Cagliari, Sardinia

tfg

Mildly curious about why you want info on beaches other than Poetta?

It runs for several  miles and the sand is lovely.  There are also facilities, including toilets, bars and little restaurants for snacks etc, and we saw sunbeds and umbrellas for rental too.  It is also  only a few minutes from Cagliari town and the port by public bus. Different beaches (of which there are many on the island) may not offer the same facilities which is something to consider.

At Poetta there is also the bonus of being able to view some of the many many  flamingos which are there,(flamingos are the symbol of Cagliari )the reason we were in that area.  The main road has the beach on one side and the flamingo lakes/lagoons?  on the other.   We saw hundreds of them. The nature reserve can also be explored although we didn't have time for that.  The tourist office had e-mailed us bus info and the name of the bus stop before we left home.

After sightseeing in town in the morning, we took the bus to see the flamingos then crossed over and walked a little on the beach before catching another bus back to the port.

We had a lovely day there.

Edited by edinburgher

Hi ,thanks for your reply. I have heard Poetta can get very busy in high season and maybe I could find a slightly quieter and more picturesque beach but I think I may go with Poetta after your recommendation, thank you

. I have heard Poetta can get very busy in high season.

I espect it will be, especially as August in Europe is the busiest month everywhere with multiple countries almost closing for the entire month. Because of this mass movement of holidaymakers, I honestly do not think you would find a quiet beach anywhere in Europe in August, you can expect them all to be busy.  I just thought that with that one so easy to reach and with all  the facilities on offer, and with it appearing to run for several miles, you would surely find a space large enough for your lounger (s).

If still determined to have beach time anywhere on your August  itinerary, do get there VERY early in the morning before the crowds descend, and if it is a Saturday or Sunday, be aware that others will be there from almost first light, iespecially if they need to park a vehicle.

• Thanks 1