NCL Joy category SP Family Inside Suite questions

We are a family of 5 and thinking of booking the Family inside suite on the Joy.  NCL or my TA cant answer the following questions.

1) The rooms port side say they are 52 sf larger then the starboard side suites. 512 vs 564.  What is the difference in configuration?

2) some say they sleep 5 some 6.  I need to know if they all have a pullman bed.  Or do the cabins that hold 5 do not have the pullman?

3) Does this cabin category SP include any perks because it states you have Concierge access.  Anything else to know about?

Thank you.

We stayed in one just before the pandemic hit. It was a great room, and had a lot of space. 

I'll try to answer your questions as best I remember:

1. We were on the starboard side, and there are some minor differences in cabin configuration:

First, I believe the location of the closet in the living room differs. Ours was adjacent to the virtual balcony, but the deck plans show the closet to be next to the entry door. The configuration where it's next to the balcony might eat up some additional space.

Second, the second bedroom's bathroom is also in a different location on the deck plan, down a little hallway of sorts. Ours was on a slight angle right where that little hallway is located, and closer to the bed.

Third, our master bedroom closet was in front of the bed, not on the right side.

Lastly our entryway didn't have a little table adjacent to the door, either, while our neighbor across the hall did (I remember that).

The differences look to be very minor.

2. Ours slept 5, and had a Pullman, directly above the bed in the second bedroom.

3. I think perks have changed since we sailed (ours was "Concierge Class" when we sailed), but we had access to the concierge, and could get breakfast / lunch in La Cucina, which we enjoyed, particularly because it allowed us to sit outside on the Waterfront while we ate.

It was a fantastic room. We certainly weren't wanting for space—the cabin was huge. It was priced just a little higher than a balcony at the time, and we wanted DD to have her own bedroom.

If it had a real balcony, it would have been absolutely perfect, that was the only thing we missed. The virtual balcony was an interesting illusion, but sometimes didn't hold up (particularly at night when the picture got super grainy). 

Still, we'd book the same room again in a heartbeat.

1 minute ago, dcipjr said:

Still, we'd book the same room again in a heartbeat.

Glad to hear! We are sailing in the inside family suite on the Joy on the 29th of this month and I'm excited to see the room (even if it has no balcony/window). At around 500 square feet it's 1/3 the size of our house lol.

I am curious about the "virtual balcony." Does it just look like a giant TV screen or is there a glass or something to add to the illusion?

5 minutes ago, CleverUserNameHere said:

I am curious about the "virtual balcony." Does it just look like a giant TV screen or is there a glass or something to add to the illusion?

There is glass, and there's even a little railing! Not that you would want to stand at the railing, with your face against the screen. 😄 

DSCF4607.thumb.JPG.5cf0f510d78b03d0480454930b87cd8b.JPG

During the day, it's a nice little illusion, and can be helpful to see if you're in a port or not.

The curtains control the switching mechanism, so if they're closed, the screen turns off.

When you open them, it does take a moment for the window to boot up. 😄

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Any updates to amenities since you've cruised in this cabin, particularly access to the concierge/eating breakfast or lunch at La Cucina?  We're booked for August and haven't gotten a clear answer yet either.

14 minutes ago, zerafarg said:

Any updates to amenities since you've cruised in this cabin, particularly access to the concierge/eating breakfast or lunch at La Cucina?  We're booked for August and haven't gotten a clear answer yet either.

When did you book your cruise?   I ask because if it was before they took away the amenities, you might be entitled to a little OBC if you push the issue.

Well that's not cool!  We booked back at the end of February. I havent been able to get a straight answer from NCL or our concierge about what is/isnt included.  Considering bidding on the Haven upgrade if thats worth it.

No way you're getting any of the amenities previously listed.

I sailed in that cabin in April 2022 (last year); and by then, the amenities were gone.

That said, I don't regret that cabin at all.  It's very large with, essentially, 3 private sleeping areas, plus 2 full bathrooms. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zerafarg said:

Well that's not cool!  We booked back at the end of February. I havent been able to get a straight answer from NCL or our concierge about what is/isnt included.  Considering bidding on the Haven upgrade if thats worth it.

The change happened well before your booking.  After the change, they included two afternoon snack deliveries and priority boarding.  But if you left out of NYC, the priority boarding did not work unless you knew how to get around it.     I just looked now on the NCL website and I do see that now there is nothing listed as additional amenities.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zerafarg said:

Great input, thanks all.  Yes, leaving out of NYC wit ha family of 5 and they're all excited about the suite.  Any recommendations for the suite or leaving from NYC welcome!

Not exactly about leaving from NYC, but arriving back to NY. Are you coming back to NY? If not, ignore the rest.

Regardless of the time, make sure you're awake as you back into the city. I'm a NY'er (central NY, not cidiot) and the view of the our fine lady as you arrive back to NY Harbor is just extraordinary in the wee dawn hours the ship usually comes back. Then, seeing the skyline still lit up waiting for dawn to break is mesmerizing. I absolutely love coming back into the city. It makes it worth having to get off the ship! 

Wishing you the best trip! 

• Thanks 1

@zerafarg If your family of 5 is you and spouse and 3 kids, then settle in advance which kids sleep on the pull-out in the suite area of the cabin and which ones get to sleep in the bedroom/bath with a door.  You and spouse will (thankfully) get the peace and quiet of your own door, large bed, and private bath.  All the rooms have TVs and, as you know, the suite area has the giant screen showing the outdoors view.

In my opinion, leaving from NYC couldn't be any easier.  Park by the terminal.  $45/day, yes, is pricey, but it's extremely convenient.  Show-up around 10pm  That's my sweet spot for arrival given many, many sailings.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Not exactly about leaving from NYC, but arriving back to NY. Are you coming back to NY? If not, ignore the rest.

Regardless of the time, make sure you're awake as you back into the city. I'm a NY'er (central NY, not cidiot) and the view of the our fine lady as you arrive back to NY Harbor is just extraordinary in the wee dawn hours the ship usually comes back. Then, seeing the skyline still lit up waiting for dawn to break is mesmerizing. I absolutely love coming back into the city. It makes it worth having to get off the ship! 

Wishing you the best trip! 

We're "cidiots" but will be first cruise and first into/out of NYC so that is a great thing to keep in mind.  Lifelong NYer so those things are taken for granted in seeing it everyday - good to pull the kids faces away from screens to watch them enjoy! 

17 minutes ago, JGmf said:

@zerafarg If your family of 5 is you and spouse and 3 kids, then settle in advance which kids sleep on the pull-out in the suite area of the cabin and which ones get to sleep in the bedroom/bath with a door.  You and spouse will (thankfully) get the peace and quiet of your own door, large bed, and private bath.  All the rooms have TVs and, as you know, the suite area has the giant screen showing the outdoors view.

In my opinion, leaving from NYC couldn't be any easier.  Park by the terminal.  $45/day, yes, is pricey, but it's extremely convenient.  Show-up around 10pm  That's my sweet spot for arrival given many, many sailings.

Yes, started to show kids the room views and the haggling for who sleeps where has started already.  Haven't found great views of those sleeping areas with the actual lofts down or beds out (still searching) and the difference with a "potential" Haven suite that has a pull out in the ceiling over a pull out double bed (although looks small) - so if this indoor suite is as good as advertised I wouldnt think stretching a budget or bidding on a Haven suite.

Glad to hear thoughts on parking - was thinking of the same (other family offering to drive us down and drop us off...so we'll see about that).  Assuming you mean 10am arrival  😉  would be perfect, especially given it's a sunday departure.