Beware Viking's "Risk Free Guarantee"

lindalee4102

A group of 5 couples booked the Eastern European cruise with an extension to Transylvania in May, 2019 for a March 2020 departure. Four of our travelers were from the UK, 2 from Texas, 3 from Tennessee and 3 from Maryland. Due to COVID, it was cancelled by Viking. Did we want to reschedule? Yes we did, and we picked the same cruise with extension for the same week in 2021. Viking again cancelled the cruise due to COVID, which was understandable. We were contacted shortly thereafter about rebooking a third time. I was uncertain at that point because I am traveling with my 83 year-old mother and worried whether her health would continue to be as blessedly good in another year. We were told that if we wanted our money back, we could do that, or, behind the other door, if we had an unpaid balance of $50 or more, we could receive a voucher for 125% of what we had originally paid, and we had 24 months to rebook. We understood that if we wanted a refund, it was not the 125%. People with no balance could receive a voucher for 100% of our trip. We were told this was a "risk-free guarantee" and that we could cancel this trip up to 24 hours in advance of the cruise departure. Our added protection was the travel insurance policy we bought with the trip. We are 10 intelligent people with some travelling experience. In fact, this sounded perfect for our group, due to age, health and world situations, right? We were told that that the cruises were selling out quickly and if our group wanted to travel together, we had to book quickly. So, after listening to the explanation of the "risk-free policy" from the "customer service representative" we rescheduled for March 2022. We trusted the customer service agent to give us the details of their "Guarantee" and admittedly, I did not bother to read the written policy when I received it because I believed that Viking was dealing with us honestly. After numerous booking errors made by Viking requiring large amounts of time on hold waiting for a "customer service agent", fast forward to Feb. 2022, and the Russians have just invaded Ukraine. We do not feel comfortable being that close to what is now a war zone, and the frequent COVID testing, although perhaps understandable is, off-putting. It is also extremely difficult not to feel guilty taking a vacation in an area where people are literally running for their lives with all their worldly possessions on their backs. Additionally, I fell and broke my ankle and my doctor did not want me to travel because I am a fall risk and have not fully healed. What about the medical concern expressed by my doctor? Can't I just file a claim through my travel insurance and get our money back through them? Viking tells me no - that if I submit a claim through the insurance that Viking encourages you to purchase, the voucher will be voided. So, if for some reason my claim is denied, Viking gets to keep all $5,000+ of my money that they have already had for 3 years. I understand that COVID has wreaked havoc on Viking's business, but clearly many of us have been victims of the classic bait and switch tactic. The wording and meaning of "voucher" has been tossed around by Viking representatives to now imply that those of us who agreed to let Viking "keep" our thousands of dollars for 3 years were informed up front that by doing such, we'd lose the opportunity to ever be refunded. In fact, that is not what we were told. That is why it was a "risk-free guarantee." We are now being told by Viking that our choices are to walk away from the $5,000+ money from each of our ten travelers that Viking has had for three years or take a travel voucher for another trip. It is no longer our money and the travel insurance is useless because, according to Viking, it isn't money, it is a "voucher."  Additionally, upon speaking to the travel insurance company, I found out that Viking provided us all with the incorrect insurance policy, so many of the things I thought were covered under the policy, are not.  Including breaking my ankle prior to the trip.  I can't recall ever dealing with a company as dishonest and lacking in integrity as Viking.  

I am in the same situation.  Viking canceled the cruise we were to take last year due to covid.  We rebooked for next month but are hesitate due to the daily testing and fear of being disembarked.  But if we don't go, we will lose over $10,000.  Viking's risk free guarantee is worthless.  I agree with you about their dishonesty - I've been lied to over and over again.  We are done with Viking.

5 hours ago, PRaffen said:

I am in the same situation.  Viking canceled the cruise we were to take last year due to covid.  We rebooked for next month but are hesitate due to the daily testing and fear of being disembarked.  But if we don't go, we will lose over $10,000.  Viking's risk free guarantee is worthless.  I agree with you about their dishonesty - I've been lied to over and over again.  We are done with Viking.

I don't understand--you'd rather not know you are infected so you can keep spewing virus particles all over the place, just to save money?   Please explain.

Folks are reporting that Viking is giving them credit for the portion of their cruise they missed due to COVID.

I would rather they honor their risk free guarantee.  We wanted to rebook for the end of 2023 when hopefully there is no longer daily testing or testing to return to the US but would lose over $10,000.  

I don't want to worry every day of my big money vacation about being disembarked.  If you've read some of the experiences of passengers who were removed from their cruise, it was quite unpleasant with little to no communication/help from Viking.  To be fair, others had much better experiences.  But it's such a crap shoot - what kind of hotel will you be in?  will Viking pick up the tab? will they  help with flights back to the US? etc   No set policy that I have been able to find.  Too much angst for a vacation.  

• Like 1