the Schooner bar. A lot of the woodworking is just fading and does not jump out at you like it did to me on the Serenade last year. Still like the layout of the ship, was just expecting it to be in better shape right after dry dock.

We were on the Radiance in March, 2003. What a great cruise we had on such a beautiful ship. From what I have read on these boards, the Radiance and its crew have won awards this year and last in the RC fleet. I tend to think that perhaps this rating was a typo or some other error. It definitely deserves more than 3+ stars.

Archived