Hatley Castle & Royal BC Museum

sclitlady

Has anyone done these excursions in Victoria? I see that they are now listed on the NCL 2006 excursion list but there is no description of the tour. I just wondered if anyone has any recommendations they would like to share. We are thinking of booking this because we have 2 teenage boys with us who love X-Men and those movies were filmed at Hatley Castle. I am surprised to see this excursion because these places normally are not open at night. (We are in port 6-12) I was originally going to do the garden tour. I appreciate any words of wisdom. Thanks.

Royal BC Museum is well worth doing. It is one of the best.

Not sure about Hatley Castle. I lived in Victoria for 22 years, and it was never recognized as a place to go. It is actually a building on the campus of Royal Roads University, which used to be a Canadian Military College. The grounds and gardens are nice and well kept, but if you're visiting I think you could spend the time on better things like the museum or Butchart Gardens.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

If I was you, I'd skip booking an excursion in Victoria at all. The Royal BC Museum is wonderful and worth the admission price (sorry but I'm unsure what the exact price is), but Hatley Castle??? I've lived in Victoria my whole life and have seen it on a number of occasions but would never suggest someone take a bus out of downtown Victoria to visit it. From where your cruise ship ports, you can walk into downtown Victoria, about 15 minutes, or catch a quick cab, or a horsedrawn buggy. Once you are at the museum, you are close to great shopping, awesome buildings, like the Parliament Buildings (right across the street from museum) and Empress Hotel (again, across the street) then walk up Government Street to do some shopping. Butchard Gardens is well worth a visit, if you are arriving early enough to get out there, but it's a 25 minute bus drive and unless you are crazy about gardens may not be up your alley. Whatever you do, Victoria is a gorgeous city and loads to do within walking distance from the ships port. Don't miss our Chinatown or sit along the Causeway and people watch. Enjoy!

Archived