Sea lice info

guitargirl

I don't know if anyone is as neurotic as I am, but I ordered some of that safe sea sea lice repellant, because the waters around the yucatan are apparently INFESTED with jellyfish larvae that get up into your swimsuit and can make for an unpleasant diving experience.

I have seen this repellant recommended on the board - apparently it really works.

Well here is a tip for you, if you decide to buy it. I went to the company's website. I don't want to put the link here, but it is called "nidaria" and that is their site.

Well the repellent is $10, but they wanted another $6 for shipping! But I got free shipping, and here's how I did it. I put the lotion in my cart. I started checking out, then when I got to the page where I put my name, I closed the page. A window popped up and said, if you complete your order now, we'll give you free shipping! They just want to know why you aborted. I stated because shipping was too high.

So there you have it, if you want the lotion, this is how to get it without the usurious shipping charge.

Glory 6/5 - 4 snorkel trips!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Thanks for passing this info on about the sea lice...always good to save a buck and also get the heads up that the sea lice season is booming. Thats has to be be some of the most annoying stuff to get on you..I could only imagine from hearing from other folks who have gotten it..ick!! eww ouch!!

Cyt

Atlantic

Oceanic

Norway

Enchantment of the Seas

Destiny

Voyager of the Seas

Conquest March 30th 2003

Glory May 29th 2004

Caribbean Princess Oct 23 2004

Thanks for letting all of us know about that, very helpful! Hey can you tell us more about this sea lice? What is it? How does it hurt or cause pain? This is the first time I've heard about it, sounds pretty icky...

~~Dolly

Carnival Jubilee 6/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Sea lice are minute jellyfish [larve?]. They are too small to see. They DO NOT attack, but they can get on you everywhere. When they are threatend, they sting. Getting squeezed in a tight place in your bathing suit, being exposed to air, and being exposed to fresh water are all deadly to them and thus are threats that cause them to sting. An immediate salt water shower is best but rarely available. Their stings leave an itchy, red, painful rash in the worst places. I understand cortizone works to reduce the rash.

Dan

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till 9/5 Paradise Panama Canal

I have lived on the Gulf Coast all my life, and had my first run-in with these little critters this past weekend.Oooohhhhhhh...We were in a beach cabin right on the water,so I was able to get out of it pretty fast.

Actually,you can see them...You could actually pick them up...very tiny,not much bigger than a couple of grains of sand...Looked like specks of pepper on a translusent body.I had never known(until I got home and looked the critters up)that they were jellyfish larvae!!

Rhapsody Reunion 9-12-04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

1_4_51.gif

The original poster mentions it can be an unpleasant "diving" experience if you have a run in with these lovely sounding critters...I'm wondering if that means they stay out in the deeper water where divers would be or are they a "threat" to everyone? We are planning on just swimming pretty close the shore (Paradise Beach) with the kids & wondering if we should be concerned.

I was born & raised in FL & can't believe I've never even heard of these things! icon_eek.gif

They are everywhere and sometimes they get into the ships pools thru the ocean water..so beware!!!

Cyt

Atlantic

Oceanic

Norway

Enchantment of the Seas

Destiny

Voyager of the Seas

Conquest March 30th 2003

Glory May 29th 2004

Caribbean Princess Oct 23 2004

Spawning season is between mother's day and father's day, mid-May to mid-June. This is when they're the worst. Remove your swim suit as soon as possible after exiting the water and BEFORE showering with fresh water. They get stuck in your suit and will sting if you shower with your suit on, leaving a rash in the exact shape of your suit. Pretty funny looking but not if it happens to you.

Jubilee..May 2002

Sensation...May 2003

Glory...April 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;4;17;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived